The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Rather than ramble on and on, I would just simply say that any type of video reply for officiating purposes of a high school game is a bad idea.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

If most schools do not have a play clock how are we to expect them to have replay equipment?
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

IR has no place in HS football. It's already ruined NFL (For me anyway). Every play is even more scrutinized over and over again to see if it should be challenged, and I feel it's taken alot away from the game.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

In Minnesota hockey, I think the state tournament uses IR but of course they are using the TV stations' equipment. In Minnesota, hockey is a religion, so they have to do everything extra "special."

Good point made about play clocks. Only one field that we work on even has a play clock.

Good discussion, but it is very far from reality.
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Schools already have shot clocks for basketball, so I don't think it would be a big deal to get a play clock for football setup. We already have two schools with them installed and they used them only during the playoff games. The problem is who will run it for the regular season games?

For BB games, it's usually some school personnel who doesn't even have to be a certified official. For football, any clock operator has to be a certified official. Do we need that now for a play clock operator? I don't know if the contract covered it. If we do, that person is required to be in full uniform and is paid a certain contractual game fee specifically for clock operators.

As far as IR at the high school level.. please just say NO. :}
Old Sat Dec 13, 2008, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
We don't need a play clock and certainly do not want instant replay.

Just say no.
Old Sun Dec 14, 2008, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
In Minnesota hockey, I think the state tournament uses IR but of course they are using the TV stations' equipment. In Minnesota, hockey is a religion, so they have to do everything extra "special."

Good point made about play clocks. Only one field that we work on even has a play clock.

Good discussion, but it is very far from reality.
The biggest state tournament in Minnesota and to some extent in North Dakota is hockey. That seems so strange to me now since Indiana doesn't even sanction hockey.

Your comment about play clocks brings up another question. I can only recall one school I've only worked that did not have a play clock and they now have one. Some of the really small schools in the rural areas may not have them but we don't work too many games at those places.

The play clock and game clock operators are the responsibility of game management and sometimes they are the same person. We usually meet with them before the game and will take over the clocks on the field if we have too many problems. We have had a few instances where a play clock didn't work.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey View Post
Schools already have shot clocks for basketball, so I don't think it would be a big deal to get a play clock for football setup. We already have two schools with them installed and they used them only during the playoff games. The problem is who will run it for the regular season games?
REPLY: I've seen a football play clock (note I used the singular) at only one school here in NJ. It wasn't used in our game. I wouldn't have allowed it if they wanted to use it. There was only one at one end of the field. Kinda dumb, don't you think?
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

I've always been against instant replay. I espically hate the college application. I think it breaks up momentum in the game, I'd eliminate replay and finally get to the magical 3 hour game (which is happening in DIII now).

Look its a game, coaches and players make mistakes, so will officials. As long as those breaks go both ways I see no reason to over analize them.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2008, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

One play clock? absolutely Bob, I also would not permit it's use with only one or if either of them conked out. My experience this year with three games at these two fields was that they (the teams) liked having the visible play clock.
Only one delay call and it wouldn't have matter as they were so messed up that even a 40 second clock would not have been long enough.

There is a community college up the road an hour from my location where I've worked NCAA games and they set out a pair of portable play clocks that I'm told are also used for basketball. Very visible from the field and wired up to the press box clock operator for control.

I'm not advocating mandating PCs but if you have them or can get them installed cheaply, such as these portable ones, I say use them.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

I would love to have play clocks.

My philosophy is get as many snaps as possible in the game. I keep the 25 second clock fairly close and keep the offense informed therefore very few DOGs.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 04:36am
Do not give a damn!!

A play clock would be a great addition. I am tired of this part of the game being put only in the hands of the officials.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

With school districts around here talking about dropping any support for sports due to the state of California's budget, I seriously doubt money being dropped on unnecessary play clocks.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2008, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
The biggest state tournament in Minnesota and to some extent in North Dakota is hockey. That seems so strange to me now since Indiana doesn't even sanction hockey.
At Engelstad Arena ($110 million hockey facility) in Grand Forks they have replay available for NCAA games but they don't use it for HS hockey tournaments. I believe the IR for NCAA is used only for determining if a goal has been scored or not.

I don't think (maybe this is wishful thinking) that state HS associations philosophically believe that IR is necessary and that they believe that sports still have an educational value that is more important than winning at all costs.

However, there seems to be mounting pressure to make HS sports bigger and more like college or pro sports.