The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy First Time doing High School

I am new to these forums so let me first start off by saying hello to everyone.

Now here I go.........

I have been a Rec League Official for about 1.4 years now Doing grades 3-8, mainly 5-8 though, And I am soo addicted to officiating. I beleieve it to be one of the greatest things ever. I do not know anything about drugs but I assume this is what crack must be like because I can not get enough.

Recently I have wanted to move further up the ladder and do High School, but without any connections I was forced to hunt people (associations) down via the internet. I have emailed everyone I could find and it is starting to pay off. I have done some AAU stuff 8th grade and a little Adult mens league(which is kinda intense everybody over 6'1" and dunking thru me off, infact some of those guys arguing calls 24/7 intimidated me).

I have recently just come back from a camp working with 2-3 man mechanincs in Chico, CA. Alot of Veteran HS Ref's there, as well as some D-1 and JuCo guys there, I really learned ALOT. They said I had alot of rec league in my system, but that I was working it out very fast. The one thing they said again and again that I need is confidence. Now I know confidence is something that you can not teach, but I have been practicing day and night in the mirrror trying to look the part.

Well today I have some summer league HS boys Varsity to do and well I am a little nervous and was wondering if anybody had some pointers to get a rookie thru the day? getting better and doing HS ball is my DREAM and today I wanna do good, in fact I need to do good. Thank you guys very much.

jay
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to refgatormaz
Thumbs up

referee the defense

call the obvious

don't be afraid to make mistakes

have fun! you and the coaches both know its summer league

cheers and good luck!
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you Ima try.

It's funny cause that's what they taught me in camp, ref the D, I never knew that I use to just watch the guy with the ball or all the offenseive players in my area. I can not tell you how many illegal screens I missed or bad charge calls I made, Watching the D has opened the game for me.

thank you soo much.
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

There's nothing I can say that will make you substantially better and/or prepare you for your Varsity game. It takes time to get better, just be patitent, work hard and you will be rewarded.

Go out there, work your game and have fun. That's my advice, as far as some long term advice check out this thread: Things to work on There's some good stuff in there.
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

WOW thanx snake eyes that thread is awsome. So much knowledge on this forum. Well I am off, thanx alot snake and refgator.
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Jay -

Welcome to the board! I know the high you speak of. You feel A-L-I-V-E. Adrenaline rush especially as you get to ref HS varsity games. I'm sure you can't wait until tipoff! - nothing like it in this world.

What is most important in your first varsity game is (1) relax (you can do this by getting there early and having a good pre-game) (2) getting the call right (by knowing the rules and having a good feel for the game) and (3) consistency (if you call a charge down one end and a similar play happens down the other end, you call it the same). Looking pretty with your mechanics and signals will come with experience (and practicing in the mirror like you do). You will probably be working with experienced partners so they will help you out as far as rotations and game management. Also Communication is key. If there are 2 minutes left in the game and there is a timeout, meet with your partners to discuss things like team fouls, who has last shot, etc.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Jack
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Slow down, slow down, slow down.

I can pretty much guarantee that you need to slow down. Relax, see the whole play, be patient. Whistle, raise your arm, and bird dog if that's what the want you to do. Don't do all three at the same time and go running at the player. Take your time and let it come to you.

Welcome to the forum and good luck. Did I mention that you need to slow down?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

BBALLREF just gave you the best advice a new official could get. Slowing down and seeing the whole play will also help you relax so you can make the "big time" calls. You'll also look a heck of a lot better out there.
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 05:43am
Official Forum Member

Jayrefs17

Jayref, wondering if you were doing the Rocklin tourney ? Stop by the Rocklin big gym around 1 pm. and hollar at the refs. I am the taller, big goofy looking one. Sacramento's HS Assoc. is a pretty good one. Lots of guys willing to work with you. Meetings start up around mid October, which i assume they told you about at Chico....