Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack View Post
Does anybody really teach this tackle,
I was thinking the same thing -- that the previous poster was under some kind of misconception that collaring was a coached technique. It's such a difficult take-down, and so rarely useful, that nobody would waste time coaching it.

Quote:
or is it more of an instinctive, oh-my-god-i-can-only-get-one-hand-on-the-runner-and-when-i-do-i'm-pulling kind of a deal? if guys were in better position or could tackle normally, maybe they wouldn't be in bad positions where their last resort is to reach out and pull.
A horse collar can only be done from behind the runner, and from there it's almost the only kind of tackle that can be done, unless you're faster than the runner and can overtake him. If you're not, about the only other way is to launch yourself at the runner's legs, which not only risks a kick in the face, but also can produce an ACL injury to the ballcarrier if you manage to get your shoulder on a leg. So it seems to me that allowing the horse collar would be safer than banning it.

Robert
Old Wed Dec 03, 2008, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
What's to explain is whether the concussion was just coincidental, or whether there's something about collaring someone that makes a concussion more likely than by other forms of tackling. Seems to me it'd be less likely to cause a head hit than other types of tackling.

Robert
I guess that would depend on whether the back of the head bounces off the turf after the runner is pulled over backwards.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 09:35am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack View Post
Does anybody really teach this tackle, or is it more of an instinctive, oh-my-god-i-can-only-get-one-hand-on-the-runner-and-when-i-do-i'm-pulling kind of a deal? if guys were in better position or could tackle normally, maybe they wouldn't be in bad positions where their last resort is to reach out and pull.
Maybe not directly taught, but indirectly implied when teaching tackling. In other words, coach says "if you miss a shot at wrapping his legs up, and you're behind him, do whatever you gotta do!"
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 09:37am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
A horse collar can only be done from behind the runner, and from there it's almost the only kind of tackle that can be done, unless you're faster than the runner and can overtake him. If you're not, about the only other way is to launch yourself at the runner's legs, which not only risks a kick in the face, but also can produce an ACL injury to the ballcarrier if you manage to get your shoulder on a leg. So it seems to me that allowing the horse collar would be safer than banning it.
And a horse collar can't cause an ACL injury? I believe the NFL banned it because some players were suffering serious knee injuries because of it.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

O&B has a good comment.. no coach I have ever known has taught this kind of tackle.
Making "legislation" to penalize it will not stop it. Maybe making it an auto-eject offense might, but even then I have doubts

Last edited by Theisey; Thu Dec 04, 2008 at 12:06pm.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 10:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey View Post
O&B has a good comment.. no coach I have ever know as taught this kind of tackle.
Making "legislation" to penalize it will not stop it. Maybe making it an auto-eject offense might, but even then I have doubts
15 yards or touchdown, 15 yards or touchdown.......hmmmmm......they will still horse collar, regardless of the rules.
Old Thu Dec 04, 2008, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
And a horse collar can't cause an ACL injury?
Not that it can't, only that it's much less likely to do so than a hit on the leg.