The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 24, 2006, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Another Pay Survey

OK, it's that time of the year, kind of, where there ain't much going on, so I thought I'd liven things up a bit.

I'm wondering how much people around the country are getting paid per game for Varsity and JV games (High School). If you don't mind sharing your location and how much you make per game below, I'd appreciate it. Also, does the school get charged per official? per game?

And what happens if for instance, it's a per game fee, and for some reason, one guy can't make a game so instead of a 5 man crew, the game only gets 4....Do you still get paid the full fee, or is it prorated for the 4 that make it?
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 06:04am
Official Forum Member

Albany, NY area

For the 2005 season
Varsity: $74 for the R, $70 for other on-field officials, $39 for timer
JV/Frosh: $52 per official
Modified (Jr. High): $44 per official
Pop Warner: $41 for the R, $38 for other on-field officials, $30 for timer

Varsity games have 4 officials on-field, plus an official timer. Technically, schools can bring in a BJ if they can get approval from the section - but that approval was denied for last year, probably because our organization fought for changes to the new contract. Playoffs are 5 on-field plus the timer.

JV and lower scholastic games use 3 officials. (Probably the biggest change we wanted was to get these up to 4 officials, at least for JV.)

Pop Warner, on the other hand, happily springs for four officials on every game, all the way down to Mitey Mites. A few leagues also pay for an official timer.
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
OK, it's that time of the year, kind of, where there ain't much going on, so I thought I'd liven things up a bit.

I'm wondering how much people around the country are getting paid per game for Varsity and JV games (High School). If you don't mind sharing your location and how much you make per game below, I'd appreciate it. Also, does the school get charged per official? per game?

And what happens if for instance, it's a per game fee, and for some reason, one guy can't make a game so instead of a 5 man crew, the game only gets 4....Do you still get paid the full fee, or is it prorated for the 4 that make it?
The search feature is now operational.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

In MA as set by MIAA for the 2006 season:

Varsity: $77 for on-field officials, $55 for CO
Most leagues 5-man crews, a few leagues w/4-man crews
JV/Frosh: $55 for all officials
Most leagues 3-man crews w/time kept on the field
Thanksgiving Day: $92 for all officials
-------------------------------------------------------------
For local Pop Warner (fees vary by league and organization): $35 for all on-field officials (3 or 4 man crews), time kept on the field
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Fees in PA.

Varsity $63
I think JV and Freshman is in the $50 range
Middle School $43
Pop Warner $50 (for all officials, usually 3 man crew)
Old Thu May 25, 2006, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

We must have a low cost of living here in Ohio.
We do not have unions nor pay much in dues.

Varsity $50 to $65, usually $55 or $60.
JV $35 to $40
Frosh $30 to $35
Jr High $25 to $35
Old Fri May 26, 2006, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

In KY, the state poses for varsity, 60.00 a game. However, we have associations through out the state and they can have a higher rate, but the minimum is 60.00.

JV, 40.00

All in favor for a raise, here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sun May 28, 2006, 09:24pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes

New Jersey
Varsity $69 to $75 (5 Man Crew) ECO $50
Sub-varsity $45 to $52.50 (3 Man to 5 man crews depends on school)
Pop-Warner$45 (3 man crew)
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 05:47am
Official Forum Member

Pay in NW PA

The earlier reply for PA is higher than we make in Northwestern PA.
Varsity $54
JV $39
Subvarsity $35
Younger kids about $25
Varsity timers $39
Chain Crew (when schools hire officials) $30
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 07:51am
tpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaul
New Jersey
Varsity $69 to $75 (5 Man Crew) ECO $50
Sub-varsity $45 to $52.50 (3 Man to 5 man crews depends on school)
Pop-Warner$45 (3 man crew)

I forgot:
Chain Crew (when schools hire officials) $40 to $45
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

In Texas varsity games are based on the gate receipts, so the pay is something like $40 on up. In most varsity games, the officials should make a minimum of about $75 and on up. $200+ may be rare, but certainly not out of the question, and $125-175 happens frequently in the larger metro areas.

Sub varsity pay rate is supposed to change this year with a flat $40 per game. In Texas, sub varsity means JV down to 7th grade. Everything else we call "pee-wee" which could be YMCA, city leagues, or CYO (if there are any around). From what I hear, most of those leagues around here pay $40 a game. Not bad since working 4 games is fairly easy (from what I'm told).

Texas varsity is 5 man. Period. The only exception would be a man going down during the game and the R not wanting to insert one of the chain guys (which is stupid). At any rate, our secretary will have a 5th guy at the game, even if someone is a late scratch.

Last edited by Texas Aggie; Mon May 29, 2006 at 06:15pm.
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Actullay I know of at least 1 Chapter which has used 6 man crews at times. It was done at the request of both coaches and was in "pre season" games and playoff games. Not aware of a District game where it was ever used.
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 06:56pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike
Actullay I know of at least 1 Chapter which has used 6 man crews at times. It was done at the request of both coaches and was in "pre season" games and playoff games. Not aware of a District game where it was ever used.
In New Jersey, they are toying around with trying a 7 man crew for the play-offs. But when they figure out the money that kills the idea. This season they have raised our fees for the play-off games...Which is now $75 per man.

$75 x 5 = $375
$75 x 7 = $525
Old Mon May 29, 2006, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Mike: what I meant was there will be at least 5 officials in every varsity game assigned, at least everywhere I'm aware of. There are other rumors this year that Houston and SA have entertained the coaches requests for 7 man crews. Whether TASO/UIL will OK that remains to be seen. TASO basically "threatened" (too strong a word, but their attitude about it was harsh) basketball officials against wearing gray shirts in any HS competition in Texas, including in-season tournaments that aren't assigned by TASO chapter secretaries but by a tournament director. I can see them in football saying NO WAY to the 7 man deal, but we'll see.

If we went to 7 man where I work, even for only 25 games, I'd love it.
Old Tue May 30, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

We barely have enough officials to cover 5 man crews. There are nights where we use only a 4 man crew. On the very busy nights we also have to give some games away to other chapters.