The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Survey

The annual NFHS survey on rules is now available (might have been for a while, but I just found it). The link is:
https://www.nfhs.org/custom/active_surveys/default.aspx

You will have to be an NFHS member and login to take the survey. It has one page on the newly implemented rules from this season, one on general Points-of-Emphasis, and one on possible rule changes.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grail
You will have to be an NFHS member and login to take the survey. It has one page on the newly implemented rules from this season, one on general Points-of-Emphasis, and one on possible rule changes.
Does NFHS charge to be a member?
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 02:38pm
M.A.S.H.

It might have just came out. I usually get an e-mail telling me it's out.

Either way I took it.

I knew this question was going to be on there:
8. Improved communication between coaches and officials since the calling official remains tableside after a foul.

Guess what...we are going opposite next year.

For those who aren't members, here is the "Would you favor" section of the survey.

WOULD YOU FAVOR:

1. Having a team receive only one “team” technical foul for any and all illegal uniform design violations (currently it is a player technical foul for each starter and substitute entering the game with an illegal uniform).

2. Having the rules book define what constitutes a “dark” uniform.

3. Having any item that goes around the entire head (elastic strips/bands, pre-wrap, headbands, etc.) meet the same rule requirements regarding color uniformity (currently only the headband must meet those requirements)?

4. Having all hair-control devices and headbands (rubber bands, scrunchies, pre-wrap, etc.) meet the same rule requirements regarding color uniformity (currently there is no color restriction for hair-control devices).

5. During a free throw, moving all players up one space and leaving the two marked lane spaces closest to the end line vacant (currently spaces nearest the shooter are vacant).

6. During a throw-in, having an illegal screen or any foul by the throw-in team considered a team-control foul resulting in a throw-in to the offended team (currently free throws could be awarded if a team is in the bonus).

7. If not recognized immediately, having the penalty for an excessive time-out only permitted to be assessed within the correctable error timeframe (currently it can be penalized whenever it is discovered).

8. Having the penalty for an excessive time-out only assessed while being violated; once the ball becomes live, it’s too late to penalize.

9. If the defense commits an excessively swinging the elbows violation while a try is in flight, ignoring the violation if the try is successful.

10. Eliminating the resumption-of-play procedure (putting the ball down on the floor) and replacing it with a delay warning being issued to the offending team, with any subsequent delay – as with all delays – resulting in a technical foul.

11. Beginning an overtime period with a throw-in by the team entitled to the ball under the alternating-possession procedure.

12. Adding an additional signal to the signal chart for a hit to the head.

13. Adding an additional signal to the signal chart for hook/wrap.

14. Adding an additional signal to the signal chart for a trip.

15. Adding an additional signal to the signal chart for basket interference.

16. Adding an additional signal to the signal chart for an official’s accidental whistle.

We could end up having some interesting signals...
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
12. Adding an additional signal to the signal chart for a hit to the head.

13. Adding an additional signal to the signal chart for hook/wrap.

15. Adding an additional signal to the signal chart for basket interference.

16. Adding an additional signal to the signal chart for an official’s accidental whistle.
What's more fun than figuring out how they're going to fit 5 new signals on the chart is guessing what the signals will be.

I like the "Doh!" smack to the forehead for number 12, the "self-hug" for 13, laying prone on the floor for 14, a wagging "get that out of here" finger for 15, and 16 should simply be running to the locker room with your head up your a$$.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Who in their right mind would favor more rules regarding the color of stuff worn in the hair? The NFHS should track all responses to questions 3 and 4. Any official answering yes, should be banned from working any further games.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Who in their right mind would favor more rules regarding the color of stuff worn in the hair? The NFHS should track all responses to questions 3 and 4. Any official answering yes, should be banned from working any further games.
I would.

This would make it in line with women's college, which is EASIER, not more difficult, than HS basketball. You don't have to worry if it's a head band, or a hair control device, or pre-wrap, or whatever.

If it goes around their head, it has to be a legal color, and everyone has to wear the same color. Period.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 03:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
What's more fun than figuring out how they're going to fit 5 new signals on the chart is guessing what the signals will be.

I like the "Doh!" smack to the forehead for number 12, the "self-hug" for 13, laying prone on the floor for 14, a wagging "get that out of here" finger for 15, and 16 should simply be running to the locker room with your head up your a$$.
I'm guessing 12, 13, and 15 are the signals many officials already use: The smack to the side of the head, the one-armed breaststroke, and the traditional one-fingered "whoopie-doo" signal (no, not that finger).

Was the "stop flopping and get up" signal on the survey?
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

11. Beginning an overtime period with a throw-in by the team entitled to the ball under the alternating-possession procedure. (Keep the jump ball to start overtime)
12. Adding an additional signal to the signal chart for a hit to the head. (Keep illegal use of hand signal meets the intent).
13. Adding an additional signal to the signal chart for hook/wrap. (Keep the hold signal that's what a hook and wrap is a hold).
14. Adding an additional signal to the signal chart for a trip. (Keep the block signal that what a trip is)
15. Adding an additional signal to the signal chart for basket interference. (Wave off; no need to change)

16. Adding an additional signal to the signal chart for an official’s accidental whistle.(I agree with jdw).

Penalize officials who refuse to use the appropriate signals in NFHS books. No post season assignments.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpneck
I would.

This would make it in line with women's college, which is EASIER, not more difficult, than HS basketball. You don't have to worry if it's a head band, or a hair control device, or pre-wrap, or whatever.

If it goes around their head, it has to be a legal color, and everyone has to wear the same color. Period.
So are you in favor of this because it will be easier to remember because they'll be consistent? Or do you just really like fashion police
work?
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 06:55pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
While not an advocate of OVERloading us with more signals, I wouldnt mind seeing a signal for at trip.

We've discussed this before on the forum - happens often enough, sometimes its not really a block and other times not a push......but then you have the player shplattered all over the court in a heap.......JMO
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 08:40pm
certified Hot Mom tester

The only thing encouraging about this list is they're not asking about signals for over-the-back and reaching.

BTW - since OT is an extension of the fourth quarter, shouldn't we start it with a POI from how the fourth quarter ended? It wouldn't have any effect on me, however, since I don't allow overtimes.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 10:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
11. Beginning an overtime period with a throw-in by the team entitled to the ball under the alternating-possession procedure. (Keep the jump ball to start overtime)
12. Adding an additional signal to the signal chart for a hit to the head. (Keep illegal use of hand signal meets the intent).
13. Adding an additional signal to the signal chart for hook/wrap. (Keep the hold signal that's what a hook and wrap is a hold).
14. Adding an additional signal to the signal chart for a trip. (Keep the block signal that what a trip is)
15. Adding an additional signal to the signal chart for basket interference. (Wave off; no need to change)

16. Adding an additional signal to the signal chart for an official’s accidental whistle.(I agree with jdw).

Penalize officials who refuse to use the appropriate signals in NFHS books. No post season assignments.
The illegal use of the hands look like a hack on the arms. Regardless of the intent a lot of officials hit the side of the head and should be encouraged to do so. It communicates the foul a heckuva lot better.

Why should the goal be to minimize the signals? The goal should be to communicate the best way possible.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
The illegal use of the hands look like a hack on the arms. Regardless of the intent a lot of officials hit the side of the head and should be encouraged to do so. It communicates the foul a heckuva lot better.

Why should the goal be to minimize the signals? The goal should be to communicate the best way possible.
A hit to the side of the head is an illegal use of the hands UP SIDE someones head. You have standard signals that communicates very well IMO.

Sh!t some can barely reference the rules. Keep the signals as simple as possible.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Question No overtimes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
The only thing encouraging about this list is they're not asking about signals for over-the-back and reaching.

BTW - since OT is an extension of the fourth quarter, shouldn't we start it with a POI from how the fourth quarter ended? It wouldn't have any effect on me, however, since I don't allow overtimes.

Hey Mark,
What do you mean that you don't allow overtimes?
Billy
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyc8037
Hey Mark,
What do you mean that you don't allow overtimes?
Billy
I think he means there might be a phantom shooting foul called to break the tie and not allow the game to go into OT.