The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Apparently they appealed to the state supreme court, even.

See, this is the can of worms you open when you make exceptions to rules.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

I’ll bet this situation is less about rule knowledge or lack thereof and more about how to apply filters to make an important decision while under extreme pressure - that’s the direction this discussion should move. A little empathy for a fellow official(s), that you know feels worse than anybody, wouldn’t hurt either.
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 11:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

It is ALL about what dumbref said.

It's about being able to step back, gather the crew, and lead. There's no way that a good crew chief wouldn't sort this out if he had kept a level head and asked the right questions. Unless, of course, he simply didn't know the rules, which would be a shame.
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Mississippi High School Football Game Goes All The Way To State Supreme Court

Found this on another board
Old Sat Nov 22, 2008, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thank the good Lord for web-embedded video!!

An incomplete IFP.

Could it be the crew ruled fumble, but then came and talked about it, and it then went to IFP? Play didn't end when the ball hit the ground. Rule fumble and it's game over. Perhaps they out-thought themselves.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

regarding protests

Regarding the fact that protests are not allowed, I believe in 99% of all cases a reversal such as this would be dangerous as a precedent.

But in this case there is a clear and obvious exception.

By rule, the GAME WAS OVER. The mistake by the officials, therefore, actually came after the game was technically complete. I believe that gives the Mississippi office what it needed. Basically, they did not need to overturn anything. All they had to do was revert the game to the correct conclusion of the game.
Old Sun Nov 23, 2008, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Second, here is a (poor) video, and from the location in the stands, apparently shot by a Leland fan.

Walnut-Leland Game End
The LJ/HL appears to have thrown a bean bag - I wonder how they came up to Illegal Forward Pass, and then if they did rule that, did nobody realize that the ball hit the ground??

Last edited by GPC2; Sun Nov 23, 2008 at 06:02pm.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2008, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbref View Post
I’ll bet this situation is less about rule knowledge or lack thereof and more about how to apply filters to make an important decision while under extreme pressure - that’s the direction this discussion should move. A little empathy for a fellow official(s), that you know feels worse than anybody, wouldn’t hurt either.
Oh, no question.

What was the play in New York earlier in the year, the one that one of our posters had? We were empathetic in that instance.

No doubt, no one feels worse than they do. We ALL make mistakes. They're just not all in state playoff games, and they don't usually go to the state supreme court.

I agree with you, though - this is a pressure-filled job. Some handle it better than others. My guess is that one handles it better after one kicks it than after just studying. They always say "crash and burn is the way to learn."
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

from looking at the video.
There are two plays.
From what I see on the video it appears that they ruled the forward pass as a penalty. Becuase the black team recoved in the endzone.
And then gave an untimed down.
Why would they run another play after the forward pass?

NEVERMIND- I went back and read the first page again. Got lost in all the replys.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M. View Post
REPLY: No Mike...If the IFP was caught, the play would continue until the down ended by rule. Acceptance of the penalty would not result in an untimed down. That's the rule change referred to in an earlier post. A few years back the Fed changed the rule to say that if there is a foul during the last timed down of a period and the penalty for that foul includes loss of down, there is no untimed down.
Could someone give the rule that does not allow an untimed down in this situatation.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 09:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike View Post
Call - Walnut reinstated to 2A playoffs[/url]
Proctor wouldn’t give names of the officiating crew for the game, but says the entire crew has been suspended for the 2008 and 2009 playoffs. He says the crew will also be on probation during the 2009 regular season.

“We are real pleased with the decision,” said Walnut coach Timmy Moore, who has coached at the Tippah County school since 1993. “We felt like the activities association and executive committee would do the proper thing and correct a wrong. I knew I had a great case and I knew we were right.”

Leland coach Eugene Sanders says he and his players were disappointed.

“The (game) officials made their decision and it was a judgment call,” Sanders said. “It should be decided by officials and not people sitting behind a desk. What were my children supposed to do? All we can do is go by what the referees say.”

Leland finished the season at 9-3.
With due respect to a tough situation I always get a kick out of coaches when I read these things. If the roles were reversed the coaches would simply trade cue cards. The Walnut coach would say what the Leland coach says and the Leland coach would say what the Walnut coach says.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

At least all is now right in the world....Walnut lost to Eupora 28 - 7. No word on the controversial 22 point play allowed on the final play for the victory!
Old Tue Nov 25, 2008, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
Could someone give the rule that does not allow an untimed down in this situatation.
Got any books?

see rule book 3-3-4-b-3 and its "note"

Then see case book 3.3.4 Sit A and Sit B

it's spelled out about as clearly as you can.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey View Post
Got any books?

see rule book 3-3-4-b-3 and its "note"

Then see case book 3.3.4 Sit A and Sit B

it's spelled out about as clearly as you can.

Thanks
Old Wed Nov 26, 2008, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

The state got it right. I think the state should rule in such cases of an obvious mistake in rule interpretation. There should be no protests in judgment calls.

I don't think the rules are all that complicated. This rule was put in to eliminate a loophole that allowed the offense to get another play by deliberately fouling.

Good rule and good job by the state.

My problem is with the crew on the field. If it is like many crews, the non-whitehats usually leave penalty enforcement knowledge to the whitehat. What should have happened was one or more of them helping the whitehat get it right by stepping up and correcting him. As a whitehat, I'd love to have someone on my crew step up when I need help.