The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal Forward Pass Ruling in SD-PIT Game

Here's what the NFL.com play-by-play says:

1-10-SD 21 (:05) (Shotgun) 17-P.Rivers pass short middle to 21-L.Tomlinson to SD 24 for 3 yards. Lateral to 89-C.Chambers to SD 26 for 2 yards (43-T.Polamalu). FUMBLES (43-T.Polamalu), RECOVERED by PIT-43-T.Polamalu at SD 12. 43-T.Polamalu for 12 yards, TOUCHDOWN. The Replay Assistant challenged the backward pass ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Shotgun) 17-P.Rivers pass short middle to 21-L.Tomlinson, dead ball declared at SD 26 for 5 yards. PENALTY on SD-21-L.Tomlinson, Illegal Forward Pass, 0 yards, enforced at SD 5.

After the review, the referee (Scott Green) seemed confused as to the ruling, initially stating that the touchdown stood. Right before the extra point attempt, all the officials got together. Then, Green ruled that there was no touchdown and the game was over.

The pass in question was attempted by Tomlinson and caught by Chris Chambers. Is it correct for the play to end there?

Last edited by SportsFan; Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 08:38pm.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I believe the penalty ended up being accepted by PIT so they would not have to run a PAT. That takes the TD off the board.

I believe.

But the ball also may be dead in the last two minutes if its illegally forwarded.

I'll leave it to the football guys
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11 View Post
I believe the penalty ended up being accepted by PIT so they would not have to run a PAT. That takes the TD off the board.

I believe.

But the ball also may be dead in the last two minutes if its illegally forwarded.

I'll leave it to the football guys
Oh, wow. That is a very good point. I didn't notice that the play-by-play says the penalty was accepted. However, I don't think that's what the referee said on the field. (It was hard to hear.)

I don't know what the rules are in the final two minutes for an illegal forward pass. For a fumble in the last two minutes, if the defense recovers, they can advance it.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Also, it says "dead ball declared at SD 26 for 5 yards," which seems to indicate that the ball would be dead even if the penalty was declined.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

According to our friends at profootball.com the ref made a mistake.

ProFootballTalk.com - REFEREE ADMITS ERROR AT END OF CHARGERS-STEELERS GAME

“The rule was misinterpreted,” Green said. “We should have let the play go through in the end, yes. It was misinterpreted that instead of killing the play we should have let the play go through.”
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmanxp View Post
According to our friends at profootball.com the ref made a mistake.

ProFootballTalk.com - REFEREE ADMITS ERROR AT END OF CHARGERS-STEELERS GAME

“The rule was misinterpreted,” Green said. “We should have let the play go through in the end, yes. It was misinterpreted that instead of killing the play we should have let the play go through.”
I don't see how he can claim the rule was misinterpreted. His crew simply remembered the play incorrectly. The illegal forward pass was caught, and they thought it wasn't. But it's good to see him take responsibility, even though it appeared to be his crew who talked him into making the wrong ruling. He had it right at first.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Disclaimer: Football official with no NFL rules experience - discussion is based on football fundamentals

1) Play continues on a completed illegal forward pass
2) While a backward pass appears to be treated as a fumble there is a distinct difference; a fumble is an involuntary loss of player possession while a backward pass is a voluntary loss of player possession - two distinct occurrences and treated differently
3) The result of the play was a TD for Pittsburgh
4) Acceptance of the penalty requires an untimed down for SD (Quarter/Half may not end with an accepted penalty)
5) Declining the penalty forces the result of the play to stand (Pgh would surely decline the IFP penalty for the TD)
6) The Point After Touhdown (PAT) is an untimed down that must be completed
7) Replay Official/Referee/Crew choked
8) Score 17/18 Pittsburgh - 10 SD
9) None of these seven officials will work play-off or super bowl games this season
10) Reliance on the rules knowledge of announcers is - at best - foolhardy Example: lateral - no such definition in any football rules manual

Last edited by b10mtrk; Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 10:44pm.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b10mtrk View Post
Disclaimer: Football official with no NFL rules experience - discussion is based on football fundamentals

1) Play continues on a completed illegal forward pass
2) The result of the play was a TD for Pittsburgh
3) Acceptance of the penalty requires an untimed down for SD (Quarter/Half may not end with an accepted penalty)
4) Declining the penalty forces the result of the play to stand (Pgh would surely decline the IFP penalty for the TD)
5) The Point After Touhdown (PAT) is an untimed down that must be completed
6) Replay Official/Referee/Crew choked
7) Score 17/18 Pittsburgh - 10 SD
8) None of these seven officials will work play-off or super bowl games this season
I believe everything you said is correct.

Last edited by SportsFan; Sun Nov 16, 2008 at 10:46pm. Reason: silly mistake by me
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by b10mtrk View Post

2) While a backward pass appears to be treated as a fumble there is a distinct difference; a fumble is an involuntary loss of player possession while a backward pass is a voluntary loss of player possession - two distinct occurrences and treated differently
How are they treated differently?

Quote:
4) Acceptance of the penalty requires an untimed down for SD (Quarter/Half may not end with an accepted penalty)
Not true, at least not under FED rules. There will be no untimed down if the penalty includes a loss of down provision.

Quote:
6) The Point After Touhdown (PAT) is an untimed down that must be completed
Again, not true under FED.

Quote:
10) Reliance on the rules knowledge of announcers is - at best - foolhardy Example: lateral - no such definition in any football rules manual
Because, as a wise man once said, "Announcers are idiots."
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Under NFL rules, I believe the PAT would still have been attempted. At least, they were lining up for it.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

In response to waltjp (NFL disclaimer still on notice)

2) Backward pass/Fumble - National Federation (NF) has no restrictions on the recovering team advancing either, I believe the NFL has some restrictions regarding advancing fumbles in some situations - I am unaware of any NFL restrictions on advancing recovered backward passes.

4) Correct (NF) - Loss of Down (LOD) penalties negate an untimed down requirement for last play of quarter/half. However; I am unsure if IFP is an NFL LOD penalty. Good point

6) Correct in part (NF rules) - individual state associations can, and do, require PATs on game ending TDs. Pennsylvania so requires because Gardner Points are used as tie breakers for play-off spots and other states do as well.

SO - some folks with rule knowledge actually pay attention - this is good

Kudos to walt - keep posters honest
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 06:08am
Seriously Coach?

The officials blew it and admitted it.

The first "lateral" was ruled the illegal forward pass. For some reason, the crew declared the play dead at that point. The IFP was caught by the offense and advanced followed by the backwards pass that was fumbled, recovered by the defense and advanced for the score. Not sure where the confusion comes from, if they thought the IFP touched the ground or if an IFP becomes dead immediately?
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

I wonder how much hate mail Scott Green is going to get from people who picked Pittsburgh in the spread. Wasn't 4.5 or 5? On an illegal forward pass if completed you throw a flag and let they play continue. If went incomplete you would blow it dead right? It would 5 yards and loss of down.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 12:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

So, are they saying the Steeler's didn't get the option to decline or accept the penalty?
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Questions on this topic:

1) Lets say LT threw an IFP and it was caught. And the play goes on. Since it was an IFP and the ball was caught the defense can either accept or decline the penalty? Correct?

2) If the IFP was dropped then you cannot accept or decline the penalty. The ball is dead. Correct?

3) How does an NFL official getting paid six figures for a half year of work not know the rules? Plus he has like 5 other helpers and a replay official. Pretty bad. Correct?