The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal Forward Pass?

A1 drops back to pass, but then runs beyond the line of scrimmage. To avoid a tackle, he retreats back behind the line of scrimmage, and then throws a forward pass beyond the line. Is this a foul? Would it make any difference if the pass did not go beyond the line? Thanks for everyone's help and input.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

It is a foul and no, it wouldn't make a difference, at least under NCAA. I assume all codes are virtually identical. There is no stipulation under the rule about the forward pass crossing the line of scrimmage.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson_28602
A1 drops back to pass, but then runs beyond the line of scrimmage. To avoid a tackle, he retreats back behind the line of scrimmage, and then throws a forward pass beyond the line. Is this a foul? Would it make any difference if the pass did not go beyond the line? Thanks for everyone's help and input.
Legal under NFHS.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 02:29am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
A1 drops back to pass, but then runs beyond the line of scrimmage. To avoid a tackle, he retreats back behind the line of scrimmage, and then throws a forward pass beyond the line. Is this a foul?
No. The first from-scrimmage forward pass was thrown from behind the LS. Nothing illegal about that.

Quote:
Would it make any difference if the pass did not go beyond the line?
No. This still qualifies as a screen pass and the blocking downfield exceptions still apply. (Interresting ruling to confirm though, given our recent rule changes surrounding screen passes.)
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 02:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
It is a foul and no, it wouldn't make a difference, at least under NCAA. I assume all codes are virtually identical. There is no stipulation under the rule about the forward pass crossing the line of scrimmage.
You'd assume wrong for HS play in 48 states
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I'm truthfully shocked that this is legal in fed. It violates, to me, just about every offensive principle of football.

Another reason why I pray Texas does not go Fed next year or ever. However, I will make clear from now on that I don't know fed, as I've only seen the cover of a Fed football book once (~1990) and have never opened it.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 03:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I'm truthfully shocked that this is legal in fed. It violates, to me, just about every offensive principle of football.

Another reason why I pray Texas does not go Fed next year or ever. However, I will make clear from now on that I don't know fed, as I've only seen the cover of a Fed football book once (~1990) and have never opened it.
I think blocking below the waist in the open field is pretty dangerous, so we're even.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

legal

That's legal under NFHS. Need to watch for the ineligibles down field when the ball is thrown. No telling where the line guys will be when the QB passes the LOS.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineJudgeLou
That's legal under NFHS. Need to watch for the ineligibles down field when the ball is thrown. No telling where the line guys will be when the QB passes the LOS.
Ya, and you'd better look a little further downfield than normal, cuz they may think he can do nothing but run after crossing the LOS and be 15-20 yards downfield before he throws it.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
Ya, and you'd better look a little further downfield than normal, cuz they may think he can do nothing but run after crossing the LOS and be 15-20 yards downfield before he throws it.
I'd be shocked if no ineligibles were downfield on this play. Your first clue as an umpire would be if you looked around and you felt really lonely near the LOS.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Also, remember (under Fed) the QB can go downfield and then retreat behind the line to throw the pass but the linemen cannot. If Tackle A76 goes downfield and then retreats back behind the line and then a legal pass is thrown downfield, it is a foul on A76 for being downfield earlier in the play.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And the 2 forward passes on a play that was legal 2 years ago didn't violate your offensive principles? Sure did mine - glad they got rid of that.

I think even this is legal in FED - sweep around the right side, RB goes 5 yards past the line of scrimmage, and throws it back to QB, who (assuming no illegally downfield linemen or illegal blocks downfield by any offensive players) then throws it 40 yards downfield to the left for a TD.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...I've only seen the cover of a Fed football book once (~1990) and have never opened it.
REPLY: Unfortunately, there are probably a number of FEDERATION officials who can say the same thing!