The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

How does an umpire get outside the tackles like that? I've never seen one that far outside before...
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
How does an umpire get outside the tackles like that? I've never seen one that far outside before...
I move around on every play to make sure the offense can't plan a play to run a receiver off me. Sometimes I get wider than the tackle to get a good view of the snap and G-C-G. I usually line up in the middle or on the tackle opposite a TE. This was a technique taught to me by a couple Big 10 officials at a clinic this summer.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
He started on the left hash. The surge was up the middle, to his left. His natural reaction would be to his left and away from the pressure up the middle. The QB bounced the run outside where the U was standing. The U's position at the time of his tackle was only 2 or 3 steps from his starting position.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 11:31pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
As I was told, if a running back is coming at you - stand still. The back will make a move and go around you.

If a QB is coming at you - get ready. He's going to hit you.
Boy isn't that the truth! Full backs running middle screens don't move too well either...or so I've heard.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

I occationally start outside the O-tackles. I find I need to sometimes when the D is playing tight on the center (noseguard) and I can't see the ball very well.
One of the good angles to see the snap is a very flat angle from the weak side about the normal position of the TE.

The only comment I have to make about the videos is that I OFTEN have to tell myself I am an offical and repeat in my head "not allowed to tackle, not allowed to tackle" when things are comming at me!
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
What is your point? Is delivering a blow not the correct thing to do?
Yes, that is my point. Absorb a blow, fine. That's one of the hazards of the gig. And if he was a player, he's not going to get killed by shoring himself up and taking the hit rather than delivering it.

Quote:
Well the official doesn't know where the way will be ahead of time.
He sure showed good instincts, though, didn't it? Stepped forward and nailed him.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrye22 View Post
I occationally start outside the O-tackles. I find I need to sometimes when the D is playing tight on the center (noseguard) and I can't see the ball very well.
Exactly. With more teams running a 3-4-4 or a 3-3-5 with a nickel back, the noseguard is so close to the ball, you can't possibly see it from the middle of the field.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 09:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack View Post
Yes, that is my point. Absorb a blow, fine. That's one of the hazards of the gig.
I work umpire once in a while. Let's just say that the player would go down before I would if I see it coming.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I work umpire once in a while. Let's just say that the player would go down before I would if I see it coming.
Exactly. It's about self preservation in this situation. I gotta go to work tomorrow.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Well, we have long known that you're Superman, anyway.

I'm not saying you can't protect yourself. I'm sure you know after years of doing this that contact is an occupational hazard. But you can steel yourself against a blow or get out of the way before you have to resort to going forward and into an onrushing player.

I didn't know it was a player's responsibility to avoid us.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Well my theory is "If someone is going down it isn't me"
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It's not, you're forcing them to react to you as they would to a defender. Some runners are just better at reacting than others. And if we do collide, its on my terms not his.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 03:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by refbuz View Post
It's not, you're forcing them to react to you as they would to a defender. Some runners are just better at reacting than others. And if we do collide, its on my terms not his.
I do not think most players would have fallen down. The problem the player did, so all this hullabaloo about nothing if you ask me.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

39 seasons---most games at U--- when a runner explodes like that in front of me I stand still and put out my hands as in an open hand blocking technique--at 6'3" 285 the players usually just bounce off me if they don't make a cut move. The camera sure makes it look like he did more than just protect himself. But--as Spurrier said---things happen !
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 08:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Well, we have long known that you're Superman, anyway.

I'm not saying you can't protect yourself. I'm sure you know after years of doing this that contact is an occupational hazard. But you can steel yourself against a blow or get out of the way before you have to resort to going forward and into an onrushing player.

No, you do NOT get out of the way as an umpire. You hold your ground and give the player the opportunity to move around you. If you move left, he moves right you go down. If you move right and he moves left you go down. If you pivot or stand your ground, he can go EITHER direction.

And the guys who mention going to work are right. I am not wearing pads and gear, the player is. I'd never hurt a player, but I'm OK if the player goes down.