The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 08, 2009, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Does anyone have a Fed citation for the "wrong ball" play being illegal?
*9.9.1 SITUATION B: From a field goal formation, potential kicker A1 yells, “Where’s the tee?” A2 replies, “I’ll go get it” and goes legally in motion toward his team’s sideline. Ball is snapped to A1 who throws a touchdown pass to A2. RULING: Unsportsmanlike conduct prior to snap. The ball should be declared dead and the foul enforced as a dead-ball foul.

COMMENT: Football has been and always will be a game of deception and trickery involving multiple shifts, unusual formations and creative plays. However, actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is problem and a snap isn’t imminent is beyond the scope of sportsmanship and is illegal.

Last edited by InsideTheStripe; Sat Aug 08, 2009 at 04:27pm. Reason: Formatting
Old Sun Aug 09, 2009, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

I've heard so many white hats ask the coach in pre-game meeting"

".......players properly equiped? Do you have any special or unusual plays that we should know about?"

Last edited by Time2Ref; Sun Aug 09, 2009 at 07:59am.
Old Sun Aug 09, 2009, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

When I was a young official, this play was rampant in Louisiana (before K State did it). It was deemed legal back then (1996 I think). Fortunately everyone has decided this is illegal.

They key is you cannot use a nonplayer (be it a coach, substitute or replaced player) to deceive the opponent.
Old Sun Aug 09, 2009, 03:31pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Ref View Post
I've heard so many white hats ask the coach in pre-game meeting"

".......players properly equiped? Do you have any special or unusual plays that we should know about?"
That's a good question to ask for a couple of reasons. The first is if the coach informs you that they want to run an illegal play (ie wrong ball play). In that case, you can be pro-active and notify the coach that type of play is not legal.

The second is if the coach has any legal plays that are unusual such as the swinging gate formation (is that still legal this year?) or plays such as double reverses, etc. While we should always be on our toes for such things, it is good to have a pregame reminder that something like that might be coming.
Old Sun Aug 09, 2009, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppaltice View Post
They key is you cannot use a nonplayer (be it a coach, substitute or replaced player) to deceive the opponent.
No, I don't think that's an equivalent statement of the rule.

For one thing, a player of A could indicate a "problem" and that the snap was not imminent without involving a non-player, and it would be just as illegal. It could be "Is this the ball we use?" or "Is my chin strap on right?" and involve no more than a huddle between 2 players.

For another, a non-player on the sideline could falsely shout something like, "Throw it to Zev.", and it would be legal. Maybe even shout a false count of the play or game clock, but I'm less sure about that.

The rule in question addresses a specific sort of deception that has been ruled unfair, and should not be extended by interpret'n to cover other forms of deception, nor narrowed to cover only those involving ostensible communication with non-players.

Robert
Old Sun Aug 09, 2009, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

no one has to say anything. ACTIONS or VERBIAGE

actions or verbiage designed to confuse

A22 acts as if he has injured a ankle but refuses assistance when asked by the referee if he is ok. during the next play he limps but doesn't participate directly in the play. On the next play, A22 goes in motion with a very severe limp, but at the snap he tears down the field, with a miracle cure and catches a long pass? Any problems? Any foul?

Last edited by bigjohn; Sun Aug 09, 2009 at 08:32pm.
Old Sun Aug 09, 2009, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA: 2 choices -- no equipment may be used to confuse the opponent, and no obviously unfair act not specifically covered may be used. We're shutting down the play. Hopefully the coach asks the question pregame and we can stop it, but if it happens and we can go with an illegal snap, we'll do that. Otherwise, 15 yards.

I'll take my chances in allowing the coach to defend his play if he complains to the UIL. This isn't a difficult one. The intent of the rules is that this play is illegal.
Old Sun Aug 09, 2009, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
A22 acts as if he has injured a ankle but refuses assistance when asked by the referee if he is ok. during the next play he limps but doesn't participate directly in the play. On the next play, A22 goes in motion with a very severe limp, but at the snap he tears down the field, with a miracle cure and catches a long pass? Any problems? Any foul?
Assuming he's in motion as a receiver normally would go in motion and not limping towards his bench like he's trying to get off the field and motioning for a substitute...

Play on. No problem. No foul.

What about a limping receiver simply going in motion confuses the defense into believing there is problem and a snap isn’t imminent?

Last edited by InsideTheStripe; Sun Aug 09, 2009 at 09:39pm. Reason: Adding qualifying statement at the beginning.
Old Sun Aug 09, 2009, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Forum: What is the rule coverage for fake injury?
Old Sun Aug 09, 2009, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
I read that thread two years ago. I thought you might have some additional thoughts.
Old Sun Aug 09, 2009, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

It is from the Redding guide. That means nothing, right?
Old Sun Aug 09, 2009, 11:26pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post

What about a limping receiver simply going in motion confuses the defense into believing there is problem and a snap isn’t imminent?
As long as the offense isn't using the player in a pretend substitution, then I'm going with "that's nothing".
Old Sun Aug 09, 2009, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
For another, a non-player on the sideline could falsely shout something like, "Throw it to Zev.", and it would be legal. Maybe even shout a false count of the play or game clock, but I'm less sure about that.

Robert
Year before last working a game in nw MO all of the first half whenever BJ started his count A's entire sideline would start counting down from 5, I guess so that A would snap the ball and not get the DOG. 4th quarter the opponents break the huddle after what seems like an eternity, and as they come to the line they start counting (BJ has not counted yet), the offense rushes the snap before they are all set. I killed it with a USC on the defense for "false counting" Right or wrong, I stick with that call, clearly the defense was trying to confuse their opponent in a way not allowed by rules.

Some might say that the offense has the responsibility to know the play clock and watch the BJ rather than listen to the defense, but I could say they defense should watch the snap and not listen to the "where's the tee play" too, but i digress.
Old Mon Aug 10, 2009, 06:44am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
Year before last working a game in nw MO all of the first half whenever BJ started his count A's entire sideline would start counting down from 5, I guess so that A would snap the ball and not get the DOG. 4th quarter the opponents break the huddle after what seems like an eternity, and as they come to the line they start counting (BJ has not counted yet), the offense rushes the snap before they are all set. I killed it with a USC on the defense for "false counting" Right or wrong, I stick with that call, clearly the defense was trying to confuse their opponent in a way not allowed by rules.

Some might say that the offense has the responsibility to know the play clock and watch the BJ rather than listen to the defense, but I could say they defense should watch the snap and not listen to the "where's the tee play" too, but i digress.
Same thing, different park:

Blue picks White's pocket at the defensive 3-point line. White bench starts to go "5.... 4.... 3.... 2...." and Blue shots just across half and on a breakaway. I waited until the shot was released, and then: "Whack!"

At my whistle, the clock read 0:05. The Blue player totally had time to take it in for an uncontested layup.
Old Mon Aug 10, 2009, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post

Rule 9-5-1d covers this situation. This is the rule for USC and the example is "using disconcerting acts or words prior to the snap in an attempt to interfere with A's signals or movements".