The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

wrong ball

This happened last night at Varsity G game- I check the game ball and give okay - same ball used by jv crew, partner checks ball. We start the game, a couple of air balls by visiting team, home team scores a couple of threes and then have a t against visiting team coach, during 2 quarter a visiting team player tells me at free throw line that it is a mens ball.... hmmmm.... I say no, that I checked it and move on.... well we have a intentional foul against home and while we are shooting, visiting coach calls me over to tell me that we are using mens ball... I double check and she is correct. I switch out ball at that point... the first half couldn't have gotten much worse.... In 13 years this is the first time that we used the wrong ball....btw- this was the game of week on the girls side and tensions were high. I think we did a fantastic job as a crew and called a great game. But, I left with a sinking feeling....
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

State Finals

I know a guy who was R at a state final 3 years ago. Boys game and they used a 28.5 for the first quarter. They never switched the ball from the previous girls game......so it apparently it happens even to the big dogs...
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
I know a guy who was R at a state final 3 years ago. Boys game and they used a 28.5 for the first quarter. They never switched the ball from the previous girls game......so it apparently it happens even to the big dogs...
Happened to me once, a solid outside shooting girls' team was losing at halftime. Coach comes charging out at halftime and rants that his girls say it's a men's ball. They were right, but why did it take until halftime if they knew so much? Second half, with the right ball, they dominated.
Old Sat Jan 13, 2007, 01:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

My old assigner did this once in a college women's game. I heard about it when I was reffing a small christian school tourney at the college in question. The women caught it early in the game, though.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 03:50am
Official Forum Member

I have had it happen TWICE. Once on me (I was the R), once on my partner (I was the Umpire). Both times it was corrected. In the situation where I was the R, I checked the ball and said, "it looks to big. Coach, are you sure this is the right ball." Coach looks at the ball and says yes. About 3-4 minutes into the game, girl says, "this is a men's ball." Look at it again, get out another ball, and sure enough . . . men's ball. Changed it out, and continued on. It happens . . .
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
I checked the ball and said, "it looks to big. Coach, are you sure this is the right ball."
The smaller ball will have "285" or "28.5" stamped on it.
Old Sun Jan 14, 2007, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

I know . . . brain cramp on my part.