Thread: Wrong Ball Play
View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 10, 2009, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
Year before last working a game in nw MO all of the first half whenever BJ started his count A's entire sideline would start counting down from 5, I guess so that A would snap the ball and not get the DOG. 4th quarter the opponents break the huddle after what seems like an eternity, and as they come to the line they start counting (BJ has not counted yet), the offense rushes the snap before they are all set. I killed it with a USC on the defense for "false counting" Right or wrong, I stick with that call, clearly the defense was trying to confuse their opponent in a way not allowed by rules.

Some might say that the offense has the responsibility to know the play clock and watch the BJ rather than listen to the defense, but I could say they defense should watch the snap and not listen to the "where's the tee play" too, but i digress.
Rule 9-5-1d covers this situation. This is the rule for USC and the example is "using disconcerting acts or words prior to the snap in an attempt to interfere with A's signals or movements".