The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 13, 2008, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

In uniform, R and U. No exceptions. I'd like to meet them in the locker room with the wing on their side (only for a quick intro and sideline control instructions, then the wing leaves), but we do it on the field a lot.
Old Sat Sep 13, 2008, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

In uniform on the field with the R and U. We used to do all 5, but thought that was too much.
Old Sat Sep 13, 2008, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
In uniform on the field with the R and U. We used to do all 5, but thought that was too much.
Ditto
Old Sun Sep 14, 2008, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

B the whole crew. As the referee I have the wing that is on that coaches sideline go over certain aspects with the coach, such as sideline communication and communication with the wideouts.

As for wasting time, there is a lot of time to waste prior to the kickoff.
Old Sun Sep 14, 2008, 09:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby
B the whole crew. As the referee I have the wing that is on that coaches sideline go over certain aspects with the coach, such as sideline communication and communication with the wideouts.

As for wasting time, there is a lot of time to waste prior to the kickoff.
We get on the field 30 minutes prior to kickoff. The U and I (the R) go to the teams (and after check in the footballs) while the LJ and L walk the field, moving pylons, checking goalpost pads, measuring the chains, etc. BJ goes to the booth to talk to the timer.

10 minutes later (6:40PM), we have the coin toss.

After the toss, we meet and we (the U and myself) give everyone else the captains numbers, etc., and then we split up -- 2 of us on each end watch the teams run their sets to see if we can get any insight. The L talks to the chain crew and both wings talk to the ball boys (or girls). With about 2 minutes on the clock before the introductions / anthems, we meet at the 20 at the side we will have the receivers, opposite the pressbox for the anthem. We line from the 25 to the 20 on the sideline for the anthem, R in the middle.

There's plenty of time, but we manage to use it all up without being bored.
Old Sun Sep 14, 2008, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Re: pregame surveys

We as an entire crew meet the coaches in uniform on the field, I agree very awkward. Another thing we do that I do not like is that the wing officials do the talking to their respective coach ("legally equipped, captains etc).
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZump
Another thing we do that I do not like is that the wing officials do the talking to their respective coach ("legally equipped, captains etc).
I can see why you don't like that: you've got a serious liability issue later if a kid gets hurt and the coach denies that he answered the "legally equipped" question.

Sorry to think like a lawyer. You've heard of people who were raised by a pack of wolves? I was raised by a pack of lawyers. Roughly comparable in some ways...
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Another Question

How long before the kickoff are you meeting with the coaches?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

We meet on the field with all five of us approximately 30 minutes prior to the game. After meeting with both coaches we conduct the toss. More and more in our are are moving to the R and U only meeting. MY thoughts:

1. The coaches hate one meeting let alone 2. Get it all in at one time.

2. Occasionally a coach will have a question that involves specific duties of one official or rule application. I find it better to have everyone available.

3. It's easier for the wing to meet the coach in a more relaxed atmosphere than the chaos of the last minute or two prior to the kickoff.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

We get on the field 30-40 minutes before the game. We walk the field then all five of us meet with each coach. After that we get captains and flip. Then 3 of us on the home side and the other two on the other side. I've never thought it awkward. The coach gets to meet all of us that way.