The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Philosophy

What's your opinion?

Do you call illegal block in the back and/or clipping away from the play? Or say if on punt coverage, the punt goes out of the end zone and R still blasts a K player in the back who's covering the kick.

Would you call it because of safety or would you not call it because it had no bearing on the play?
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
What's your opinion?

Do you call illegal block in the back and/or clipping away from the play? Or say if on punt coverage, the punt goes out of the end zone and R still blasts a K player in the back who's covering the kick.

Would you call it because of safety or would you not call it because it had no bearing on the play?
Fouls which involve a safety issue should always be called regardless of where or when they happen.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66
Fouls which involve a safety issue should always be called regardless of where or when they happen.
Ditto, especially any time you would use 'blast' to descibe the block in back.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66
I definitely agree but the severity of the hit does play a factor. A slight push in the back at the point of attack would be flagged every time while a similar block as the ball sails into the end zone or away from where the runner is getting tackled will probably be a "talk to". They have no impact on the play and weren't safety issues. Anything more than that would probably get flagged for IBB or personal foul depending on the severity of the block.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj
I definitely agree but the severity of the hit does play a factor. A slight push in the back at the point of attack would be flagged every time while a similar block as the ball sails into the end zone or away from where the runner is getting tackled will probably be a "talk to". They have no impact on the play and weren't safety issues. Anything more than that would probably get flagged for IBB or personal foul depending on the severity of the block.
This is what I have heard also at clinics I've attended. A slight push away from the POA should not be called, but any BIB with good contact should be called anywhere as it is a safety factor.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Something I have been working on recently. The talk to block in the back instead of flagging it. Small contacts not directly influencing the play.

What I still need to train myself to see better is leading with the helmet on tackles.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 03:25am
Do not give a damn!!

This is a safety foul and should be called almost every time. The only time I am really hesitant to call it, is when the block in the back helps the defender make the tackle (pushed into the tackle). That is probably the only time I will consider what not making this call. This is very rare and I feel I made this call incorrectly a couple of weeks ago in a game I was working.

Peace