The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Spot after missed field goal

If a field goal (NFHS) does not reach the end zone, R gets the ball at the spot where the kick comes to rest, correct?

Can you please cite a rule number as well.

Thanks!!
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 05:50pm
Archaic Power Monger

In NFHS, a field goal is a scrimmage kick just like a punt (except it has a chance at scoring). If it is short and still in the field of play, it can be recovered by R and returned, downed by K, muffed by R and recovered by K, etc. If the kick breaks the goal line plane and does not go through the uprights, it is a touchback and R would get the ball at the 20.

I don't have my book with me but check Rule 2 for the definition of a scrimmage kick (found under Kicks) and look over Rule 6 for kicking rules.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

You can look up the definition of a scrimmage kick in rule 2. Then look up what it takes to score a field goal with said kick under rule 8. And finally look up what you do with a scrimmage kick that becomes dead in the field under rule 6.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

There are only two types of kicks in the NFHS Rule Book, free and scrimmage kicks.

A field goal is a scrimmage kick. All the rules you apply to a punt minus the scoring, of course, apply. If it comes to rest in the field of play without being touched, it belongs to R. Also, rules for first touching apply.
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks fellas!
Old Wed Sep 10, 2008, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
If a field goal (NFHS) does not reach the end zone, R gets the ball at the spot where the kick comes to rest, correct?
Yes if in fact it does come to rest with no player attempting to play it, provided there's no spot of 1st touching by K beyond the ENZ to deal with.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 01:14pm
This IS My Social Life

Football Question from a Basketball Dude

I do basketball and choose to remain blissfully ignorant of football rules so as to never be able to contest any calls made by my striped friends on the field with hats on their heads. Please, however, help me understand this football situation.

There is one area coach whose team, in a punting situation, always has his center snap the ball to a holder who places the ball and the kicker kicks it just as if it were a field goal attempt. Doesn't matter if it's at midfield or deep in their own territory, they've done it the same for several years now.

Other than the possibility that this team always has a kicker but has no one who can punt, is there any rules advantage for this team's coach to do this?

Thanx in advance for your response(s).
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I do basketball and choose to remain blissfully ignorant of football rules so as to never be able to contest any calls made by my striped friends on the field with hats on their heads. Please, however, help me understand this football situation.

There is one area coach whose team, in a punting situation, always has his center snap the ball to a holder who places the ball and the kicker kicks it just as if it were a field goal attempt. Doesn't matter if it's at midfield or deep in their own territory, they've done it the same for several years now.

Other than the possibility that this team always has a kicker but has no one who can punt, is there any rules advantage for this team's coach to do this?

For NFHS, both punts and FG attempts are scrimmage kicks and governed by exactly the same rules. A missed FG functions just like a punt in every way.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The only "rules advantage" is that the other team might not know that Fed rules (unlike the NFL & NCAA rules which changed in the 1970s) still treat all kicks from scrimmage the same, and therefore might not attempt to run the ball back.

There are several tactical disadvantages to using a place kick rather than a punt for field position, the only tactical advantage being accuracy in driving the ball out of bounds. Before NFL and NCAA changed their rules, one practically never saw a place kick used from scrimmage unless it had at least some chance to score a goal, because of these disadvantages vs. punting. Therefore the recent popularity of this tactic in Fed ball can be explained only as an attempt to exploit ignorance of the rules against those who are too young to realize otherwise.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I see more and more teams doing it. But it would seem to me that place kicks are easier to block. However, there maybe less chance of a bad snap.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 08:58pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
If a field goal does not reach the end zone, R gets the ball at the spot where the kick comes to rest, correct?

Can you please cite a rule number as well.

Thanks!!
CANADIAN RULING:

Live ball. Onside K players can recover without penalty. Offside K players must maintain a 5-yard halo around the ball only if R touches it first.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I see more and more teams doing it. But it would seem to me that place kicks are easier to block. However, there maybe less chance of a bad snap.
There's a greater chance of the snap's being muffed because you're snapping to someone kneeling. A standing player can adjust easier to an errant snap.
Old Mon Sep 05, 2011, 08:27am
Chain of Fools

One of our schools set up for a FG on 4th down every time about 7-8 years ago. Coach confessed that he didn't have a punter and felt this was the safer option for his team.