The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to floray
In high school, if a missed field goal is short and lands in the end zone, it gets spotted at the 20 yard line.

But where does the ball get spotted if the missed field goal falls short of the end zone? For instance, if it rolls dead at the 5 yard line or rolls out of bounds at the 2 or something odd like that.

Thanks!

Matt
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

As long as defense does not pull a Leon Lett and try to play it, ball will be spotted at the 20 or previous spot, depending on where it was snapped from.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Based on TXMike's response either he or I am missing the question. You put it in play on the yard line where it becomes dead. If the ball is short of the goal line on a field goal attempt I specifically communicate to my fellow officials by wrapping my hand around my finger whistle showing them to "hold the whistle." Basically, this is nothing different than a punt. While the ball is still loose it's still the kick. It could be made dead by K picking it up or R could pick the ball and advance. R will put the ball in play 1st and 10 where the ball becomes dead. If it happens to go in the end zone it goes to the 20, if it stops at the 5 and no one picks it up it becomes dead there, and same for an out of bounds spot.

Am I missing your question?
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 08:42pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by floray
In high school, if a missed field goal is short and lands in the end zone, it gets spotted at the 20 yard line.

But where does the ball get spotted if the missed field goal falls short of the end zone? For instance, if it rolls dead at the 5 yard line or rolls out of bounds at the 2 or something odd like that.
A missed field goal is a live ball. If it goes OB, it is dead at that spot. If it goes OB in the EZ, score a rouge. K 1 point, R 1D/10 @ R-35 (between the hash marks) or PLS if PLS > 35 (at PLS).
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Missed High School Field Goal

Thanks! But assuming no Leon Lett, what is the cutoff line between a spot at the 20 and the former spot?

For example, if a team tried a field goal from their own 5, the ball would not be moved 75 yards downfield to the 20. So I assume it would be spotted at the 5.

Yet, if the same team tried a field goal from the opponents 40 and it fell short of the end zone, would it be moved 20 yards to the 20 or spotted at the 40?

Thanks again!

Matt
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Missed High School Field Goal

ljudge hit the nail on the head! thank you. That was exactly the question.

Matt
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
Based on TXMike's response either he or I am missing the question.
No, TXMike's just from (surprise!) Texas, and thus gave the NCAA ruling.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Federation code. A missed field goal is a scrimmage kick. As with any scrimmage kick, the ball will be placed at the inbounds mark on any kick that does not enter R's end zone and is declared dead in the field of play or goes out of bounds before entering R's end zone. So in your original question if the kick is short and grounds in the end zone or is an unsuccessful field goal that is kicked through the end zone it is a touchback. 1st and 10 on the 20 yard line. However if the kick goes out of bounds on the 2 yard line it will be R's ball 1st and 10 at the 2.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by floray

Thanks!

Matt
Punt and a field goal are the same thing except how its kicked and the fact that a field goal can score.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 04:53am
Official Forum Member

You are kidding me?!?!?!!?!?! In Fed ball a failed FG attempt that rolls dead short of the goal line is spotted at the dead ball spot??? That is ridiculous. If Team A wants that kind of result they should be forced to punt, not attempt a scoring kick. As pointed out, my ruling is for NCAA (which is also HS in Tex and Mass.).

Guess this explains why Leon tried to play the ball. He thought he was back at Hairhope High in Alabama.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMike
You are kidding me?!?!?!!?!?! In Fed ball a failed FG attempt that rolls dead short of the goal line is spotted at the dead ball spot??? That is ridiculous. If Team A wants that kind of result they should be forced to punt, not attempt a scoring kick. As pointed out, my ruling is for NCAA (which is also HS in Tex and Mass.).

Guess this explains why Leon tried to play the ball. He thought he was back at Hairhope High in Alabama.
No kidding at all, TXMike. All scrimmage kicks (punts and field goals) are treated the same except that a drop kick or place kick put through the uprights will score 3 points.

Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

hehe, just one of those many NCAA/NF differences TXMike or is that really VAMike.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

The ball is place at the spot of where the ball becomes dead in NFHS. In College, it will get placed at the 20.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

As Snake Eyes said, it's just another scrimmage kick. If it is short it can be fielded by R and returned just like a punt. R could conceiveably score a touchdown. If it makes the endzone - touchback, if kicked out of bounds - R's ball at the in bounds spot. If kicked on 3rd down and blocked, K keeps the ball if it is recovered behind the line of scrimmage-4th down, if advanced by K beyond the line to gain - 1st down for K.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2005, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Quote:
Originally posted by TXMike

No kidding at all, TXMike. All scrimmage kicks (punts and field goals) are treated the same except that a drop kick or place kick put through the uprights will score 3 points.

Back in the dark ages, playing NAIA rules that were very
similar to today's NFHS rules, we even practiced having our
FG kicker putting it out of bounds inside of the 10. He was more accurate than our punter! Even used it a couple of times in actual games.... strange but true.