Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Your ruling?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAHL8rCd1RU&NR=1
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 10:24pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner
The video loads choppy on my computer using both IE and FF, so I cannot comment based on the video. I've always thought in high regard of SI's photos, and looking at the still at the end of the clip, it looks like PI should have been applied.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

No DPI. Ball is uncatchable. Commentary on the video is by a fan who doesn't understand the rules. The wave off was not due to a touch, but due to the ball would not have been caught by the receiver even without illegal contact. I don't blame the BJ at all; I probably would have flagged this as from where he was, it was difficult to see the whole series of events. In a 5 man system, they likely would have missed this.

Bad mechanics by the R, however. Should have, at worst, given a preliminary signal off mic for DPI, then waved the flag off before announcing it. Would have also given him time to get away from the players.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 05:36am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
The video loads choppy on my computer using both IE and FF, so I cannot comment based on the video. I've always thought in high regard of SI's photos, and looking at the still at the end of the clip, it looks like PI should have been applied.
So I went back to watch the video again. This time it did "chop" a bit, but way way less than last time. I think it's because I rebooted my computer. I must have improved the performance of my PC and eliminated the effects of some memory leaks, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
No DPI. Ball is uncatchable. Commentary on the video is by a fan who doesn't understand the rules. The wave off was not due to a touch, but due to the ball would not have been caught by the receiver even without illegal contact. I don't blame the BJ at all; I probably would have flagged this as from where he was, it was difficult to see the whole series of events. In a 5 man system, they likely would have missed this.
I agree, sort of, with TX Aggie - no DPI.

I agree that there should be no DPI, but I do believe that the play is too close to call uncatchable anyways. A-9 certainly would have a chance for his left hand on the ball. I also don't place any blame with the BJ.

Although there was this (otherwise illegal) contact by B-38 on A-9 before the ball was tipped by B-33, the tipped ball laterally went in the opposite direction as A-9, and was therefore uncatchable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Bad mechanics by the R, however. Should have, at worst, given a preliminary signal off mic for DPI, then waved the flag off before announcing it. Would have also given him time to get away from the players.
CANADIAN MECHANIC:

I agree that it looks bad to have the R come back on the mic, but in Canada's game, it is not his fault.

Not sure how the NFHS or NCAA mechanic works, but in Canada, the proper PI procedure would never have even allowed the R to announce a flag that would have been later picked up. Another covering official would have come in to the BJ (FJ in our game), whistling if need be, to the BJ (FJ) that the pass was uncatchable - and why. The BJ (FJ) would then decide if the DPI should or should not stand, then take this info to the R and the R would then report the ruling on the field.

I'm sure that the US has a procedure to use as well.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Not an easy call especially for the BJ. When did the tip occur?

The tip removes PI but from everything I saw the defender contacted the receiver before the tip, pass interference. Obviously, the BJ was overruled by another official with a different angle.

Why, was it ruled uncatchable after the tip or was that an LSU fan lacking a knowledge of the rules?

The most likely explanation other than pass interference was the ball was tipped allowing contact to occur. To be uncatchable the receiver must not have a reasonable opportunity to catch the ball which does not appear from the video and certainly not the stull picture.

Someone mentioned defensive holding. Impossible, as the ball is in the air when contact is initiated.

My mechanic which I learned from softball, when action is imminent, stop and concentrate on the action. Nothing is worst than having your eyes moving. Open yourself to the play, in other words don't get too close, allow yourself to see all the action around the play.

In this play if you watch the flight of the ball and let it lead you to the action or you focus on a catch, you can easily miss the defender's contact.

I say the crew blew this one, pass interference.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 11:05am
Broadcaster

Goodness. Bringing up an old topic.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

I agree it is not DPI but can we make the case for defensive holding instead?
Also the problem with the college ranks is that in most cases explanations are few and far between. "Disregard the flag -- there is no foul for Pass Interference....the ball was not catchable....or since the ball was tipped....blah blah." That would take the announcer out of it and keep everyones blood pressure low.