Thread: Your ruling?
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Not an easy call especially for the BJ. When did the tip occur?

The tip removes PI but from everything I saw the defender contacted the receiver before the tip, pass interference. Obviously, the BJ was overruled by another official with a different angle.

Why, was it ruled uncatchable after the tip or was that an LSU fan lacking a knowledge of the rules?

The most likely explanation other than pass interference was the ball was tipped allowing contact to occur. To be uncatchable the receiver must not have a reasonable opportunity to catch the ball which does not appear from the video and certainly not the stull picture.

Someone mentioned defensive holding. Impossible, as the ball is in the air when contact is initiated.

My mechanic which I learned from softball, when action is imminent, stop and concentrate on the action. Nothing is worst than having your eyes moving. Open yourself to the play, in other words don't get too close, allow yourself to see all the action around the play.

In this play if you watch the flight of the ball and let it lead you to the action or you focus on a catch, you can easily miss the defender's contact.

I say the crew blew this one, pass interference.