The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Advice for Cold Weather??

Gentlemen,

This weekend I will be lucky enough to attend Dick Honig's camp up in Michigan. I checked the forecast for Saturday (when we will have scrimmages) and the temps are supposed to be in the 30's with rain/snow showers. I am from New Orleans and will be TOTALLY out of my element. I have Under Armour cold gear tops and bottoms, but that's it - I'm sure that won't be enough, so I am looking for advice. I know you northerners are probably laughing at me freaking out about that weather, but 30 degrees is freezing (no pun intended) to me.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC2
Gentlemen,

I know you northerners are probably laughing at me freaking out about that weather, but 30 degrees is freezing (no pun intended) to me.
Good, because no pun is present.

Aside from that, man-up for God's sake. If you have cold gear tops and bottoms you have more than what many northern officials wear in temperatures as balmy as 30 degrees.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Uhhhmmmm, isn't 32 degrees Fahrenheit commonly referred to as freezing?
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

GPC
Here in MI if you don't like the weather wait a minute and it'll probably change. It is 72 right now and forecast to be mid forties this weekend with a chance of rain on Sunday(at least the last time I checked).
Have fun at the clinic .
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

If it is really cold, if you have some nonlined sweatpants, where those over your Under Armour. That will keep you really warm. Do the same on the top with another long sleeve shirt and you will be plenty toasty.

Dick was at the clinic this past weekend I attended in MN. He is a great guy!
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

If you dress too warm, you'll work up a sweat when you run and then you'll really get a chill when it's your turn you stand and watch. You'd do better to bring a jacket that you can put on when you're just standing around observing/listening and take off when you're working.

I'm sure the folks up there will cut you some slack.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2008, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Trust me: you'll be fine with the UA gear for a base layer. Go to a running store and find some good cold weather gloves that have the tacky material on the palm. If you can keep your hands and feet warm, you'll be more than comfortable. You might also get one of those ski headbands that cover your ears.

I had a game in the mid-30s with some wind and intermittent rain (heavy drizzle) last November. It was mildly uncomfortable the first 5 minutes and after that, I really didn't notice it. When the rain stopped for about a quarter or so, it was borderline pleasant. Honestly, the mud bothered me more because I HATE mud (slippage, pant stains, etc.). I wore a Nike Pro shirt (similar to UA cold gear) and my striped shirt, and that was all up top. I wore my normal UA tights and regular socks (with my base layer socks I always wear) with knickers, like usual. The biggest problem I had was with the gloves and my down indicator. I've gone on feel for so long, it took some getting used to.

IF you think that the UA and a long sleeve shirt won't be enough, at the running store, find a real thin base layer long sleeve shirt and wear under your UA cold gear shirt. Brooks makes a very comfortable shirt, and in NO, they should be on sale. I promise you will be fine. Your striped shirt should keep the wind off adequately.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2008, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

This brought back memories of some games I did outside late fall in CNY. I have long since retired my winter (ear flap) hat, thermal underwear, nylon windbreaker to wear under my long sleeved shirt and gloves. Nothing like working games in snowstorms and sub zero temperatures.
I have yet to even need a long sleeve shirt down here. Have fun !
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

I wore my under armour warm gear long sleeve top, and long pants bottom. I also wore two pairs of socks with foot warmers in my shoes. I kept hand warmers in my pockets and used them when I wasn't on the field. I think I did OK with the weather - but it obviously could have been a lot worse. It was very cold and there was a light rain falling for the entire game, but I was fine, other than the fact that my hands were pretty well frozen by the end of the game. The next morning it snowed!! I know it's not impressive to my northern bretheren, but it was crazy seeing snow for me - only the fifth time in my 33 years that I've seen snow (in person).

I would highly recommend Dick Honig's camp for anyone that has an opportunity to attend. We got a lot of film work and a helluva lot of field work. It was a great camp IMO.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Here in ND, when it gets over 30, we break out the striped thongs and cleated sandals. Not pretty, but verrry comfortable.
Old Tue Apr 15, 2008, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
Here in ND, when it gets over 30, we break out the striped thongs and cleated sandals. Not pretty, but verrry comfortable.
Now that is the reason that I never wanted to see a game in ND!
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Worst I ever had here in NJ was 8 degrees, very light breeze. This past season's state championship was played at Rutgers in the mid-twenties, fairly brisk breeze. I wore about six light layers of shirt. I was warm, but I looked like the Michelin Man.
Old Wed Apr 16, 2008, 01:38pm
M.A.S.H.

I wear the cold gear and the McDavid hood. Keeps me warm.

Good luck at camp!
Old Fri Apr 18, 2008, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

For cold and/or wet games I have the following items to wear:

Columbia brand fleece pullover designed for skiing
Nike brand cold gear similar to UA
Wind Stopper short sleeve undershirt form Honig's

I also use Coleman brand water repellent spray for shoes and hat.
Old Sat Apr 19, 2008, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D
If you dress too warm, you'll work up a sweat when you run and then you'll really get a chill when it's your turn you stand and watch. You'd do better to bring a jacket that you can put on when you're just standing around observing/listening and take off when you're working.

I'm sure the folks up there will cut you some slack.
Dick sent out a memo: No high school patches on the shirts. Guess next year he'll add, no jackets either.