Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Mike Carey

Great job!
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

But leaving that one second on the clock was silly. A slow finger on the stopwatch would have been much better than requiring the final knee.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

In reviewing game video there appeared to be two seconds on the clock at the end of the fourth down play.

To have ended the game with time remaining would not have fit the character of Mike Carey. Take a look at this http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80678c74 then think about it.

I have to say Mike Carey embodies the character and precision that each of us should carry every time we step on the field.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

No reason to make them take a knee!
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 12:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn
You cannot just arbitrarily end the game on a second on the clock. People would have complained there was a conspiracy if they did not play that last second.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Can you say, "Joe Pisarcik"?

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Does the NFL have an equivalent to the NFHS rule?

Rule 3 Periods, Time Factors and Substitutions
SECTION 1 LENGTH OF PERIODS
ART. 3 A period or periods may be shortened in any emergency by agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee. By mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee, any remaining period may be shortened at any time or the game terminated.

In a Fed game, if I see the coaches heading for mid-field to shake hands, I accept that as their agreement to terminate the game. My agreement is demonstrated by leaving the field.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn
ok at what point do we go ahead and quit letting the game end with time on the clock...2, 4 8 25 seconds?? I somewhat agree that if the pats just wanted to go in that it could be over, however why deprive the Giants of the feeling of getting to take a knee, with the knowledge that they have just won the super bowl...
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

This is the Super Bowl, not the intramural semi-finals. Do it RIGHT!

And, since I didn't hardly notice the crew, they must have done a good job.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, I think the crew did a real nice job as I barely noticed them as well. For once, I thought the Super Bowl was actually, well, a super (entertaining) game!

Once question for my 'murrican brothers about the "Too Many Men" (Illegal Sub.) though.

In Canadian Amateur in a similar situation where the player is high tailing it to his bench and he gets off close to (before) the snap, as long as he did not participate in the play, there's no call. At CFL I believe the situation gets covered by the penalty for having 13 guys (1 too many) in the huddle. Do you guys really nail teams if they're within a half second of a guy touching his sidelines? Is it the same with US Amateur as it is with the NFL? How on earth do you make that call if so?

Thx
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossHumard
...Once question for my 'murrican brothers about the "Too Many Men" (Illegal Sub.) though.

In Canadian Amateur in a similar situation where the player is high tailing it to his bench and he gets off close to (before) the snap, as long as he did not participate in the play, there's no call. At CFL I believe the situation gets covered by the penalty for having 13 guys (1 too many) in the huddle. Do you guys really nail teams if they're within a half second of a guy touching his sidelines? Is it the same with US Amateur as it is with the NFL? How on earth do you make that call if so?

Thx
REPLY: In Federation and NCAA ball the rules are just as strict as they are in the NFL--if the player running to the sideline doesn't get off before the snap, technically it's a foul for illegal substitution. However, in practical application, most officials handle it the same way you suggest: If the guy is close enough to the sideline to not make a difference, most officials will let it go ("no harm, no foul"). But in the NFL, since the number of players on the field at the snap is a reviewable situation, they have to call it strictly, the same way they would for a runner being inbounds or out-of-bounds on a tightrope down the sideline. They really have no choice in the NFL. It's got to be called by the book.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37

ART. 3 A period or periods may be shortened in any emergency by agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee. By mutual agreement of the opposing coaches and the referee, any remaining period may be shortened at any time or the game terminated.

In a Fed game, if I see the coaches heading for mid-field to shake hands, I accept that as their agreement to terminate the game. My agreement is demonstrated by leaving the field.
I heard the the FOX announcers say the NFL wanted the last second played. Therefore, it was not Mike Carey's choice.

Remember, the Cleveland beer tossing incident and the disputed field goal this season again with Cleveland. Both those incidents even though the outcome was not in doubt, the league made them play it out. I know for a fact in the beer tossing incident it was NFL control in New York that dictated the game be completed.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37

Note the portion in the rule that says "...in an emergency...". In the Super Bowl (if this rule even applied) or in most all NFHS games there is not an emergency. The game may be a blow out or a team has conceded but the game clock should expire before it is considered completed. We do not start a HS game with 11:59 on the clock, so let's play the entire prescribed time unless it truly is an emergency or a state has a game ending procedure.
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Way to go, Mike & Crew

I was proud that the crew "finished" the game.

The clock went from :02 to :00, and then up to :01 left. What was up with the timer?

For a viewer, there was enough confusion of time remaining. For the Patriots, if you don't play the final second, you deprive them of the last snap, and a potential scoring play (although not very likely).

Officials are to be the arbiter of the rules, one of which is accurately timing the game. I commend Carey for clearing the field and having NY snap the ball to end the game properly. If some want to criticize him for doing so, it's just another case of Monday morning armchair officiating. If he didn't do this, could you imagine the possible second-guessing today?
Old Mon Feb 04, 2008, 04:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMN
I was proud that the crew "finished" the game.

The clock went from :02 to :00, and then up to :01 left. What was up with the timer?
The TV clock and the actual clock are not always in sync. And if you pay really close attention, you will see time be corrected when they come back to the TV clock because it is not accurate with the stadium clock.

Peace