The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Question for the R's out there.

When the clock will start on the snap, do you give the wind signal immediately once the ball is snap.

I usually do that in sub-varsity because the clock operators aren't too good.

But should this be done in varsity games?
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Not where I work, varsity or sub varsity.

If the clock operator isn't smart enough to know that the clock runs after ALL snaps, then I get a new clock operator.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

I know mechanically i try to every time but would guess that during some instances throughout the course of a game i forget.

Other times i think i forget and my wing guys say i do.

I guess you do it out of habit.

To me if i forget it is not the end of the world as long as you have a competent clock guy and a good pregame with them.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 11:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

I hate this, I really do. I *never* do it. I am officiating at this point, not swinging my arm around.

The snap tells the timer to start the clock. If he doesn't, we get a new one.

Next someone will start signaling a "stop clock" mechanic after an incomplete pass, a TD, a safety, etc. Oh, wait, I forgot about the.....wait for it.......the SEC (Yes, I know they've stopped doing this.).
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Never do, never have, never will.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Don't do it. Think it looks silly. That said, some R's I respect who are good officials believe it should be done and do it almost every time when the clock should start with the snap.
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 08:16am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalStripes
When the clock will start on the snap, do you give the wind signal immediately once the ball is snap.

I usually do that in sub-varsity because the clock operators aren't too good.

But should this be done in varsity games?
CANADIAN MECHANIC:

Yes, we wind the clock with the appropriate signal when the ball is snapped.
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Never. How bad must one be to not start the clock when the ball is snapped?
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

I have only ever wound the clock on the snap once. Well it was about 30 seconds after the snap after the running back was downed 5 yards downfield in bounds and the clock had still not started when I checked the clock and was about to blow 2nd down ready.
Old Sun Oct 28, 2007, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

I don't do it. I have more important things to be worrying about. It is the clock operator's job to handle this. If he isn't watching the snap, he likely won't be watching me either...
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Have you had a situation where the clock operator is watching the game and not paying attention to running the clock?

We have a small town here in NW Oklahoma where we have this problem constantly. Every crew that calls out there has had problems with this clock operator, but the school will not do anything to rectify the situation.

It does look kind of funny tho when your WH is out on the middle of the field doing a windmill with both arms trying to get the clock operator to do his job. Looks bad on the officials, but it is still humorous to watch him do the double windmill trying to start the clock.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

No one on our crew winds with the snap, and I agree with others that it would look silly and, if it were necessary, a new clock operator is in order.

My question is this: does anyone mirror a wing's signal to keep the clock running on plays that end in bounds near the sideline? I must say, I never really payed attention to the other officials when the play ends to see if anyone else does...I know others signal for the clock to stop after a first down, but I don't know the situation for the reverse.
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 07:12pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

The benefit of winding the clock in when it should be wound in is that you don't need to have a timer who is versed in the timing rules.

In my neck of the woods, we get volunteer timers (old coaches, some parents, etc) and we do a 2-minnute pre-game with them. We show them the stop the clock signal and the start the clock signal. If they follow those signals, everything will be fine.

If a play should start on the snap, then without a signal, the timer must know that the clock goes with the snap, and therefore, that requires more knowledge than just following instructions. I bet there is some degree of training, availability, etc... that might not always be present.
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
The benefit of winding the clock in when it should be wound in is that you don't need to have a timer who is versed in the timing rules.

In my neck of the woods, we get volunteer timers (old coaches, some parents, etc) and we do a 2-minnute pre-game with them. We show them the stop the clock signal and the start the clock signal. If they follow those signals, everything will be fine.

If a play should start on the snap, then without a signal, the timer must know that the clock goes with the snap, and therefore, that requires more knowledge than just following instructions. I bet there is some degree of training, availability, etc... that might not always be present.
"Mr or Ms Timer, The clock stops when any striped shirt does this" (Show clock stop signal) "The clock starts when the guy with thewhite hat does this"(show clock start signal) "The clock ALSO starts when the ball is snapped, do you know what 'Snapped' means?" If I get a "yes" then I've got my training in, in less than 2 minutes. If I get a "no" then I get a new operator and start the vigorous training all over again.