The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Assignor Politics

Hey Fellas,
Don't post much,but I'm always lurking. Just curious as to how everyone is dealing with the politics within their individual organizations with respect to assignments to H.S. playoff games? Any stories? Do coaches' ratings mean anything when it comes time for the playoff assignments?

J
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimy2shooz
Hey Fellas,
Don't post much,but I'm always lurking. Just curious as to how everyone is dealing with the politics within their individual organizations with respect to assignments to H.S. playoff games? Any stories? Do coaches' ratings mean anything when it comes time for the playoff assignments?

J
In Indiana, the coach's vote is the primary factor in whether you get assigned to a particular round of the playoffs. Geography, history, and rating also plays a factor in which game you get. Higher rated officials are going to get the more competitive games.

We also have an all-in format where every team plays. Round 1 has almost as many games (some byes do exist) as a regular season game. There were 161 crews apply for the tournament and 156 first round games so almost everyone works at least 1 round.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Well, in our association the assignor made a recommendation committee. They put together the crews. To no ones surprise the head of that committee is on the numer one crew. I am not sure how other states are but we have a ranking system. A rank 3 is NOT to suppose to work playoffs, yet we have a rank 3 on the first crew. Oh, and take a guess at who is his good friend. YEP, the head of the committee. Go figure! No politics here in the sunshine state.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 10:35am
I Bleed Crimson

In our association, the other officials on the crew evaluate each other after each game. These ratings are then compiled into a database, and the top officials at the end of the season at each position are our playoff officials.

The previous association which I worked in ranked officials based upon varsity experience. After 5 years of varsity experience you went to the bottom of the playoff list for your position. Each time somebody was tapped for a playoff spot at that position, they moved to the bottom of the list. On average, it took about 3 or 4 years to work up to a playoff. And you couldn't do a 2nd round until you did a 1st round, a semi until you did a quarter, and a final until you did a semi. Thus to be eligible for a state final, it could take many years. I did my first quarter 2 years ago after 9 years.

Now, the former is susceptible to politics. But at least not from the assignor. Fellow officials can agree to rank each other highly after every game, thus securing high enough ratings to qualify for a playoff spot. However, since we rotate each week with a different crew, this is less likely. However, the assignor does pair members, and if the assignor is part of the good old boy club, it could be a problem.

The latter is less susceptible to politics. But it makes it possible for unqualified, or less qualified, officials to make it to a quarter, semi, or even final. If the goal is to provide quality officials for state assignments, this is a problem. However, it takes politics out of the equation.

Being part of two systems, I can see the flaws in both. I'd like to hear more about other systems. No system is perfect, but perhaps some are better than others.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

In Texas, most coaches get together and select specific crews or at least chapters for their games. When our chapter gets an unspecified crew assignment, the secretary along with the President and VP choose the crew that will work.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 01:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimy2shooz
Hey Fellas,

J
I worry only things that I can control. And no the coaches only can rate officials, but they do not decide who works or who does not work the playoffs. That is done by the state administrator that assigns every post season game state wide. And politics if you ask me is so over-rated in most cases that I wonder why people spend so much time talking about it. There are many factors to why people get opportunities and many of them have nothing to do with a nefarious system holding them back. Usually if you are good, someone will notice.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

In general, just about everybody on a crew will get a playoff game. The assignment sec comes up with his schedule which is approved by the committee (who I think really only consider the semi & final crews). The openers and quarters are usually done by the "season" crews. Semi's & finals are put together crews and we switch to 7 man. There are qualifiers for each level regarding experience (years on a crew), ratings (each certified official rates all officials they work with thru the season), and prior playoff experience (for example, you have to work a semi before you get a final). You cannot work a final 2 years in a row.
Our rookie assignment sec this year has done a good job all season (hat tip to Ref in SoCA) so I see no reason to expect any problems during the playoffs either. Hey Tom, don't screw it up, 'k? And if he does, well I'm sure I'll get to hear about it since I'm the Mediation Comm Chair.

Last edited by Mike L; Fri Oct 26, 2007 at 03:22pm.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 03:22pm
Ref Ump Welsch

In Nebraska, the state association assigns the officials for the playoffs, using crew applications, and feedback from the coaches. However, the Metro Officials Association (based in Omaha), also has some input, especially to some of the Class A games (Omaha-sized schools) because their "varsity" officials work alot of those regular season games.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 03:47pm
Archaic Power Monger

Mike L, are you in CIF - Southern Section?

Here in the North Coast Section, each association is to send a list of officials to the NCS. Coaches also receive this list and have some input on who gets assigned to their games. The NCS then assigns officials from the various associations.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe
Mike L, are you in CIF - Southern Section?
Smoky San Diego
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 05:44pm
I Bleed Crimson

I thought I'd add another note.

I'm in Washington state, and the state grants state playoff assignments to associations. Each association, according to their own rules, assigns officials to those assignments. Some associations may use coach input, some derive their own standards, such as I've already posted.

I personally find it interesting that coaches are given input. Certainly some coaches may be able to fairly assess officiating ability, but I think it is far better to have officials doing the evaluating. Too often coaches are ignorant of the responsibilities of officials and the rules.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Ohio Playoff Assignments are Determined as Follows

1.Each individual is rated by the coaches for each game that they work.
2.The athletic directors can vote for any official, whether or not they worked at their school.
3.The assignors get a vote.
4.The associations each nominate 3 officials at each position.
5.Oh, and the state also tells us they can still choose whoever they want.

This system is attack proof in that officials only know their coach rating and association nominees. The other 3 factors are not shared with the officials. Approximately 15-20% of the officials receive playoff assignments and 50% of those receive 1 game.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 08:10am
Ref Ump Welsch

We only have two officials association in Nebraska (that I know of) and both of them are in Eastern Nebraska: the Metro Officials Association in Omaha, and the Eastern Nebraska Officials Association in Lincoln. If the state association (NSAA) did give assignments to the local associations, especially for games in the Omaha/Lincoln areas, hell would be had in the rest of the state, especially for crews that are just outside of those metro areas.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 08:23am
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch
We only have two officials association in Nebraska (that I know of) and both of them are in Eastern Nebraska: the Metro Officials Association in Omaha, and the Eastern Nebraska Officials Association in Lincoln. If the state association (NSAA) did give assignments to the local associations, especially for games in the Omaha/Lincoln areas, hell would be had in the rest of the state, especially for crews that are just outside of those metro areas.
So in Nebraska, are the crews contracted by the schools directly? So if the state gave assignments to the associations, they would of course have no interest in sharing it with those outside of their group.

Here it is typically the case that the schools contract with the association. Usually an association covers a geographical area, such as a county, city, or even region. Also, the state gives assignments to assocations for positions, not for crews. For example, our association was given a B semi for HL and LJ, an A semi for R, a 4A semi for U, and an A final for BJ. We decided which of our officials will fill those spots.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 10:34am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy
So in Nebraska, are the crews contracted by the schools directly? So if the state gave assignments to the associations, they would of course have no interest in sharing it with those outside of their group.

Here it is typically the case that the schools contract with the association. Usually an association covers a geographical area, such as a county, city, or even region. Also, the state gives assignments to assocations for positions, not for crews. For example, our association was given a B semi for HL and LJ, an A semi for R, a 4A semi for U, and an A final for BJ. We decided which of our officials will fill those spots.
For the playoffs, the state association contracts with the officials as a crew (they send the contract to the crew chief via our web portal), but the host schools has to pay them out of the gate receipts, which a percentage gets turned over to the state association.

Regular season, schools are responsible for their own contracts with officials, except in the Metro and River Cities Conferences, where the Midwest Officials Association (I just realized I've been saying it wrong in the previous postings as Metro Officials Association) has an assignor that assigns the crews for those games. The home schools are still responsible for paying the officials.