The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I'm looking for some discussion/perspectives on these pass situations that occured in my varsity game last Friday.

Situation 1: Eligible A88 wide out, at the snap, starts to run his route, making no attempt to block B25. B25 then makes contact with A88, altering the route of A88, while A's QB throws an incomplete pass to A26 who is further downfield on the same side of the field as A88. I flagged B25 for defensive PI. B25 and his head coach then complained that B25 was allowed to "chuck" the receiver, (i.e. the contact was legal). My explanation was that B25 is allowed to contact the receiver if the receiver is making an attempt to block. In this case the receiver was not making an attempt to block and B25 clearly impeded the receiver. Your thoughts on how I handled this? (Note: Had the pass not been thrown when the contact occurred, I would have called B25 for holding/obstructing).

Situation 2: Eligible A89 tight end, at the snap, starts to block B56, both in the free blocking zone. B56 is still engaged with A89, trying to get free of A89's block, when A's QB throws a pass downfield to an eligible receiver.

A's head coach was screaming that his tight end was being held. A had a trips formation to my (HL) side and the tight end was on the opposite side. No flags were thrown on the play. Obviously a judgement call that you had to witness, but I'm interested in how others handle this type of action on a tight end that is clearly blocking to start the play.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 08:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by kentref

Situation 1: Eligible A88 wide out, at the snap, starts to run his route, making no attempt to block B25. B25 then makes contact with A88, altering the route of A88, while A's QB throws an incomplete pass to A26 who is further downfield on the same side of the field as A88. I flagged B25 for defensive PI. B25 and his head coach then complained that B25 was allowed to "chuck" the receiver, (i.e. the contact was legal). My explanation was that B25 is allowed to contact the receiver if the receiver is making an attempt to block. In this case the receiver was not making an attempt to block and B25 clearly impeded the receiver. Your thoughts on how I handled this? (Note: Had the pass not been thrown when the contact occurred, I would have called B25 for holding/obstructing).
I probably would have left this alone and would have talked to the player. It did not seem like the contact affected the play. If anything, I would rather call a personal foul if the contact was violent enough. But for the most part, this is a "talk to."

Quote:
Originally posted by kentref

Situation 2: Eligible A89 tight end, at the snap, starts to block B56, both in the free blocking zone. B56 is still engaged with A89, trying to get free of A89's block, when A's QB throws a pass downfield to an eligible receiver.

A's head coach was screaming that his tight end was being held. A had a trips formation to my (HL) side and the tight end was on the opposite side. No flags were thrown on the play. Obviously a judgement call that you had to witness, but I'm interested in how others handle this type of action on a tight end that is clearly blocking to start the play.
Obviously, both situations are judgment calls and really need to be seen to make an accurate decision. But I would say in this second situation, tough for the coach. If he instructs his TE to block, then they defender has the right to treat him as such. As long as he is not being held continuously (hands wrapped completely around player), then I would not on the surface call this defensive holding. The coach *****ing does not change that. They ususually complain based on bias and ignorance. So who cares what they are complaing about.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed.

Pass on the first one,although technnically you were right. No foul on the second one.