The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Team Refuses to Play

I am just a sports fan that reads this forum to have a better knowledge of the game.

A sit. from a HS game played under NF rules. Team A fumbles and B recovers and returns for TD. A flag, on B, for apparant block in the back is waved off after officials confer. A coach is irrate at the waved off flag and refused to send out a team to defend the PAT. Officials allowed B to convert a 2 pt PAT with no defense.

Is this correct, should there be any penalty?

Thanks, for your response, I will keep reading and learning.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

A team who refuses to play after being instructed to do so would result in a forfeit (and likely a report to the State Association Office).
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure exactly how I'd handle this. I think I might do just what this crew did. "Coach, bring 'em out!!!" And when he refuses, just blow the ready.

If they continued to refuse to play after that - perhaps 1 DOG and then a forfeit. I would not have the itchy trigger finger on that forfeit.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: mbcrowder...not sure I would do it that way. Allowing the offense to play a down prior to the defense being ready--anytime during the contest--IMHO makes a travesty of the game. I think I would follow mikesears' recommendation. Warn the defense's head coach of the consequences if he refuses to put his team on the field. Then if he still refuses, it's him pulling the trigger--not you. I really don't know what choice he gives you.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

I understand that ... and that's normally for safety reasons.

But you'd let them run that play with 10 men out there if that's what they wanted. What about 9. 8? Zero?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder
I understand that ... and that's normally for safety reasons.

But you'd let them run that play with 10 men out there if that's what they wanted. What about 9. 8? Zero?
REPLY: Let me clarify what I said in my earlier post. I had said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
Allowing the offense to play a down prior to the defense being ready--anytime during the contest--IMHO makes a travesty of the game.
In reality, I really don't care whether or not B "is ready" as long as they're on the field on their side of the neutral zone. What I meant is that I would not blow the ready until B comes back to the field. This also would include after a TO. Though in that case (after TO) I would flag them for DOG. If the coach refuses to send his team back onto the field. I stand by what I had said earlier.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder
I'm not sure exactly how I'd handle this. I think I might do just what this crew did. "Coach, bring 'em out!!!" And when he refuses, just blow the ready.

If they continued to refuse to play after that - perhaps 1 DOG and then a forfeit. I would not have the itchy trigger finger on that forfeit.
Are you sure you could forfeit, rather than just allowing play to proceed as in the example given? I don't consider it a "travesty", although that's arguable.

It's not one of the situations Fed instituted a few years ago for resuming play, in which both teams need to be ready or it's an infraction. And it's not a case of team A's refusing to play the ball within 2 mins. (or whatever it is in Fed). So I think the procedure that was followed in the case given -- an unopposed snap by A on the try -- is correct.

The next thing you need from the protesting team, assuming neither half ended, is a choice of which team is to kick off. I don't know what the remedy is for refusal to specify a choice offered by the ref. Is it forfeiture of the choice, delay of game, or USC? Or some combination?

No matter what, a kickoff is to follow, and then you're in one of those "resumption of play" situations where both teams have to be ready. If they still refuse, then the common sense solution is a forfeit.

Robert
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 11:13am
Chain of Fools

We would never allow a play to go off with only one team on the field. Proper steps would be -
1) warning
2) DOG
3) final warning
4) forfeit
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC
We would never allow a play to go off with only one team on the field. Proper steps would be -
1) warning
2) DOG
3) final warning
4) forfeit
That should handle it, and would be backed by the state I'm sure. Parents would be all over the coaches a** if they found out he had two warnings and knew the game would be forfeited and he let that happen.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

I'd go with a couple of DOG fouls, which would continually "halve the distance to the goal line." Then, we'd have a pretty sound basis within the rules for a forfeit.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 02:02am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
I'd go with a couple of DOG fouls, which would continually "halve the distance to the goal line." Then, we'd have a pretty sound basis within the rules for a forfeit.
I believe that you could actually award a score here too. Without A ever snapping the ball.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC
1) warning
2) DOG
3) final warning
4) forfeit
sorry, new to FB

what does "dog foul" refer to?
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 02:16pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujaye
sorry, new to FB

what does "dog foul" refer to?
Too many labradors on the field.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

DOG - Delay of Game
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 02:16pm
Stop staring at me swan.

delay of game...sorry, i bit.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 08:13am
Ref Ump Welsch

Your state associations SHOULD have some kind of procedure laid out for you in sits like this. Nebraska and Iowa both tell their officials, if the coach refuses to put his team out on the field, the R is supposed to talk to the coach, remind him that refusal to play is a forfeiture, and then step away and wait a minute or so. If at that point, the coach still hasn't budged, the R is supposed to just run over and grab the ball and do end of game (overhead signal with ball) and hightail it off the field with the crew.