The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Coach refuses to sit down

Coach has been, as coaches go, fairly silent regarding the officiating up to this point. Coach reacts to play on the court and stands calling for a foul. Referee calls a foul at about the same time, but Coach continues to stand, although is now simply talking to his team. Referee tells the Coach to sit down and Coach responds by saying "I don't have to sit down". Referee repeats his request and Coach continues to stand. Referee gives the Coach a T. Coach was at all times in the coaches box, in fact, coach never moved from in front of his chair. Was the T warranted?
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

depends what the area rule is about coaches standing. In soCal coaches have a box and are allowed to stand. If that is the case an official CANNOT tell a coach to sit down. That can only be reccommended or suggested AFTER the 1st direct or indirect T on the coach.

When I coached boys HS I got a T for this because the official told me to sit down for the rest of the quarter and I responded with "you are out of line telling me to sit down". Always let a coach bark first -- if you are the first to bark and he responds and you dont like it that's baiting and wrong IMO.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

In WI varsity head coaches have box and can stand throughout game in them. Officials cannot tell them to sit - and cannot T them for "not sitting".

UNLESS the coach has receive a T. Once he has received a T - directly or indirectly - he loses the privledge of standing in the box. If he does not sit after the T - he will receive another and be gone altogether. This is only for head varsity coaches and not for assistants or at any other level.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

1) deecee made a good point. If official 'barks' first, then do not assest a 'T' if the coach 'barks' back.
2) In Missouri, it is called a "Coaching Box", not a "Standing Box". If they want to observe the game, then it should be done while their butt is in the chair.
Also, just because they are in their "Coaching Box" this does not give them privilege to yell at the officials.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Something that is working for me....in my pre game with the coaches, I say " coach, we are enforcing the coaches box tonight"...not a warning since I started to use that line and I had 3's "T" for the box before that.

In Maryland, we use a coaches box too. Is there any where left that doesn't use a box?
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmz17
Coach has been, as coaches go, fairly silent regarding the officiating up to this point. Coach reacts to play on the court and stands calling for a foul. Referee calls a foul at about the same time, but Coach continues to stand, although is now simply talking to his team. Referee tells the Coach to sit down and Coach responds by saying "I don't have to sit down". Referee repeats his request and Coach continues to stand. Referee gives the Coach a T. Coach was at all times in the coaches box, in fact, coach never moved from in front of his chair. Was the T warranted?
Maybe yes, maybe no. You needed to see the whole "play" (with the coach).

Referee's call. T given - T works.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 03:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
1) deecee made a good point. If official 'barks' first, then do not assest a 'T' if the coach 'barks' back.
2) In Missouri, it is called a "Coaching Box", not a "Standing Box". If they want to observe the game, then it should be done while their butt is in the chair.
Also, just because they are in their "Coaching Box" this does not give them privilege to yell at the officials.
Nonsense. A coach has every right to stand in a coaching box.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser

Agreed......
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In Missouri, it is called a "Coaching Box", not a "Standing Box". If they want to observe the game, then it should be done while their butt is in the chair.
ITs been a while since I was on the darkside, but when I coached, WATCHING the team fail to execute BEFORE I YELLED AT THEM, was part of my coaching! Of course, I never, ever yelled at the officials.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Exactly! Part of coaching is observing the performance of your team and of the other team in order to make adjustments. Imagine if we had to referee form a seated position. Could we see as well? So, even if a coach says absolutely NOTHING while standing in the box, he IS coaching. In fact, he might even be one of the best coaches.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy
I don't know where exactly in STL you call but on my side of the river (the Missouri river that is...) that philosophy would not be good for advancement.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Now if this guy is the Assistant...."T" is appropriate.

Also in Ohio, while we have a coaching box, it must be marked and equal for both team as far as aproximate length 14' and distance to the table. If it is not marked... there is no box.

Home admin usually gets out the tape when I tell them that pregame.

Last edited by stmaryrams; Fri Feb 09, 2007 at 03:50pm.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

wow 14" -- so i can stand on 1 foot but i cannot pivot it because i will out of my cage...
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

You better not have size 15 shoes on my court....

Sorry typo
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

If I see there is no box marked, I always wait for the coach's meeting at 3:00 to tell them---No Box, No Standing. Its always worth a private laugh when the coaches panic and scramble to get the box marked.

I know, I know. It's wrong. But I can't help it.