The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 26, 2007, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Help from anyone especialy Ohio

3 guys at breakfast...

1st guy says,,, if a game is suspended until the next day, the OFFICIALS, MUST take the GAME TAPES with them...

2nd guy says NO... But the AD's must get the tapes and hold on to them.

3rd guy says.. It dosen't matter .... its not a rule that the game officials have to deal with..

Ive been thru the books I cant find a thing BUT I can swear Ive read about this situation somewhere...
Old Sun Aug 26, 2007, 09:12pm
Chain of Fools

Much like the headsets aren't working

question, game tapes are not a thing that a field official has any concern over unless its some local Ohio thing.
Old Sun Aug 26, 2007, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oHIolj
Ive been thru the books I cant find a thing BUT I can swear Ive read about this situation somewhere...
You won't find anything in the NFHS books. No such ruling exists.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Aug 26, 2007, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Urban Legend?

From Ohio and have always heard that we take the game films, but have never run acrossed it.
Old Sun Aug 26, 2007, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
i am from ohio and we do take the game tapes with us if the game is suspended. it actually happened about 5 or 6 years ago when rain and lighting hit hard in the 3rd quarter, the game was suspended and the referee took home the game tapes.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2007, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

And what did he do with them?
Old Tue Aug 28, 2007, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTVMartin
And what did he do with them?

he brought them back the next day when the game was continued.
Old Thu Aug 30, 2007, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/ft/boys/manual.pdf

Here is the pre-season Officials and Coaches manual from OHSAA. There is a section on suspended games and nothing about the game tapes. There is a section about game films and nothing about suspended games. I really don't think that is a rule but I will contact an OHSAA official.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oHIolj
3 guys at breakfast...

1st guy says,,, if a game is suspended until the next day, the OFFICIALS, MUST take the GAME TAPES with them...

2nd guy says NO... But the AD's must get the tapes and hold on to them.

3rd guy says.. It dosen't matter .... its not a rule that the game officials have to deal with..

Whoever that third guy you mentioned is give him a pat on the back.

It has never been a requirement that officials take the game tape on suspended games. No rule, no bylaw, no written procedure.

There is a reason there is no written procedure. Coaches are honor bound not to use the game films while the contest is being played.

So, I have a question to those who feel it is their duty to be the tape police.

Do you take the tape at halftime as well? If not, then where is the consistentcy in your logic?
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC
question, game tapes are not a thing that a field official has any concern over unless its some local Ohio thing.
The only concern is with those who think they are the tape police. Sorta similar to the ones who want to be the headset police.

Using their same logic, it would authorize the referee to shut down the concession stand on the home side because none exists on the visitor side and it is unfair they would have to walk farther to get a hotdog. Are there any officials who consider themselves the concession stand police here in Ohio?

Last edited by Daryl H. Long; Wed Sep 12, 2007 at 11:49pm.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
You won't find anything in the NFHS books. No such ruling exists.
Tony,

You are so right. None exist in any "Ohio" publication either.

Why officials get so power hungry and usurp authority they have never been given is beyond me. Their rationalizaton is, "we have always done it this way", "I heard we are supposed to do it this way" or they get so bold as to quote an authority who said so but will not provide concrete evidence to prove the authority ever said it. Some pretend to look for it but can not find it (like Old School), others know it is in their attic but too busy to find it , and even others are an authority unto themselves.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

I could not get a response from Mr. Zaborniak or Mr. Dickerson.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

I came across this several years ago when I served as a substitute official on a completed game. The members of the crew who returned from the night before informed me that they did not take the game tapes. They said both coaches asked about giving the game tapes but the referee said it was not his responsibility. The referee informed them there was a regulation prohibiting them from looking at or using the game tapes, but that was a game administration issue, not an officials issue. As a result, each coach gave their tapes to the opposing A.D. and the A.D.'s brought the tapes back the following day.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeRef
I came across this several years ago when I served as a substitute official on a completed game. The members of the crew who returned from the night before informed me that they did not take the game tapes. They said both coaches asked about giving the game tapes but the referee said it was not his responsibility. The referee informed them there was a regulation prohibiting them from looking at or using the game tapes, but that was a game administration issue, not an officials issue. As a result, each coach gave their tapes to the opposing A.D. and the A.D.'s brought the tapes back the following day.

Why do they need to exchange game tapes at all? They are both taping THE SAME GAME.

If a coach is so unscrupulous that he would violate the rules and view HIS OWN game tape the he certainly will look at the OPPONENTS tape.

Same goes for Ad's, Principals, etc.

What if there are two tapes and they only turn over one?
What if they are taping directly to hard drive of computer (directly to DVD? Do you take their computer also?

These are all rhetorical questions but represent a scenario that could exist in fact. There is no foolproof way guarantee that a coach will not violate the rules and look at the tape other than a coach with the moral disposition who refuses to look and violate policy.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl H. Long
The only concern is with those who think they are the tape police. Sorta similar to the ones who want to be the headset police.

Using their same logic, it would authorize the referee to shut down the concession stand on the home side because none exists on the visitor side and it is unfair they would have to walk farther to get a hotdog. Are there any officials who consider themselves the concession stand police here in Ohio?
Daryl, We were asked to be the lockerroom police this week. A JV game and at half time the home coach told us to tell the visitors not to use the lockerroom (it was just a temp warming house for the ice sheet in the park) since the home team couldn't. I said, hey, that is not our jurisdiction. Amazing how we are viewed as the police for everything.