The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone else hear an inadvertant whistle when Indiana muffed a punt in the first quarter? No one owned up to it. Maybe I'm hearing things.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

There probably was, and if so the crew kicked it if you pardon the pun.

Deep guys need to slow down and react to the play. I noticed a bean bag tossed. That would indicate the end of kick as a result of a catch. It was clear there was no catch.
Again, sloooooowwwww down and react to the play. Just because there was a fair catch signal, doesn't mean you have to blow the whistle a millisecond after a catch.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2005, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

There was not one... but TWO inadvertant whistles in this game. Both came on kicks that were muffed by the receiver while the ball was loose. On one (free kick/kickoff) the officials gave the ball to the team which recoverd the ball. On the punt, the kicking team recovered the ball and the officials made them replay the down. I caught all of this on replays later in the games broadcast so I do apologize if I have made a mistake.

I am confused on the first IW why the recovering team got the ball. I am certain that the whistle was while the ball was still losse after the muff.

I am not up to date on NCAA rules so I will leave this to those that know better than me for an explanation.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I watched the game and it was an "odd" game to say the least. Tempo of the game was....off.
I won't bad mouth the officials on the mistakes because mistakes happen. But I do think they should have replayed the punt. And I'm a Buckeye fan so it's not because I was upset by the outcome of the call.
Indiana played much better than the score of the game indicates. I think that some of the controversial rulings on the field may have gotten into the Indiana players heads. Thrown them off there game some.

Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

I was listening to the radio and heard the whistle prior to the announcer yelling fumble, I thought that the announcer was slow.