The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 08:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wow, there are a lot of problems in Ohio I see.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

The rule reference is 1-6-1:
Electronic communication equipment, other than an audio tape recording, including but not limited to computer, film, television and video tape or any type of still or moving pictures, shall not be used for coaching purposes during the game or between periods.

Since we are required to enforce the rules in the rule book, we are somewhat bound to enforce this. One way to do it is to take the game tapes during a suspended game. I see the point about a normal halftime period but I guess the difference is the amount of time available to do something with the tape.

We had a suspended game this year and we were asked by the visiting coach to take the tape because they had an issue the previous year. The home team AD had no issue with this so we asked for the tapes. One of the teams used a hard drive camera so they had to give us the entire camera. The other one was a very nice camera and the person who brought it didn't know how to get the tape out. One team had a second camera so I ended up taking home 3 very nice cameras. That was a little uncomfortable because I was responsible for a lot of high value equipment.

I see both sides of the argument and generally agree it is up to the honor of the coaches and game management but will ablige with administrators if they want us to be the keepers of the tapes.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 09:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

That rule reference is a stretch. The rule does not directly account for a suspended game. Now if a state or area wants to have such an interpretation in place that is there right. But I do not see how the officials are supposed to be responsible for this rule. It is possible that someone could not hand over a tape to you and then what? I think sometimes we take certain rules too far. I know I do not care what tapes are around during a suspended game because there is no guarantee I will be back.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

and if both teams have their own film it is not an advantage. They can both look at them and the outcome will not be changed by that one thing. Watching film does not win games.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn
and if both teams have their own film it is not an advantage. They can both look at them and the outcome will not be changed by that one thing. Watching film does not win games.
Then why not let them use them during the game. Oh yeah, there is a rule prohibiting it! Apparently the federation believes it can affect the outcome. Apparently Bill Belichek does too.

I am an Ohio official. a couple years ago we were told NOT to worry about the tapes in this situation. I don't know if that was a result of a change in the policy or because there never was such a policy and guys were still doing it.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

In our association in North East Ohio, we do not take tapes. Our policy is to have the principals or their rep. from each school handle it. What if the crew from the suspended game cannot return to finish the game? What good would it do to have the tapes?
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

OK, you take the "official" copies of the video from the observation booth...are you going to confiscate every other video camera on the premises as well? The senior student capturing posterity, the proud parent capturing their kid's great play...you create quite the situation, and no matter how hard you try, you won't get everyone's film.
Another thing...even if the coaches do not view the film, that doesn't mean that the players won't when they get home. But there is a equilizer to the madness; both teams will have a "fair" advantage. I'm not saying it's kosher with the rules, but one team won't be unfairly disadvantaged. From the many games I've been to, each team misjudges the other.
My advice, don't go looking for trouble. Call the game, write down the vitals, head to the locker rooms and come back the next day from where you stopped and have a great end of the game.

Last edited by a4caster; Sun Sep 16, 2007 at 08:44am.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmatt
In our association in North East Ohio, we do not take tapes. Our policy is to have the principals or their rep. from each school handle it. What if the crew from the suspended game cannot return to finish the game? What good would it do to have the tapes?
I am familiar with your "association". In my opinion it is filled with a bunch of has beens, never will bes and losers. Which category do you belong?