The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Announcing Fouls

What would be the official "foul" when announcing for a rule such as 6-3-12, Team A player voluntarily going out of bounds and coming back in. The rulebook notes signal S19, yet they removed the ambiguous "Illegal Procedure" nomenclature a couple of years ago.
This is not the only example...there are quite a few fouls in the NCAA code that use S19 but are a mouthful to say. Is there any references of actual foul names that I could use?

thanks
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

How about "#85 of the kicking team illegally out of bounds"?
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

I suppose that would work.....I'm reading too much into it as I sometimes do. thanks
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 10:49am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Is there a place online where I may see these signals?

(Recall that I'm Canadian, so I don't know what US signal #85 is.)
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: He didn't mean signal #85. Rather he meant that you could announce the "(player) #85 of the kicking team was illegally out of bounds."

NCAA signals can be found at http://www.ncaa.org/library/programs...ll_signals.pdf
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: He didn't mean signal #85. Rather he meant that you could announce the "(player) #85 of the kicking team was illegally out of bounds."

NCAA signals can be found at http://www.ncaa.org/library/programs...ll_signals.pdf
Let's be happy there aren't 85 (or more) signals. We'd have R's looking like third base coaches!
Old Thu Jun 14, 2007, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Canfootball52
I see the NCAA signal for tripping is the same as in Canada. I've had to signal that penalty once as the Referee. I thought I was going to fall and break my neck.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

See if you can find Ben Dreith and ask him about proper announcements. He'll give you the good scoop.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: If I remember correctly, when Dreith gave his now famous "givin' him the business" announcement, he accompanied it with a rather unorthodox signal too, didn't he?
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Right - I was trying to figure out why I'd never heard of this. Then I realized - I was nine years old at the time and had barely started watching football.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2007, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_NV
What would be the official "foul" when announcing for a rule such as 6-3-12, Team A player voluntarily going out of bounds and coming back in. The rulebook notes signal S19, yet they removed the ambiguous "Illegal Procedure" nomenclature a couple of years ago.
This is not the only example...there are quite a few fouls in the NCAA code that use S19 but are a mouthful to say. Is there any references of actual foul names that I could use?

thanks
Where are you getting that it would be signal 19? It will be it will be in illegal touching foul, which is signal 16? The reason IP is no longer a signal is cuz officials would call IP for everything instead of FS, IF, and some would even use it for IM, and IS fouls.

That is why I love having a field mic. You can explain what happened, and are encouraged to do so in order that the coaches and fans understand what the foul was. As mentioned above you would say something like "illegal touching, #85, the player went OOB's and was the first player to touch the ball."
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

S16 is illegal touching for the purposes of an otherwise eligible receiver that is first to touch a legal forward pass inbounds after voluntarily going out of bounds. Otherwise, going out of bounds by either team during a scrimmage down that doesn't involve a kick is legal (assuming they started the down inbounds)

S19 comes into play during a free kick (6-1-2-g) or scrimmage kick (6-3-12) where a player cannot voluntarily go out of bounds and return, regardless of whether or not he touches the ball.

Speaking of field mics, where is the best place to get one? We have a guy in our HS association that has one and knows how to pipe it in to the PA system at most of our schools.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_NV

thanks
I can't even think of a time an NCAA referee used the words "illegal procedure" during any NCAA (collegiate) game I've worked over the past 15 years.
He verbalized the foul just as described in the summary of penalties section of the book for the appropriate foul S19 was used for. Like around 18 or so different fouls.

Game management dictates whether you use a Mic or not. I certainly wouldn't advise showing up to a game with your own expecting to use it.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2007, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey

Game management dictates whether you use a Mic or not. I certainly wouldn't advise showing up to a game with your own expecting to use it.
I most definitely agree with that statement Theisey. If it is that simple that you can plug it into their system and it will work, you could ask them about it though. I would surely want to test it out a couple of hours before game time though in a situation such as that.