Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Somebody please help me with these:

Quote:
While A1's try is in flight, a double personal foul is committed. The ball enters the basket. The official counts the basket, charges teh foul, award no FTs, resumes play with the AP procedure and recycles teh shot clock. Is the official correct?
The answer is yes, and is directly supported by AR 26 on page 143.

So then, what is the difference in this case?
Quote:
While A1's try is in flight, the officials assess a double direct technical foul. The try is successful. The official rules that the penalties offset each other, awards no FTs, awards Team B the ball and allows Team B to run the end line. Is the official correct?
The answer is again yes! Why do you go to the arrow after a double personal, but not after a double technical? I understand that for double personals, you award the ball back to the team in control and for double T's you award the ball at the POI. But neither team was in control in the first question, and there is no team control at the POI in the second question. So why wouldn't you also go to the arrow after the double T's?
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 11:58am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Somebody please help me with these:

Quote:
While A1's try is in flight, a double personal foul is committed. The ball enters the basket. The official counts the basket, charges teh foul, award no FTs, resumes play with the AP procedure and recycles teh shot clock. Is the official correct?
The answer is yes, and is directly supported by AR 26 on page 143.

So then, what is the difference in this case?
Quote:
While A1's try is in flight, the officials assess a double direct technical foul. The try is successful. The official rules that the penalties offset each other, awards no FTs, awards Team B the ball and allows Team B to run the end line. Is the official correct?
The answer is again yes! Why do you go to the arrow after a double personal, but not after a double technical? I understand that for double personals, you award the ball back to the team in control and for double T's you award the ball at the POI. But neither team was in control in the first question, and there is no team control at the POI in the second question. So why wouldn't you also go to the arrow after the double T's?

Could it be that in the second play the double foul are technical fouls and the game is resumed from the point of interuption.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Could it be that in the second play the double foul are technical fouls and the game is resumed from the point of interuption.
Absolutely. But it seems to me that the POI is while the shot is in the air. There would then be no team control, so you'd still be forced to use the arrow.
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 12:09pm
If you need me, text me!

On page 131 Rule 10-8-3 states "When double direct technical fouls are committed, no free throws shall be awarded. Play shall resume from the point of interruption."

Of course, I'm with Chuck... the POI is during a time of no team control and the POI definition doesn't cover what to do when there is no team control.

Chuck...where did these plays and rulings come from?
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 08:43pm
Esteemed Participant

Chuck, there's no team control, but since the ball went in, the POI would be team B getting the ball for a throw-in anywhere on the endline...just as if it was a single T called...example: A4 goes up for a shot, ball in air, and A4 feels he/she was fouled - turns to you and yells "Call the *&$%^#@ foul"...you, of course, T the player, count the basket, allow anyone from B to go to the other end and shoot two, and then come back and give B the ball for the throw-in under the basket because that is where play was interrupted...make sense?
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
give B the ball for the throw-in under the basket because that is where play was interrupted...make sense?
Honestly, Rocky, no it doesn't. The game was interrupted while the shot was in the air. Maybe I'm not understanding exactly what the POI is in this situation (obviously ), but it seems to me that the POI occurs when there is no team control. How can you blow the whistle when there's no team control and then say that the game was interrupted when the ball was B's disposal after the made basket? I don't get it. And NCAA 4-50 doesn't help, b/c it specifically says you give the ball "to the team that was in control" at the time the game was interrupted.
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

I'm with you Chuck. If the same situation occurs with a double foul, you go to the arrow. How can a double tech produce a different POI?
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
I'm with you Chuck. If the same situation occurs with a double foul, you go to the arrow. How can a double tech produce a different POI?
It doesn't produce a different POI, but the penalties for double personal and double technical fouls are different.

Double personal-Award to the team in conrol with no reset of the shot personal foul clock (In all other cases, use the alternating-possession arrow with reset of shot clock.)

Double technical-Resume at POI.

As far as the original question is concerned, check out

Rule 7-5 A.R. 13. The coach from Team A is assessed a direct technical foul (a) during a try for goal while the ball is in flight; (b) during a throw-in; (c) during a jump ball. RULING: Any player from Team B shall attempt the two free throws for the direct technical foul. In (a), although there was no team control when the whistle was blown, if the try is successful, play shall resume with the awarding of the ball to the team not credited with the score.

Although this is only a single technical foul, POI ought to be the same for a double technical.

Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
give B the ball for the throw-in under the basket because that is where play was interrupted...make sense?
Honestly, Rocky, no it doesn't. The game was interrupted while the shot was in the air. Maybe I'm not understanding exactly what the POI is in this situation.
Chuck -- Everyone knows I'm NOT an expert in NCAA stuff, but it appears to me as though D.J. is saying that the POI occurs when the ball becomes dead -- and that the ball isn't dead until the basket is made or missed. If the shot was missed, I'm conjecturing, then you would go to the arrow. I'm extrapolating this from his case of a single T. Once the ball is in the air, the foul, even an A team foul, doesn't make the ball dead immediately. At least, I think that's what he's saying.

D.J. -- Just for my own edification, isn't this different from Fed? In fed, if I remember correctly, if the shooter fouls while the ball is in the air, the ball becomes dead, and the shot, if made, doesn't count, right? Another offensive foul away from the ball doesn't have the same effect, right?
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Seems to me this is pretty much the same discussion we had about a week ago about whether to count the basket on an inadvertant whistle while a successful try is in flight. And wasn't the bottom line pretty much the same? You count the bucket and award the ball to the team that would normally have gotten the throw in.
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Seems to me this is pretty much the same discussion we had about a week ago about whether to count the basket on an inadvertant whistle while a successful try is in flight. And wasn't the bottom line pretty much the same? You count the bucket and award the ball to the team that would normally have gotten the throw in.
So, why is the double personal foul different -- why not say the B had "control" after the made basket and give the ball to B instead of using the arrow? Shouldn't the rules on these (Double Ps and Double Ts) fouls be reasonably consistent?

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
D.J. -- Just for my own edification, isn't this different from Fed? In fed, if I remember correctly, if the shooter fouls while the ball is in the air, the ball becomes dead, and the shot, if made, doesn't count, right? Another offensive foul away from the ball doesn't have the same effect, right?
If the foul is by the airborne shooter (or the shooter before releasing the ball), then the ball is immediately dead in FED and NCAA W. Not in NCAA M, for the airborne shooter.

If it's a foul by the player who shot, but has returned to the floor, then it's the same as any offensive foul -- the ball isn't dead until the try ends, under all codes.

Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

If it's a foul by the player who shot, but has returned to the floor, then it's the same as any offensive foul -- the ball isn't dead until the try ends, under all codes.

So....

if the shooter swears at you while he's in the air, the ball is dead, but if it's after he lands, the ball is still live until the try ends?
Old Fri Nov 28, 2003, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

So....

if the shooter swears at you while he's in the air, the ball is dead, but if it's after he lands, the ball is still live until the try ends?

I'm sorry, Juulie. I thought we were talking about personal fouls (which, when committed by an airborne shooter are PC fouls, except NCAA M).

If it's a T, then the "airborne shooter" rule doesn't apply. IF the ball is in the air, the ball doesn't become dead until the try ends -- the try will count if it's successful.

Old Fri Nov 28, 2003, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So....

I'm sorry, Juulie. I thought we were talking about personal fouls (which, when committed by an airborne shooter are PC fouls, except NCAA M).

If it's a T, then the "airborne shooter" rule doesn't apply. IF the ball is in the air, the ball doesn't become dead until the try ends -- the try will count if it's successful.

Thanks, Bob. Here's a related question. If a Team A player commits a T away from the ball, while the ball is in the air, is that the same as a personal foul -- shot counts if it goes? Or is the ball dead at that moment? I'm talking Fed here.
Old Fri Nov 28, 2003, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, why is the double personal foul different -- why not say the B had "control" after the made basket and give the ball to B instead of using the arrow? Shouldn't the rules on these (Double Ps and Double Ts) fouls be reasonably consistent?
So do you share my confusion here, Bob, or are you merely playing Devil's Advocate? I can live with "T's, you can run the endline; personals go to the arrow". But I'd like some rationale. Is it "just because"? I hate that.