The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 11, 2006, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

I know of two flagrant fouls that were called in the conference tournaments this season, and a third one that was missed. Is this some kind of trend? Is the poor behavior finally coming to the forefront?

1. The groin punch by George Mason's Tony Skinn against Hofstra's Loren Stokes was missed.
2. Oregon's Aaron Brooks - flagrant personal for elbow to the face of Washington's Ryan Appleby during play.
3. New Mexico State's David Fisher threw a punch that missed at Nevada's Nick Fazekas - flagrant technical.

With the importance of these contests, one would think that the players would refrain from these boneheaded actions, but perhaps the high emotions and intensity of the games are getting the better of the young contestants.

It just seems to me that flagrants have been rather rare prior to this year. Any comments?
Old Sat Mar 11, 2006, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Maybe the incident with Temple last year, where Cheney sent the kid in to "punish" St. Joe's, has made assignors stress the flagrant/intentional foul this post-season. In that Temple game, none of the kid's fouls was even called intentional.

I honestly don't know, Nevada; I'm just guessing.