The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

New Referee

Hey guys, I am getting licences to referee football next year. I was wondering what postion should a new ref in football try to obtain
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 04:27am
Official Forum Member

4-man crew: Linesman
5-man crew: Linejudge

Other than that I don't know, because I'm not used to larger crews. Also, you shouldn't keep to just one position, try out various positions after a while, but these are good places to start, anyway. Good luck!
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

This comes up every year in our association meetings. You could justify putting a new person at any position other than referee. The middle positions (U, BJ) keep you away from the coaches and the heat that brings. It also prevents you from sounding uneducated if you don't know the answer to their questions. I think there are more things for the wing officials to worry about than the middle positions. One of the primary differences between the wing positions is the chains. The LJ doesn't have to worry about this so the position may be slightly easier (most experienced wings I know prefer the LJ side so newer wings often get the chains).

The umpire is a pretty critical role because of their location and need to communicate with the R. Everything is right in front of you and very fast paced so I think it's one of the harder positions. You have a lot more to watch and worry about than the R during the play. It's also the position most likely to get knocked down.

The BJ may be the easiest position and most likely filled by a new official but the calls you do make are out in the open and visible by everyone. They are also usually judgement calls (catch/no catch, pass interference) and that can be tough for a new official.

We've started new officials at all 4 positions and they all worked because they were right for that person. Work as many positions as possible especially when working youth and sub-varsity games and you will get a feel for where you are the most comfortable. Even after you get a varsity assignment, work other positions in other games because it provides you a different perspective and makes you better at your normal position.

Good luck and welcome!
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Work any and all spots. It helps if you can understand the responsibilities of the other officials working the field and there's no better way to acquire that knowledge than to work that position. You'll also see for yourself what position you feel most comfortable with.

You should also seek out and watch how other respected officials work their positions. Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't get defensive when you're offered some constructive criticism. Granted, some people are better at offering advice than others but most have their hearts in the right place.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

I agree with bisonlj about descriptions of the positions. I disagree with people who say work all or different positions. For brand new officials I think learning one position is best in the early stages of your career. Learn the mechanics of one position and the rules of the game, before you move around the field. Having success at one position early is critical to keeping new officials. Each person is different and learn differently, so this is not a hard and fast rule, but a recommendation.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with working different positions. Although I think it's most difficult for a new guy to work back judge at the varsity level (other than R). Mostly due to alot of special situations (especially in the kicking game), and some of the more difficult judgment calls in football.

Here in our association in NC, new officials are encouraged to volunteer as a 5th official for JV games (we work 4 man for JV). If you want to work BJ, this would be a good opportunity, because it's a less stress situation and a little slower pace.

Also, working linejudge in a 4 man crew can help, because they go back for punts, so you can hone your BJ skills that way also.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenOfNC
...(snipped)...

Also, working linejudge in a 4 man crew can help, because they go back for punts, so you can hone your BJ skills that way also.
I agree.

I work the R position during our varsity games where we work with 5-man crews. During our JV games, in which we work 4-man, I always work the LJ because you get the chance to improve 2 facets of your officiating during the same game. We also have two guys besides myself on our crew who can step in and work the R position, so they are usually chomping at the bit to wear that white hat . I think it is a blast working other positions in the lower-level games.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2006, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for all your help
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

You want to work all positions. You'll start out on the wings. It really doesn't make much difference which one, but you will need to learn how to supervise the chain crew. So I'd suggest getting comfortable with HL. Then, learn the umpire position. Some guys find their home there. But by, say, your 3rd or 4th week in the season, you need to work sub varsity games at R. You need to learn how to run the show.

Back judge is much more technical than it seems. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you are going in there in varsity games. I spent a lot of time at multiple scrimmages before this season working the back judge position. I think I'm going to go BJ at break out meetings at the camps I go to next spring.
Old Mon Dec 11, 2006, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Maybe I should clarify my previous statement. When working sub-varsity and youth games work as many different positions as possible. I wouldn't suggest moving around from game to game for varsity contests - there's enough to learn without trying to pick up a new position on the fly.
Old Tue Dec 12, 2006, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Up here, you start on the sides for the first few years.

Then once you've got the hang of officiating you'll try out the different positions and then you'll probably identify with a position you enjoy working.

I did the sides for a few years, but I'm thinking that I wanna be the umpire, so next season I'll be asking for the majority of my assignments to be in the Umpires position so I can get more practice.