The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Folks,
Starting over in officiating (3rd year in rec league by design) after a lengthy hiatus in coaching and serving as a school principal. Got hooked up with this forum about 2 months ago and now check it 3x/week-good stuff.

One of the points that I've read about from all of you is "ref the D", however I'm unable to find references in any of the NFHS books (rulebook, case book, officials manual, or simplified and illustrated). Tried using the search function, but it is disabled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. References, threads, etc.

Many thanks,
C
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 03:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

The term "Referee the Defense," is not a rulebook or casebook or even a Officials Manual term. The term is a concept on what works for basketball officiating. All it means is that you basically pay attention to the defense, instead of just focusing on the offense when officiating. This is done obviously to help officials make easier calls, especially the block/charge variety.

So at the very least you will not find this in the NF books, but you will see some reference to the NCAA Manuals. It is an officiating tool, to help get calls right and help understanding the game from an officiating perspective. I would suggest that you subscribe to this site or to Referee Magazine, you will hear this concept often in those publications. Or you can attend several camps and hear the same wording as it relates to what you are to do as an official.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

As JRutledge said, it is mostly a tool or method for judgeing the action.

Most fouls depend mostly what the defender does. If the defender is legal and there is contact sufficient for the foul, it must be on the offense. If the defender is not legal and there is sufficient contact for a foul, it is most likely on the defense.

However, there are only a few fouls that can be deterined by watching the offense....pushing off, etc. But all of them can also be detected by watching the defender. If you are watching he offense, you will never know if the defender established legal guarding position or which directly they were moving at the time of contact...all elements that don't apply to the offense.

The only infractios that the offense can commit without the involvement of the defense are OOB, traveling, illegal dribble. Most of these can be seen even when focusin on the D.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

If you consider the block charge call where the defender is stepping in and the driving player is elevating for the lay-up, you can easily see the sense in this approach. It is easy to see the elevation occur if you are watching the defender who is inside the offensive player. If you are mesmorized by the drive until the player elevates, you will probably not know whether the defender's final move into position for the charge occurred before or after the player elevated. It won't be as apparent to you, and then you can't make the right call.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Triangle, when you master this concept you are a 100% better ref, and feel much better about your calls. It's worth the work it takes to get a feel for it.

The first step is to step back and see the whole play. Don't get so wrapped up in travelling or double dribble that you don't look up and see what else is happening outside the dribbler's little aura. The easiest way to do this is from the stands watching lots and lots of ball. You can practice where you focus your eyes, when to have your head up or down, and when to glance around. Practice seeing how the players move around each other and how the "dance" develops. This is hard to do when watching on TV, because you can't choose where to look.

Next, practice predicting where the contact will be for the dribbler. Look down the floor, and notice which defenders have a shot at stopping her, or getting in her way. If there's a defender guarding closely, practice watching their "relationship" develop. This is still work to do from the stands.

Once you can predict the contact with a fair degree of accuracy, you'll SEE block/charge develop and you'll know every time how to call it.

From here, it's just a short step to seeing the whole defensive movement, and where the fouls are developing. If you are watching the defender, you KNOW who got to the spot first, the defense or the dribbler. You KNOW whether that offensive screen was there in time -- did the defender get two strides, or didn't she?

When you referee the D, you can see the whole thing.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 07:34pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

While we're learning to ref the defense, we can miss a few travels. But with help from the coaches and fans, we get that too, after a bit.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Best way to practice watching the defense and off-ball, IMO, is to sit in your favorite chair, turn on ESPN/ESPN Classic and just start watching college basketball games. The camera focusing on the ball can make it somewhat more difficult, but start concentrating on the defensive teams or a single defensive player. Follow him wherever he goes on the court, then pick a different player when the ball is turned over. Soon enough, you should be able to focus on the defense or off ball during your games.

The other thing I do (during games) is to say to myself "blue's on defense . . . blue's on defense" this helps me with directions of OOB calls and with focusing on the blue players.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Triangle NC ref
Folks,
Starting over in officiating (3rd year in rec league by design) after a lengthy hiatus in coaching and serving as a school principal. Got hooked up with this forum about 2 months ago and now check it 3x/week-good stuff.

One of the points that I've read about from all of you is "ref the D", however I'm unable to find references in any of the NFHS books (rulebook, case book, officials manual, or simplified and illustrated). Tried using the search function, but it is disabled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. References, threads, etc.

Many thanks,
C
I first heard this phrase at a camp as part of the "4 Principles of Officiating"

1. Stay in your primary
2. Call The Obvious
3. Referee the Defense
4. Trust Your Partner

I've found it helps my game quite a bit when I say to my self all 4 during a game from time to time.

[Edited by Larks on Oct 25th, 2003 at 10:39 AM]
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
I first heard this phrase at a camp as part of the "4 Principles of Officiating"

1. Stay in your primary
2. Call The Obvious
3. Referee the Defense
4. Trust Your Partner
Did you learn a tune with these words? Sounds like it could make a catchy song... which would also help with the memory...
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Two things from this week

This week I had a fast break and was transitioning to Lead. As we passed the three point line toward the near basket the defender was between the player and the basket. I focused on reffing the defense and saw that indeed, the defender had established position prior to the offensive player leaving their feet and crashing into him.

Later in the game, as Lead, I watched the defender in the block challenge a shot by a player driving toward the basket. He jumped straight up and kept both arms straight and did not swat at the ball. There was a little contact on the chest (initiated by the offense) but nothing serious. When the offensive guy wanted a foul after the shot missed I simply told him that the defender was allowed to jump within his vertical plane.

So Triangle, my wise elders on this forum have helped me to ref the defense by focusing my eyes and mind on the defensive position while the play is developing. I'm training my eyes to move away from the ball a bit to see the defenders feet and space.

Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Triangle NC ref
The most difficult thing that you'll need to overcome is watching the ball. You'll have to learn to focus yourself away from the ball and on the defender. The ball has never fouled anyone, nor will it ever. When you find yourself looking at the ball, re-focus and make yourself look at the defense. After a while, it will come naturally to you.

Are you working with the Triangle Officials Association? If not, you need to hook up with them. If you can call rec, you can call middle school/Jr. High and work your way up to JV, and eventually, varsity. You'll also get valuable clinic time that will give you a better understanding of the rules and applications. Drop me an email if you need the information.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2003, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Two things from this week

Quote:
Originally posted by LepTalBldgs
This week I had a fast break and was transitioning to Lead. As we passed the three point line toward the near basket the defender was between the player and the basket. I focused on reffing the defense and saw that indeed, the defender had established position prior to the offensive player leaving their feet and crashing into him.

Later in the game, as Lead, I watched the defender in the block challenge a shot by a player driving toward the basket. He jumped straight up and kept both arms straight and did not swat at the ball. There was a little contact on the chest (initiated by the offense) but nothing serious. When the offensive guy wanted a foul after the shot missed I simply told him that the defender was allowed to jump within his vertical plane.

So Triangle, my wise elders on this forum have helped me to ref the defense by focusing my eyes and mind on the defensive position while the play is developing. I'm training my eyes to move away from the ball a bit to see the defenders feet and space.
I'm with Lep. This board has helped tremendously, and that's why I can give the advice above with confidence. Like Lep, once you get it right about twice, it just clicks, and you can say with great self-assurance, "I nailed that one!" Nothing feels better. Except the evaluation that says, "Wow, great block/charge calls!"
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 08:26am
Huck Finn

Going along with what Mark Dexter said, it is also helpful to know the numbers of the players in your primary. Keeping this in mind helps you focus on your primary, ref the D and know who the foul is on. Some supervisors like to hear the offending players color and number right after the whistle. This helps in knowing who the foul is on and it also helps with your perception. If you do this then someone might think "he/she knew that foul was on blue 22 right away, he/she must be right." That can go a long way because we have very few friends while we are on the court.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

One of the very few things I don't like my association is they want us to ref the game even the team jerseys are Blue & Blue. It's difficult for me to ref the defense.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 12:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Chin Ref
One of the very few things I don't like my association is they want us to ref the game even the team jerseys are Blue & Blue. It's difficult for me to ref the defense.
Chin Ref,
YU.P., sometimes it is difficult (Thus, a reason we are not expected to work for free.)
mick