The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

The ultimate insult!

Why you shouldn't wear your uniform in public!

A little embarrasing sharing this because it's a comment about me but what the heck. My family decided to go to NH for thanksgiving and I already had committed to my game. So rather than back out on my crew I decided to buy a plane ticket and catch up with my family later in the day. Low and behold a Nor'easter came through NJ and the airports were all backed up.

My game was at 11 and my flight out of Philly was scheduled for 4:00 and was to arrive in Boston at 5:15 and dinner was to be approx. 6:00. So, when my ~3 hour penalty fest was over I had an urgent voice mail indicating that all flights were backed up by 2 hours which meant I would be missing turkey day dinner. Luckily, the earlier 1:30 flight was delayed until 3:30 and was told if I hurry I might make the delayed 1:30 plane. So, instead of changing I jump in my U's car and he drives me to Philly airport at nearly 70 mph and drops me off at the main gate. The gate agent told me if I sprinted through the terminal I might make the flight. So here I am running thru the terminal in knickers, striped socks, and a plain black shirt (I removed the stripes). I get to the gate and I make it in time and a little out of breath. So I took a seat after they confirmed I could fly as standby and feeling great knowing I would make dinner.

I'm thinking "wow this is awesome" until some old lady comes up to me and asks "Are you some kind of a football ref or a JOCKEY?"

Oh well, I did what I had to do.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I can imagine an irate fan following you from the game to the airport and thinking, "Wow, this ref really wants to get out of town in a hurry!"
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge
I'm thinking "wow this is awesome" until some old lady comes up to me and asks "Are you some kind of a football ref or a JOCKEY?"
Were you wearing one of the new NFL uniforms?
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

I was laughing out loud thinking of how you looked running thru the airport. Good that you were able to make it back for your family though!
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

You should have told her you were doing an airline commercial.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
You should have told her you were doing an airline commercial.
Nah, but ljudge could write a book about how he would make a commercial if he did it.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

During the season, keep an extra sweatshirt and pair of sweatpants in the car or with you at all times. Worst case scenario is you take off your shirt and knickers and pull those over. This can be done in the car. Yes, even while driving, but wait for the red light on those knickers!