The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 27, 2001, 10:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Good grief! Dave really went over the top on this one. Read it and tell me what you think.

Saturday morning rec league. I'm doing three games with Dave - 8th grade boys. With about two minutes to go in one of the games, the score is A-34, B-31. A1 inbounds, Coach B yells for his team to foul, B1 runs up to A2 (who now has the ball inbounds) and politely grabs the back of his jersey. Dave calls an intentional foul (absolutely the right call).

As you might imagine, Coach B doesn't like it one bit. He raises his voice (not really yelling) at Dave and asks him how he could make a call like that, it's part of coaching to foul to stop the clock, would he rather the player foul harder, etc. You get the picture.

To his credit, Dave calmly (really) explains the rule and reminds the coach that it's a POE this year. The coach doesn't care, and tells Dave it's a stupid rule and we shouldn't enforce it.

Dave gets this big grin. He goes over to his gym bag and pulls out a rule book. He gets a pencil from the table and hands both to the coach. He tells him to please mark all the rules in the book that he doesn't want us to enforce and that we will wait. Dave then sits down next to the table and crosses his arms.

The coach stands there like a deer in headlights while I am trying not to fall over from laughing so hard.

The coach puts the book and the pencil on the table and goes back to his bench and sits down.

Dave gets up, says loudly, "I guess the prospect of having to actually read a rule book scared him." At this point, even the parents were cracking up.

We then administered the free throws and got on with the game. The coach didn't say a word the rest of the game or even after the game, and his team committed two more intentional fouls and lost by 12.

I wish I could bottle Dave and sell him. I'd make a fortune.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2001, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Like always, Dave is a RIOT

He obviously has a "care-free" attitude when it comes to dealing with antaginistic situations. The Commentary at the end, "... 'I guess the prospect of having to actually read a rule book scared him.' was terrific and well-deserved "Icing on the Cake".

Well-done Dave (and Mark)
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

how does he come up w/ stuff like that during the games???

btw, what school were the games in? it was in portland right? but what schools?
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
How does he come up with it? It is a gift. There are a few people like Robin Williams that have it. I have met many a teacher that has it. I, on rare, occations have it. But for the most part, we all have the I should have said ... syndrom. If you have it be greatful, if not then be greatful too. You don't have to have everyone in the country reading about the comment you made last week.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

Dave is officially my hero. That one is going in my mental rolodex.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Mark..

I LOVE IT !!!!

Tell me when dave is going to do a game and i'll drive 5 hours south to see him.

SH
keep smiling and smiling and smiling...
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 03:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by ilya
how does he come up w/ stuff like that during the games???

btw, what school were the games in? it was in portland right? but what schools?
I said it was a rec league game. I know you're in Hillsboro, and the games I work with Dave are in Tigard, Tualatin, Lake Oswego and Wilsonville. This one was in Tigard. I used to work a lot with Dave in Beaverton, but our paths don't seem to cross there anymore.
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

alright, thanks Mark.
btw, do you know the refs who work for HYB (Hillsboro Youth Basketball) league?
cuz they haven't been officiating very well in our games (see my post a few spots below)
Old Sun Jan 28, 2001, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Is this guy going on tour anytime soon?

Maybe we could pair up Dave and the Harlem Globetrotters.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 01:49am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by ilya
alright, thanks Mark.
btw, do you know the refs who work for HYB (Hillsboro Youth Basketball) league?
cuz they haven't been officiating very well in our games (see my post a few spots below)
No, I don't. However I can tell you that when I used to be in Tualatin Hills Officials Assn., we alternated with the Hillsboro refs for some games at the Tualatin Hills rec center on 158th. Players used to tell us with some consistency that they also had trouble with those refs. I marked it up to the players trying to butter us up.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Smile Davism

Had a gilrls HS jayvee game the other night. Girl steals in her frontcourt, then steps on the division line. Tweet. Backcourt. Coach standing right there screams at me "There's three lines!!!!" "Coach, she hit two out of three. I'm a gamblin man. I'll take those odds." We didn't talk much the rest of the night.

MattB
Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 11:49am
certified Hot Mom tester

Re: Davism

Quote:
Originally posted by mattbray
Had a gilrls HS jayvee game the other night. Girl steals in her frontcourt, then steps on the division line. Tweet. Backcourt. Coach standing right there screams at me "There's three lines!!!!" "Coach, she hit two out of three. I'm a gamblin man. I'll take those odds." We didn't talk much the rest of the night.

MattB
I'm confused. What did he mean by "lines"? Did you think he was referring to the "three points" theory? If so, that only applies to a dribbler bringing the ball from backcourt to frontcourt. I'm not criticizing your quip, since I appreciate every "Dave wannabee" (that's a compliment), but I think you should have addressed his obvious lack of rules knowledge.

Maybe a good comeback would have been, "Yeah, and by the way you're coaching, you must have snorted all three."
Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Three Lines

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by mattbray

MattB
I'm confused. What did he mean by "lines"? Did you think he was referring to the "three points" theory? If so, that only applies to a dribbler bringing the ball from backcourt to frontcourt. I'm not criticizing your quip, since I appreciate every "Dave wannabee" (that's a compliment), but I think you should have addressed his obvious lack of rules knowledge.

Maybe a good comeback would have been, "Yeah, and by the way you're coaching, you must have snorted all three."
Just a guess, but . . .
maybe there was the mid-court line, then two other lines parallel to it (voleyball, cross-courts, etc.)

We have this in my school's gym, and officials have called BC when going over the wrong line - we table folks usually straighten them out.
Old Mon Jan 29, 2001, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry. The three lines were all at half court, the division line, then two other lines marking sideways courts. The division line is the obvious thick, school colors, etc. The other two lines were thinner lines on each side of the division line marking oob for the other courts.