The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

On the wane....

So my third season of football is almost over, I have one more junior high game on Monday afternoon and then I'm done for the year.

I'm beat. I know most of you would think that 26 games in a year is nothing, but it's more than twice as many as I've ever done in a season, and I'm just worn down and have to re-assess if I want to do this again.

I've gotten a ton of reps this year, and that's great. I've learned a lot (mostly by getting stuff wrong or nearly getting it wrong). This year has been a terrific learning experience.

Maybe it's just the nightmare from last night, but I'm really sick of coaches and I don't know if I have the temperament to deal with them at higher levels if I eventually move up.

Does anybody else get like this? Am I just cranky because it's the end of the season and I'll be fine after some time off?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

You've got to change the way you think, or you'll need to get out. You can't take this stuff home with you and worry about it. Its got to be left on the field, or at worst, be gone by the next morning. The coach(es) on the team you had a problem with is/are (an) idiot(s) and likely (a) very poor coach(es). They were blaming you for their problems. At some point, you've got to shut things down by saying something like, "coach, we are done talking; I'm not going to listen to this silly nonsense and calls for phantom penalties." Then, shutup and ignore what they say. I promise you that after a while if you ignore them, they will go away and focus on other things. If they get worse, you have tools at your disposal for dealing with it.

A lot of people don't understand that it isn't an argument people like this don't like, its being ignored.

I had a jr. high game similar to this a few weeks ago. Both coaches (at different times) were raising their voice, and I shut that down immediately. Then, I made careful and calm responses to their questions, and when they ceased being questions, I said, "OK, coach, we're playing ball." I guess one coach felt like he got in the last word when he expressed his displeasure at the end of the game, but by then, it didn't matter. I'm leaving the field and going home, knowing that we worked a solid game.

Remember this: the guy you had last night has a chip on his shoulder about officials. It wasn't you; it could have been me or any number of guys out there and he would have responded the same way. He is a little man in the truest sense of the term, and he doesn't come close to deserving your attention. Feel sorry his players have to have him as their coach and move on.

I'm actually more concerned about you thinking 26 games is a long season. I had that many less than halfway through our season, which we have 3 weeks left on the regular portion of it.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

I agree totally with Aggy. I will add that it is important to decompress after a game. Thats why god made crews and friends and "adult beverage establishments" close to game sites. In addition, if you are concerned about the number of games you are doing, schedule a day off. You need a little time just to do something else. If for no other reason than to stay sane. The other thing is talking about your experiences with veteran officials or crew members. In all my pregames, I start off by asking if there is anything that anyone wants to get off their minds. That little time I spend with the crew to "clear the air" can often times be the difference between an official keeping a clear head on the sidelines....or going off the deep end on a coach or player.

So hang in there. Remember---take one game at a time. Deal with the game. Deal with the Post Game and then let it go. Learning from mistakes and occurrences does not mean thinking about it for a long time.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I'm actually more concerned about you thinking 26 games is a long season. I had that many less than halfway through our season, which we have 3 weeks left on the regular portion of it.
Remember, this is only my third season at this, I'm 41, and this isn't my only extracurricular activity. For me, 26 games is a lot. For someone who just has one job and just officiates on the side, that might not be a lot (I know guys who have done over 100 games in a season). For me, it feels like a lot, so whether that feels like a lot or a little to someone else isn't a big concern to me.

I'm just tired and haven't gotten to the point yet where I can blow off what coaches say.

Maybe I should just move in from the wing and be an umpire.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Also remember, there are a lot of coaches out there who recognize a good job when they see one. Let me give you two examples.

Last weekend, I had a Mitey Mite game (8-9 years old, I think). Coach of one team had EVERY possible break and call go against him - they end up being shut out. But they had a great attitude - the only thing I got from the sideline all game was a very calm "May I ask a question, sir?" from time to time - with one exception. On a punt by his team the ball landed, bounced off of his player, an opponent, and was recovered by his player. My bean bag is already down, I stop the clock and signal first touching and receivers' ball. Coach says, "Hey, that should be our ball!" I say, "Coach, your player touched it first." He stands there for a second, and then says in this very 'angry' tone of voice, "Well, you know what? ... I'm wrong!" I was doubled over laughing. After the game, I complimented the staff on setting the right example for the kids.

Last night, we had a varsity game we knew would be ugly from the opening kickoff. Visiting team has been chippy all season, and the home team is pissed at being 4-3 and out of the playoffs in favor of a 3-4 team because overall record is not a selection criteria for wild-card teams. (Long story behind that one.) Coaches of both teams before the game say that they'll do everything they can to keep things under control, and they made valiant efforts. We still had a number of PFs and USCs, and one incident that nearly escalated into a bench-clearing brawl. (Note to players: Deep in the opponents' bench area is NOT a smart place to lay a late hit on someone.) But we didn't have to toss anyone, mostly because we were talking to kids constantly and hustling to stand between them whenever things started getting a bit chippy. And after the game, both coaches said that they thought all the flags were warranted and that they appreciated our hard work in keeping the game under control.

Coaches like these make up for the next 10 obnoxious ones you see. And at the end of the game, all you have to ask yourself is this: Did you do the best job that you know how? Did you learn something new? If the answer to both questions is yes, go home and rest easy.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 02:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie

Why is that a reason to be concerned? OAB works basketball as well. I work baseball and basketball. I worked about 100 baseball games this past season and have about 40 varsity basketball games scheduled starting the week of Thanksgiving.

Not all of us think working football 5-6 days a week is a great gig. I worked a grand total of 2 Saturdays this season -- one varsity reserve game and one afternoon varsity game. I'd rather sit at home and watch college football on TV.

I've worked 11 varsity games (around here they play 99% of the games on Fridays so you can't get 2-3 varsity games in each week) and 12 Thursday subvarsity games. That's 25 games so far, less than OAB. I'm a varsity WH and worked each position (except back judge) at least once this season.

BTW, I could work all the youth ball I want, but that violates 2 of my personal rules: I won't work in less than a 4-man crew anymore. And I won't work youth ball unless they stick cash in my hand before the first game starts. And the local league stopped doing that this season.

Last edited by Rich; Sat Oct 21, 2006 at 02:19pm.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

I don't work football 5-6 days a week; maybe 4 at the most. I also do basketball and mixed in a hoops camp about 3 weeks ago. I certainly understand what it means to be worn out.

And, of course, I understand there isn't the availability of games everywhere like in Texas. My concern, and that may be too strong a word, stems from the fact that he said he worked 26 games and was ready for the season to be over with. Many around here barely feel the season has started after their first 26 games. Further, I experienced burnout in officiating before (hoops, early '90s) and wanting the season over with, regardless of number of games worked, is one symptom of such. Hence why I said I was concerned. From reading his posts, it appears to me he is a very good official, obviously has a strong interest in improving, and we all need guys like that. I'd hate to see him leave the game.

I think there can be a re-wiring of your brain (so to speak) to overcome some of the stuff he's frustrated with, and that was my intent. It wasn't to make a big deal about the number of games worked. That was just a symptom, as I said, of problems I've had in the past, and I'd simply like to pass on experience so anyone can take it or leave it for what its worth.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Why is that a reason to be concerned? OAB works basketball as well.
Used to. I started with basketball (hence the username), but gave it up because I realized I would have liked it better without the players, coaches and parents. Which didn't leave much. Too lazy to start all over with a different username.

As for burnout, yeah, but it's not just football burnout. I tend to burn the candle at both ends and in the middle, so I'm just burned out in general and need to find a way to simplify my life.

As for rewiring to not let these things bother me, yes, I'm sure that can be done with experience. I'm not there yet. I still take these things personally because, while I think my biggest improvement in year three has been presence and feeling like I belong out there, I am not yet confident enough in my judgment to feel like I have the courage of conviction behind my calls. I'm hopeful I'll get there sooner rather than later, because I'm still not 100% confident of my rules knowledge or judgment on applying it on things like holding and pass interference and I'm still not where I want to be on sideline demeanor.

But thanks for the other compliments.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 10:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
Used to. I started with basketball (hence the username), but gave it up because I realized I would have liked it better without the players, coaches and parents. Which didn't leave much. Too lazy to start all over with a different username.

As for burnout, yeah, but it's not just football burnout. I tend to burn the candle at both ends and in the middle, so I'm just burned out in general and need to find a way to simplify my life.

As for rewiring to not let these things bother me, yes, I'm sure that can be done with experience. I'm not there yet. I still take these things personally because, while I think my biggest improvement in year three has been presence and feeling like I belong out there, I am not yet confident enough in my judgment to feel like I have the courage of conviction behind my calls. I'm hopeful I'll get there sooner rather than later, because I'm still not 100% confident of my rules knowledge or judgment on applying it on things like holding and pass interference and I'm still not where I want to be on sideline demeanor.

But thanks for the other compliments.

You quit hoops after 44 games? And now you feel this way after 47 football games?

Are you sure you're cut out for officiating?
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 10:47pm
Chain of Fools

I used to feel that way during LL baseball

district tournament time. We were starting up weekly f.b. meetings about then and I found my mind wandering to football. We had a good local league but some of these district coaches think they're Connie Mack.

I always get a little down as f.b. season winds down and find I miss it for a few weeks. I've been fortunate to work a week or two into the playoffs but there are too many ahead of me to make it past the early rounds.

Barring anything unforseen, this will be the first season that I've worked every Friday night save the opening week when there are just a few games scheduled in our area. I've worked almost every Thursday too. I used to call 3-4 days, maybe even 5 per week. Now 2, maybe 3 is all I get but physically I fear that I'm going to have to cut back soon or come off the wing.

I'm not a fitness buff but do try to work out 3-5 days a week at lunch to be in some semblance of shape to officiate. I'm 43 and have called for the past 13 years. Like most guys my age, I ought to drop a few pounds and actually did lose 10 over the summer. I laugh at what the doctor's chart thinks I [I]should[I] weigh

The cooler weather the last couple of weeks has really gotten to my knees and hips and its difficult to get loose. We come dressed to the game site and pre-game stretching can be minimal. I suffer from plantar faciitis, arthritis and favoring my right foot to keep the pressure off the heel has led to tendonitis in the achilles this season. Its a struggle to take those first few steps out of bed on Friday and Saturday mornings.

I don't really want to be an umpire and I don't know if I can get selected as a WH. I don't want to hang it up but I don't want to get to the point I'm not effective. I've felt at times that I'm not getting downfield fast enough and thanking God that I've got a BJ on Fridays at least.

OK, now I'm depressed
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
You quit hoops after 44 games? And now you feel this way after 47 football games?

Are you sure you're cut out for officiating?
Guess not.

Sorry to waste your time.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC
I'm not a fitness buff but do try to work out 3-5 days a week at lunch to be in some semblance of shape to officiate. I'm 43 and have called for the past 13 years. Like most guys my age, I ought to drop a few pounds and actually did lose 10 over the summer. I laugh at what the doctor's chart thinks I [i]should[i] weigh
Yeah, those charts have never done me any good, either. Even when I was fencing in college and in pretty damn good shape, I was still 25-30 pounds "overweight" according to the charts.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 08:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
Guess not.

Sorry to waste your time.
Hey, this is a serious question.

Your first few years are going to be HARD YEARS. This is why many, many officials pack it in after a year or two. You don't know what you don't know and everyone else sees a rookie (or near rookie) official. It's like blood in the water.

I'm sorry to see you give up basketball, is what I'm saying. It doesn't really get good (in my opinion) until you're super-comfortable (read: almost bored) working a JV game and start working towards varsity. Now I don't get pumped up until I'm in my jacket listening to the band playing the warmup music.

I've brought 2 new officials onto my crew the past 3 seasons in football. Neither official had worked a football game. EVER. Their first games were as my back judge on a varsity field.

The guy with 3 years experience (now) is my umpire and he is one of the best I've ever worked with. The guy with 2 years experience moved to line judge this season and did a great job. They both had extensive experience working other sports and that helped, but they were still willing to make mistakes and accept criticism. Sounds like a mentor would help you a lot.

Is your season almost over? Once it's over, put your gear away for a while and revisit these thoughts in a few months. Someone who cares enough to come here and post should stick with it a while.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
OnB,

Like Rich said, a mentor might be a good idea. You can post anything you'd like here but the bottom line is none of us have seen you work a game. Talk to some of the guys you work with and get their opinions of your work. Ask for their overall impression. Ask what you do well. Ask what you need to improve on.

I'm always asking for feedback. I try to identify a weakness before every season. Then I work to correct it. I expect the same out of my entire crew. We talk frequently about thing we can do to improve individually and as a crew.

I hope you'll stick with it but only you can make that decision.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Hang in

I'm in my 4th year of football and 2nd of basketball...

A couple of tips to prevent burnout:

1. Control your schedule - In my chapter, we get to see our full season befre it starts. We have the opportunity to turn back games and manage how much we work. If i have openings later, I let my assigner know that I am available as a sub for such-and-such dates. Not sure if you have this in your chapter...

2. Talk - I'm not suggesting a running bannter with the coaches on your sideline, but you need to communicate at certain points. Be open and be neutral - speak with authority on the rules and on what you (or a crew member) saw in explaining why a call was made. It's OK to admit a mistake if one is made (by you, not by a crew mate). It's also OK to state that the other official had a different view and you can't speak to what he saw. If it needs to go further, bring the WH over.

3. Forget - The next play is a new opportunity. Not to atone for the play before, but to ensure that the game is played within the rules. Don't hang onto what happened even 1 play ago. Work what's going on now - what's in front of you now is what's important.

4. Set the example - It's hard to believe sometimes what shennanigans the coaches engage in. Remember that they are setting a bad example for the kids, the parents, and the fans. We're not there to set an equally bad (or worse) example. Work to get your calls correct. Keep calm. Think. Speak clearly, and without emotion. Following the coaches' lead is a downward spiral.

The behavior of coaches, fans, and players can make you want to walk away from officiating. Officials play an important role in demonstrating how things are supposed to be done. It's a great opportunity to be an example for those that need it most - especially when that example is not provided by those from whom it should come.