Thread: On the wane....
View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 21, 2006, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

I don't work football 5-6 days a week; maybe 4 at the most. I also do basketball and mixed in a hoops camp about 3 weeks ago. I certainly understand what it means to be worn out.

And, of course, I understand there isn't the availability of games everywhere like in Texas. My concern, and that may be too strong a word, stems from the fact that he said he worked 26 games and was ready for the season to be over with. Many around here barely feel the season has started after their first 26 games. Further, I experienced burnout in officiating before (hoops, early '90s) and wanting the season over with, regardless of number of games worked, is one symptom of such. Hence why I said I was concerned. From reading his posts, it appears to me he is a very good official, obviously has a strong interest in improving, and we all need guys like that. I'd hate to see him leave the game.

I think there can be a re-wiring of your brain (so to speak) to overcome some of the stuff he's frustrated with, and that was my intent. It wasn't to make a big deal about the number of games worked. That was just a symptom, as I said, of problems I've had in the past, and I'd simply like to pass on experience so anyone can take it or leave it for what its worth.