Thread: On the wane....
View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 22, 2006, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Hang in

I'm in my 4th year of football and 2nd of basketball...

A couple of tips to prevent burnout:

1. Control your schedule - In my chapter, we get to see our full season befre it starts. We have the opportunity to turn back games and manage how much we work. If i have openings later, I let my assigner know that I am available as a sub for such-and-such dates. Not sure if you have this in your chapter...

2. Talk - I'm not suggesting a running bannter with the coaches on your sideline, but you need to communicate at certain points. Be open and be neutral - speak with authority on the rules and on what you (or a crew member) saw in explaining why a call was made. It's OK to admit a mistake if one is made (by you, not by a crew mate). It's also OK to state that the other official had a different view and you can't speak to what he saw. If it needs to go further, bring the WH over.

3. Forget - The next play is a new opportunity. Not to atone for the play before, but to ensure that the game is played within the rules. Don't hang onto what happened even 1 play ago. Work what's going on now - what's in front of you now is what's important.

4. Set the example - It's hard to believe sometimes what shennanigans the coaches engage in. Remember that they are setting a bad example for the kids, the parents, and the fans. We're not there to set an equally bad (or worse) example. Work to get your calls correct. Keep calm. Think. Speak clearly, and without emotion. Following the coaches' lead is a downward spiral.

The behavior of coaches, fans, and players can make you want to walk away from officiating. Officials play an important role in demonstrating how things are supposed to be done. It's a great opportunity to be an example for those that need it most - especially when that example is not provided by those from whom it should come.