Thread: On the wane....
View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

You've got to change the way you think, or you'll need to get out. You can't take this stuff home with you and worry about it. Its got to be left on the field, or at worst, be gone by the next morning. The coach(es) on the team you had a problem with is/are (an) idiot(s) and likely (a) very poor coach(es). They were blaming you for their problems. At some point, you've got to shut things down by saying something like, "coach, we are done talking; I'm not going to listen to this silly nonsense and calls for phantom penalties." Then, shutup and ignore what they say. I promise you that after a while if you ignore them, they will go away and focus on other things. If they get worse, you have tools at your disposal for dealing with it.

A lot of people don't understand that it isn't an argument people like this don't like, its being ignored.

I had a jr. high game similar to this a few weeks ago. Both coaches (at different times) were raising their voice, and I shut that down immediately. Then, I made careful and calm responses to their questions, and when they ceased being questions, I said, "OK, coach, we're playing ball." I guess one coach felt like he got in the last word when he expressed his displeasure at the end of the game, but by then, it didn't matter. I'm leaving the field and going home, knowing that we worked a solid game.

Remember this: the guy you had last night has a chip on his shoulder about officials. It wasn't you; it could have been me or any number of guys out there and he would have responded the same way. He is a little man in the truest sense of the term, and he doesn't come close to deserving your attention. Feel sorry his players have to have him as their coach and move on.

I'm actually more concerned about you thinking 26 games is a long season. I had that many less than halfway through our season, which we have 3 weeks left on the regular portion of it.