The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
Any NC guys here?

I was in NC last weekend and caught the South Caldwell vs Watauga game, looked like the best game in the area I was in. I have a couple questions about the mechanics I saw:

The wings were not only punching back the end if he was off the line, but also punching him "on" if he was on the line. I also saw the LJ pointing forward with 2 fingers a couple times to signal that he had 2 on the line on his side. If you're not punching back, then obviously they're on the line right?

The entire game I never saw the wings or the BJ signal that they had 11. Only saw U and R signalling each-other. Who counts what in NC?

U never made it to the LOS on passing plays, never even made an attempt. Who has the responsibility for wether the pass is released past the LOS in NC?
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

SC uses the same mechanic for signalling on/off the line.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Why is that, though? If you're not punching him back, then he's on the line. What's the point in punching him on?

I never worked on a wing when I was in Alabama, only BJ, U and R. I do know that they only punched back, not on. In Texas, the wings will punch the end back if he's off and count the players on the line on his side of the center. He then signals how many he has (touch cap bill for 3, cheek for 2, chest for 4) to the opposite wing. If they're signals don't add up to at least 6 then you drop the flag.

Do other states have each wing count the total number of guys on the line?
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaBlue
Why is that, though? If you're not punching him back, then he's on the line. What's the point in punching him on?

I never worked on a wing when I was in Alabama, only BJ, U and R. I do know that they only punched back, not on. In Texas, the wings will punch the end back if he's off and count the players on the line on his side of the center. He then signals how many he has (touch cap bill for 3, cheek for 2, chest for 4) to the opposite wing. If they're signals don't add up to at least 6 then you drop the flag.

Do other states have each wing count the total number of guys on the line?
In Texas we no longer punch the back off. Let me rephrase that. We're not required to but some still do. Touch bill for 3.. hold 2 fingers for 2.. and hand on cheek for 4. Previously the "punch back" was given to help the BJ determine his key, since he would take the End on the strong side. Now, in a balance formation he will key the end on the LJ side. If it's twins the BJ will take the inside receiver regardless if he is on or off the line. When that mechanic came, the "punch back" went away.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We do it as a courtesy to the coaches and players, so that there will be no question as to whether the player is on the LOS, off the LOS, or in "no man's land."

As for the other questions, the LJ and BJ should be counting the defense. The umpire should be moving to the line incase of a close passing sitch, as well as officiating the blocking and pass rush.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 10:10pm
Chain of Fools

I used to work that area, lived in Boone

That association does punch both up and back for the wide man. I think some NCAA mechanics do that to.
The LJ, HL and BJ should all be counting B in that group.

Now that I've moved further west, this association only punches back. The HL isn't required to count, just concentrate on 7 man line.

Here is the sports page from Boone. I'll be up there to see my mother-in-law and the ASU v. Furman game the end of October.

http://www.wataugademocrat.com/0_sports.php3

They are excited, best season they've had in long time- They are a 4A school but football lost its popularity there in the 90's. They won a state 3A championship in the late 70's.

AC Reynolds of Asheville and Alexander Central will be tough conference games for them. Reynolds looks like contender for state finals.

Last edited by HLin NC; Wed Sep 27, 2006 at 10:13pm.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

They (Watauga) only have one player on that team, they better pray he's healthy for the season. If I remember correctly, Breitenstein had 263 yards against South, the rest of the team combined for 33 yards, 34 of which came on that 4th down hail mary at the end of the game to set up the winning score.

That's not a typo either, other then that one pass, the rest of the Watuaga team combined for -1 yards. South's defense is no slouch and they knew what was coming. That kid's just a machine. 1126 yards in 6 games, he's no joke.

AND OMG #11 IS HOLDING IN THAT PICTURE!!! CHEATERS. 8-)
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In Texas we no longer punch the back off.
Not entirely and certainly not universal. I know from talking to a Big 12 LJ they still punch back, but don't do anything else. Of course, they are working with 3 downfield guys. In my area, with 3, 4, or 5, we still punch back and either tip the cap or fist on the chest for our end being on. I don't recommend the fingers since 50+ yards away, especially in low light, its very hard to see exactly what they've got.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
AND OMG #11 IS HOLDING IN THAT PICTURE!!! CHEATERS. 8-)
I disagree. I think he's just trying to keep from getting bowled over!

Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Not entirely and certainly not universal. I know from talking to a Big 12 LJ they still punch back, but don't do anything else. Of course, they are working with 3 downfield guys. In my area, with 3, 4, or 5, we still punch back and either tip the cap or fist on the chest for our end being on. I don't recommend the fingers since 50+ yards away, especially in low light, its very hard to see exactly what they've got.
Should have mentioned my post was for 5 man mechanics. Since the wing guys are only required to count the players on the line, nobody cares if that outside guy is a back or not so punching out doesn't accomplish anything for us.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX
Should have mentioned my post was for 5 man mechanics. Since the wing guys are only required to count the players on the line, nobody cares if that outside guy is a back or not so punching out doesn't accomplish anything for us.
In GA, we only punch if the widest wideout is off the line. The wings don't signal how many they have on the line, except that if it's an unbalanced line we do give a signal for that. We have had no problems.

I've noticed the SoCon crews (NCAA I-AA) at Georgia Southern games giving a fist signal to the wing on the other side. I assume it meant that they had three linemen on their side of the center. I like that mechanic.
Old Sun Oct 01, 2006, 10:21pm
Chain of Fools

You are correct SouthGARef

Wingmen in SoCon give fist for balanced line.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
We do it as a courtesy to the coaches and players, so that there will be no question as to whether the player is on the LOS, off the LOS, or in "no man's land."

As for the other questions, the LJ and BJ should be counting the defense. The umpire should be moving to the line incase of a close passing sitch, as well as officiating the blocking and pass rush.
I'm from NC, and our association's mechanics are exactly as BktBallRef stated.

I've also been told that, in addition to being a courtesy to coaches and players, we signal both on & off the LOS to confirm to the opposite wing (and possibly to observers) that we haven't overlooked this part of our pre-snap routine.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

PocketSidewalk, you get the 2012 season award for resurrecting the oldest thread.

Old Mon Sep 24, 2012, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
PocketSidewalk, you get the 2012 season award for resurrecting the oldest thread.
Wow! I didn't even look at the date of the posts!

This thread came up when I was searching for something else; I saw it and dove in head first without even looking. Talk about being late to the game!