View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaBlue
Why is that, though? If you're not punching him back, then he's on the line. What's the point in punching him on?

I never worked on a wing when I was in Alabama, only BJ, U and R. I do know that they only punched back, not on. In Texas, the wings will punch the end back if he's off and count the players on the line on his side of the center. He then signals how many he has (touch cap bill for 3, cheek for 2, chest for 4) to the opposite wing. If they're signals don't add up to at least 6 then you drop the flag.

Do other states have each wing count the total number of guys on the line?
In Texas we no longer punch the back off. Let me rephrase that. We're not required to but some still do. Touch bill for 3.. hold 2 fingers for 2.. and hand on cheek for 4. Previously the "punch back" was given to help the BJ determine his key, since he would take the End on the strong side. Now, in a balance formation he will key the end on the LJ side. If it's twins the BJ will take the inside receiver regardless if he is on or off the line. When that mechanic came, the "punch back" went away.