The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Sideline Warning

I am trying to get a good idea on what everyone thinks about sideline warnings?

Basically, I have had coaches who at the begining of the game are really good at staying on the sideline, their get-back coaches are still remembering thier assignments and are keeping everyone back...

But as the game wears on a coach takes a step on the field, then its both feet, then its pushing the sideline hash mark.

I have always felt that if I am going to give a sideline warning I should do it in the early part of a game, that way the coach knows I am not tolerating him on the field.

I know most of you have differening opinions on how much leeway you give a coach as a wing official. What are some of you philosophies concerning sideline warnings?
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 01:23am
Do not give a damn!!

In our state we are told to enforce this rule rather strictly. That is the way they want it, that is what is expected of us. Now I personally have given some leeway. I am not going to penalize a coach that just happens to be a step or two on the field and not interfering with play. I am not going to tell a coach all night to get off the field. It seems when you throw that flag they seemed to listen to you and take you seriously.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar729
I am trying to get a good idea on what everyone thinks about sideline warnings?

Basically, I have had coaches who at the begining of the game are really good at staying on the sideline, their get-back coaches are still remembering thier assignments and are keeping everyone back...

But as the game wears on a coach takes a step on the field, then its both feet, then its pushing the sideline hash mark.

I have always felt that if I am going to give a sideline warning I should do it in the early part of a game, that way the coach knows I am not tolerating him on the field.

I know most of you have differening opinions on how much leeway you give a coach as a wing official. What are some of you philosophies concerning sideline warnings?
Cougar,

It is just a warning, we need to use is more and more, why we don't use it is a shock to me. Just think about your own personal safety, if you run into the coach and break your leg that would be worse than a player getting hurt in my mind. We had one on Friday and it served it purpose and that sideline was fine the rest of the night.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
I agree, we need to use it more. I don't mind a coach a step ot so on the field calling in a play or communicating with players, as long as he is out of my way when the play is ready to go off. On the other hand they are like kids for the most part, give them an inch and they will take a mile. I use the warning early when I need to and as stated earlier, it usually gets their attention and corrects the problem. I always tell the newer officials I work with to not be afraid to use it. Also warning the coach about it before the game when you are talking to him will also help drive the point home when he sees that flag being launched.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

How do you physically call the sideline warning? What's the mechanic?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Here in Western NY we throw the flag on the first infraction even though there is no yardage, the R gives the sideline warning signal, the wing explains no yardage this time and the game goes on.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Here we throw the flag and while R is signalling the press box the wing who threw the flag is signalling the sideline.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

In Missouri, although they do want the only three coaches in the box rule enforced, we've been told it's no problem if the coach steps on to the field to signal in or give a new play to the QB as long as he returns to the box as soon as he's done. What they don't want is the coach to maintain a position on the field during the play.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

IMO, (in Fed) it's an important part of the mechanic to throw the flag. We had this debate a year or so ago in our association because some thought that it's just a warning and not a foul and therefore no flag was needed.

I disagree. It's important to remember that this is a foul, and there is a prescribed penalty by rule. It's just that the penalty for the first offense is a warning. More importantly, we can't disregard the psychological effect that the flag has on both sidelines even though no yardage is assessed.
So get that flag up there where everyone can see it, just do it early and be aware of the game tempo, momentum, etc. when you do it and it's a very effective, though underutilized tool that we have at our disposal.

Last edited by DJ_NV; Tue Sep 26, 2006 at 12:32pm.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_NV
IMO, (in Fed) it's an important part of the mechanic to throw the flag. We had this debate a year or so ago in our association because some thought that it's just a warning and not a foul and therefore no flag was needed.

I disagree. It's important to remember that this is a foul, and there is a prescribed penalty by rule. It's just that the penalty for the first offense is a warning. More importantly, we can't disregard the psychological effect that the flag has on both sidelines even though no yardage is assessed.
So get that flag up there where everyone can see it, just do it early and be aware of the game tempo, momentum, etc. When you do it and it's a very effective, though underutilized tool that we have at our disposal.
Well put DJ, we had the same debate in out chapter last year and the state finally agreed and said to throw the flag!
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

I agree with tossing the flag. The Mechanics Manual indicates no flag but the NFHS pre-season handout from last year said throw the flag. I think throwing a flag adds weight to the warning.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
Cougar,

Just think about your own personal safety, if you run into the coach and break your leg that would be worse than a player getting hurt in my mind.
It would be if it was my leg that broke