The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Inside the Numbers

My association has decided to strictly enforce 7-2-1. My philosophy has always been if the defense sends a player out to cover the wide receiver, don't worry about it. In my game the other night, the R was constantly calling out to the wide receivers prior to the ready to "get inside the numbers" even when the defense had players out there to cover them. I thought this was a bit excessive.

Also, apparently after 4 weeks of the season, the state has decided to strictly enforce the jewelry/adornment rule. This same R had two unsportmanslikes, one on each coach, for wearing "Lance Armstrong" bracelets. I have always just told them to get them off.

Any thoughts on either of these?
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

We check for those bracelets when we meet with the coaches for pre-game and nip it in the bud at that time. We check for smoked faceshields too. It avoids having USC's during the game.
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Penalizing a team because a player was not inside the 9-yard marks after the RFP seems a bit ticky-tac but so is penalizing a team when they only have 6 on the line of scrimmage or they cover a tight end who goes out for a pass.

I assume you ask the coaches if their teams are legally equipt before each game. I'd be willing to bet that both coaches put some thought into the answer before saying 'yes' next week. I'll check the players as best I can before the game during warm-ups.

Know fully the rules and accept officiating procedures for each sport in which one serves as arbiter. An officia's person opinion about the value of a rule is not to have an effect on the enforcement of the rule. - Points of Emphasis
Old Sun Sep 24, 2006, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

This is the 3rd year since those "Amrstrong" braclets got popular. I'm tired of the constant reminders to take them off. I've started calling USC's on these this year. At this point, its the only way they are going to learn.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
My association has decided to strictly enforce 7-2-1. My philosophy has always been if the defense sends a player out to cover the wide receiver, don't worry about it. In my game the other night, the R was constantly calling out to the wide receivers prior to the ready to "get inside the numbers" even when the defense had players out there to cover them. I thought this was a bit excessive.

Also, apparently after 4 weeks of the season, the state has decided to strictly enforce the jewelry/adornment rule. This same R had two unsportmanslikes, one on each coach, for wearing "Lance Armstrong" bracelets. I have always just told them to get them off.

Any thoughts on either of these?
Were they running no huddle all game? Or how long does it take your R to blow the whistle? If he blows while they are in the huddle, they should be okay. In two years and 50+ games haven't had it come up once.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

They were running no huddle.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not a big stickler for the 9-yard marks rule unless Team A is deliberately trying to deceive (like a "hide-out" play) or if they're rushing to get to the line and are trying to get the play off before B can substitute or match up. Now I don't care if B doesn't have the time to match up--that's good discipline by A--as long as they do it legally.

In fact, I had my first 7-2-1 flag last Friday night. I was R and I counted 10 Team A players and as I was signaling my wings, I see that the coach figure out that they're missing a WR and he pushes him out onto the field (Team A was already in formation and about to snap the ball). He lines up about 4 yards from the sideline, gets set, and the ball is snapped and he runs out for a pass while the Team B safety was running like hell to go cover him before the snap. It was obvious that this was a screw-up and not deliberate deception, but it still clearly put B at a disadvantage. Of course I waited until the snap which gave the WR about 3-4 seconds to either adjust or go in motion to inside the 9-yard marks, but it didn't happen so the flag flew at the snap. Coach didn't argue--he knew.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with your approach; however, this is not how we are being intructed to enforce the rule. We can either flag them when they don't come in or try to get them to come in. We can no longer just ignore the violation because no advantage is gained.
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with ignoring it if there is no advantage gained (he's not trying to be deceive) however I don't necessarily agree with trying to get them in either. He was standing four feet in front of my LJ in my last example with the HC standing right behind him. Had my LJ told him to get inside the numbers, especially when the snap was imminent and caused the WR to either false start or go in motion/shift illegally, then it's our fault and the HC most likely would've been upset at us for telling his player what to do. Therefore, we do everything we can not to coach per se. In other words, the classic example is that our wings will point out the LOS and will tell the split end if he's on or off the line, but we will not tell him to "move up" or "move back". Because the second we do that and he tells the coach that we're telling him where to go (in his words) then we're responsible. Not to mention all of this is technically unfair to the other coach. As always, we just need to use common sense and err on the side of caution--both literally and what our perception might be to others--and we'll be fine.