The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Try question?

When A is attempting a try whether extra point or two-point conversion, if B recovers is it a dead ball immediately or can they return it for a score (NFHS)?

Thanks,
Rob
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Rule 6.2.2 " Any receiver may catch or recover a scrimmage kick in the field of play and advance, unless it is during a try,..."

Dead Ball.
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Also 8.3.2 "The try begins when the ball is marked ready for play. It ends when a)B secures possession."
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Note that Oregon is in the second year of an experiment in implementing the NCAA rule where B can score during a try.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 01:11pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Note that Oregon is in the second year of an experiment in implementing the NCAA rule where B can score during a try.
I like this rule. In the CFL, B can return a try INT/fumble recovery for 2 points. They also run the clock during a try.

There was actually a game with an exciting finish:

Team B losing a fantastic game by 5, & scores a late TD. Now up by 1. Crowd is upset that the home team will lose. Of course being up by 2 means next to nothing, so they decide to go for 2 and the 3-point lead. At least that way, a Team A FG ties it. Well, A player INTs the forward pass on the try and runs it back 110+ yards for the touchdown: now team A up to 1 again. Crowd is going ape. TV annoucenrs are going ape. It was wicked!

In Cdn amateur, once B gets it, it is dead.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
Actually, Oregon is in its third year. Lots of fun. And this year I finally had one run back by the defense for a score at which point I realized that as R it was me doing the sprint to the goal line. Boy do I have a lot more respect for the back judges and line judges of the world.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mc
Actually, Oregon is in its third year. Lots of fun. And this year I finally had one run back by the defense for a score at which point I realized that as R it was me doing the sprint to the goal line. Boy do I have a lot more respect for the back judges and line judges of the world.
REPLY: Thanks for setting me straight, Bob. Kevin sent me the 2005 end-of season report on the experiment. Some interesting statistics...
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

BJ? heck, he usually has a 20 to 25 yard head start to begin with!

After two years, what's been the feeling of this experiment? Has there been enought returns to justify making an proposal to the NF to allow this? Have there been any blocked kicks, where A scores on the play?
Old Thu Sep 21, 2006, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey
...After two years, what's been the feeling of this experiment? Has there been enought returns to justify making an proposal to the NF to allow this? Have there been any blocked kicks, where A scores on the play?
REPLY: Tom...check your e-mail