The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Fed Question

These questions comes from a Fed coach.

1. Ok we have put no huddle into our offense this past off-season and have decided to use it for our next upcoming game which will be a big one for us (a meeting between two 2-0 teams). My question is when I run no-huddle and decide I want to have a TE set can I just send my TE in and pull my slot out? Is there some type of rule with this or am I good since there won't be 12 in the huddle or 12 on the field at any time?

2. I have a question about Kansas High school football
rules. Can anyone tell me if the 4th down fumble rule
that the Colleges and pros have is the same in high
school?. (i.e. - only the player that fumbles can
recover beyond the line of scrimage - if recovered by
another team member the ball is returned to the point
of the fumble).
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY:
1. Sure...no problem, you're good. It's just a substitution. The only requirement the sub would need to meet is being inside the 9-yard marks after the ready and before the snap. And the replaced player must begin to leave the field and proceed to his sideline 'immediately' (not specifically defined, but 3 seconds or thereabouts is considered reasonable). The fact that 12 players might be in or near the formation for an instant is really immaterial.

2. Federation has no special rules for dealing with fumbles that occur on 4th down, or tries, or fumbles that go forward OOB. Any player can recover. Now...if Kansas has any experimental rules in place that mirror the NCAA's, I wouldn't know.
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

No special rules for fumbles in Kansas right now. But why is JasonTX getting questions from a Kansas high school coach? You aren't hiding out doing NF rules are you Jason?
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenkicker
No special rules for fumbles in Kansas right now. But why is JasonTX getting questions from a Kansas high school coach? You aren't hiding out doing NF rules are you Jason?
Shhhhh. Can't let this get out... Got these from another forum and I had no clue.
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FootballRef05
I worked in Kansas for 2 years (damn it's hot there when HS football starts!) No special fumble rule when I was there in 2000 and 2001.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=JasonTX]These questions comes from a Fed coach.

1. Ok we have put no huddle into our offense this past off-season and have decided to use it for our next upcoming game which will be a big one for us (a meeting between two 2-0 teams). My question is when I run no-huddle and decide I want to have a TE set can I just send my TE in and pull my slot out? Is there some type of rule with this or am I good since there won't be 12 in the huddle or 12 on the field at any time?

/QUOTE]

Huddle or no-huddle all eleven players that participate in the play MUST come inside the numbers or the nine-yard mark AFTER the ready for play.

This year's rule book does a good job of defining players and substitutes. When a substitute comes on the field his intent is to replace one of the eleven players and the general guideline is the replaced player must leave in 3 to 5 seconds.

If you have 12 or more players on the field in defensive formation that must be flagged as you gain an advantage. Imagine, you are on offense and trying to match up when the defense has 12 players.

You can't!

Or, you have twelve men in defensive formation when the offense breaks the huddle and you run off the 12th man depending upon their offensive formation. You have the choice of going with a certain defensive package. That is an advantage.

The defense gains the advantage of delaying their decision as to what defensive alignment to use.

That would give the defense an advantage, even if, the 12th man exits the field before the snap.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

But Ed, the defense can substitute up until the snap, cant' they?
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe
But Ed, the defense can substitute up until the snap, cant' they?
REPLY: Sure...they can substitute up till the snap. What I think Ed's saying is that the defense can't put more than 11 plyers out there and then just wait to see what formation the offense comes out in and then pull off the players they don't need. It's really very simple: For either A or B. when a substitute enters, the replaced player must begin to leave in a few seconds. If he doesn't it's a dead ball foul for illegal substitution. So that if a team has more than 11 players on the field, it can only for a few seconds--just the reasonable timeframe for the excess replaced players to be notified that they've been replaced and begin to leave the field.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballRef05
I worked in Kansas for 2 years (damn it's hot there when HS football starts!) No special fumble rule when I was there in 2000 and 2001.
What do you consider 'hot' in Kansas? In Southern California, we have temps in the high 90s, and sometimes triple-digits at the start of the season. And in the LA area, SMOG.

Bob
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Well this year "hot" in Kansas got to about 112. It cooled off pretty quickly for the football season though this year. Other years it hasn't. I have worked Friday night games where it was still over 100 at 7 pm. On other days when we have multiple games earlier in the day it can be over 100 for 3 or 4 straight games. We're looking at lower 70s at kickoff this week so that will be nice. Just keep the rain away. I haven't been rained on during a game since 1999 though we have had lightning issues in three games.