The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Try question? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/28372-try-question.html)

fan Tue Sep 19, 2006 09:25am

Try question?

When A is attempting a try whether extra point or two-point conversion, if B recovers is it a dead ball immediately or can they return it for a score (NFHS)?

Thanks,
Rob

TNStripes Tue Sep 19, 2006 09:36am

Rule 6.2.2 " Any receiver may catch or recover a scrimmage kick in the field of play and advance, unless it is during a try,..."

Dead Ball.

TNStripes Tue Sep 19, 2006 09:38am

Also 8.3.2 "The try begins when the ball is marked ready for play. It ends when a)B secures possession."

Bob M. Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:29pm

REPLY: Note that Oregon is in the second year of an experiment in implementing the NCAA rule where B can score during a try.

JugglingReferee Wed Sep 20, 2006 01:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Note that Oregon is in the second year of an experiment in implementing the NCAA rule where B can score during a try.

I like this rule. In the CFL, B can return a try INT/fumble recovery for 2 points. They also run the clock during a try.

There was actually a game with an exciting finish:

Team B losing a fantastic game by 5, & scores a late TD. Now up by 1. Crowd is upset that the home team will lose. Of course being up by 2 means next to nothing, so they decide to go for 2 and the 3-point lead. At least that way, a Team A FG ties it. Well, A player INTs the forward pass on the try and runs it back 110+ yards for the touchdown: now team A up to 1 again. Crowd is going ape. TV annoucenrs are going ape. It was wicked!

In Cdn amateur, once B gets it, it is dead.

Bob Mc Wed Sep 20, 2006 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob M.

Actually, Oregon is in its third year. Lots of fun. And this year I finally had one run back by the defense for a score at which point I realized that as R it was me doing the sprint to the goal line. Boy do I have a lot more respect for the back judges and line judges of the world.:D

Bob M. Wed Sep 20, 2006 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Mc
Actually, Oregon is in its third year. Lots of fun. And this year I finally had one run back by the defense for a score at which point I realized that as R it was me doing the sprint to the goal line. Boy do I have a lot more respect for the back judges and line judges of the world.:D

REPLY: Thanks for setting me straight, Bob. Kevin sent me the 2005 end-of season report on the experiment. Some interesting statistics...

Theisey Wed Sep 20, 2006 04:03pm

BJ? heck, he usually has a 20 to 25 yard head start to begin with!:)

After two years, what's been the feeling of this experiment? Has there been enought returns to justify making an proposal to the NF to allow this? Have there been any blocked kicks, where A scores on the play?

Bob M. Thu Sep 21, 2006 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theisey
...After two years, what's been the feeling of this experiment? Has there been enought returns to justify making an proposal to the NF to allow this? Have there been any blocked kicks, where A scores on the play?

REPLY: Tom...check your e-mail