The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Looking to try Officiating

Hi,

I'm looking for any information anyone can provide on how to start officiating. I've always had a passion for the game and want to get more involved in the community I just moved to as well.

I live in Mountain View, California. (South of San Fransico) 29 years old. (also wondering if that's too young)

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Sean
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Sean,

Welcome to the forum! You might want to go to your local high school when they have a lower level game and ask the officials there on how to get started in CA. I hope that you do become an official. It will be one of the best things you will do in life.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Congratulations! Another option is to call the high school that's nearest and ask the Athletic Director for the name and contact info for the officiating organization that works their games. Usually it will be the commissioner, assignor (many times that's the same person) or the association president.

Good luck and stick around here....
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Sean,
29, young? Heck I started at 16 and am 29 right now. This is my 10th season working FB. So no, 29 is not to young. Actually, it is a pretty good time to get started.
As they said, contact a local school and see where they get their officials from. If they get them from an association, ask for the assigners name and phone number. If they hire them on their own, see if they would be willing to pass your name on to some that works for them. They probably won't give you individual names outside of an association, but who knows, maybe they will.
Start network now, this season isn't too soon. Find a local HS official and tag along to their game on Friday nights. Most crews will let you sit in on pregame, walk the field during the game, and ask questions if you have them. Remember, there aren't any bad questions. You might ask some foolish ones, but that's the best way to learn. Trust me, I've put my foot in my mouth a few times. Another thing in regards to asking questions/chatting with veteran officials, listen more than speak. You reduce your risk of coming off like a know-it-all that way.
Get registered with CA's high school league. Might be a little late for that but look into doing that next year. Think about purchasing the rule books. Since you will start off working underclass ball and the fact that California uses Federation rules, you can order this year's rule book at www.nfhs.org if you like. Don't pay too much attention to NCAA or NFL rules right off the bat. They're different and you don't want to confuse yourself too much.
Last, (I could go on and on) read the boards here and elsewhere. You will learn a ton of stuff. There are some things you probably shouldn't learn, but you will learn more here than reading the book alone. Also, check my site. I've collected numerous files from officials all over the country, and world, with tons of great advice and insights.
Welcome to the group. There is nothing better than officiating. It is a great time, you'll never regret your decision.
Grant
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsrc
As they said, contact a local school and see where they get their officials from. If they get them from an association, ask for the assigners name and phone number. If they hire them on their own, see if they would be willing to pass your name on to some that works for them.

First off, great advice everyone, thanks a lot. You've given me a great place to start.

Secondly, in the quote above, you mention how to network to get hired, but no one has mentioned what education I'd need. Will I receive that information from association? If they hire direct, how do they determine education level? I'll ask these questions to the person/persons in charge of hiring as well, but it's good to have a bit of knowledge going into the conversation.

I guess my main concern about officiating at my age was how much education I'd need prior and respect of age. Apparently, that's not a factor. I'll get a rulebook asap and set a goal to start officiating next year.

Thanks again!

Sean
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Check your private messages.
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Done, sent you an e-mail
Old Thu Sep 28, 2006, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

gibb, i'm in the same boat you are. i'm just browsing the football forum to pick up on some stuff. i still play football, so i won't be getting into officiating for a few years, but i want to get a leg up on the rules so i'm not cramming all at once.

and also, it's never too young to get into officiating. age really has nothing to do with it. think about it- what would be the difference between you taking your test at your current age, or waiting 5 or 10 yrs and taking it? absolutely nothing. so it's best to take it early so you have many many years of officiating. don't get hung up on age because it means nothing when it comes to officiating (but years of experience do!).

education prior- you'll probably have to complete a test to be certified (which is straight rules knowledge which is only half the battle). once you join a chapter, you will learn mechanics and other things that will help you on the field. hopefully your chapter has some form of training (because when i first started baseball as a youngster, i had NO help and NO training- i was pretty much self taught by reading these forums for 2 yrs and doing little league before i took my test and "graduated" to doing varsity ball for my local assoc). Hopefully when i get into football in my area the will help me out a little more.

but i'm in the same boat as you are- you'll see my simple questions pop up on these message boards here and there every so often, so don't feel bad when you gotta ask them.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

thanks boss, ya I don't know what I was thinking with the age thing. I guess I'm just stuck thinking of officials as old guys.

haha no offense to the vets on these boards
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Just to reinforce the age thing, I am 23 and in my 5th year (4th full-time varsity). If you're like me, officiating will be one of the most rewarding things you do. The season is always too short and the off-season is always too long. Good luck!