The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 09:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

The Michigan St., Virgina game was suspended due to poor floor conditions. The Richmond Arena is a multi-purpose arena with hockey ice underneath the basketball floor. Not much different than other arenas across the country.

Now the question that I have, what do we do if we suspend a game or call a game as a result of floor conditions or problems with the building? Does the NF have specific guidelines? I realize that this is mostly having to do with each State or Conference, but what would we do as HS officials? Do we play the game from where we called it, or do start all over, or what would happen if different officials are on the floor for the rescheduled game? What information do we keep and who keeps it?

What ramifications do we have to consider if this happens to us?

Peace
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think anyone would complain too much if game was suspended for player safety. Would catch more hell for allowing an injury to occur.
The referee should gather as much info as possible from home book. Gather coaches and ADs together and decide who contacts governing body. Game should restart from point of interruption with whatever officals are available if same crew is not available.
Refereee should back crew up by reporting as much info to booking agent or contact.

PS
Several years ago I had a conference tournament game get suspended due to power outage that lasted over 3 hours. Game was played the next afternoon with a new crew.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I have called several games that were suspended due to weather. Snow and Ice so I imagine it works the same way if you were to arrive on site and determine the game cannot be played due to Power, weather, or the like. We were under a tornado watch during last nights game and as the storm rolled in I mentioned to to partner that I don't have to call the game due to tornado. In any event, report what happened to the state, and/or your local chapter and let them handle it from there.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2001, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

I had one two years ago. Power went out with 6:28 to go in the 2nd quarter of a girls game. We waited for 30 minutes, when someone found out that there had been an auto accident and the power wouldn't be restored for 2 hours. I was the R, signed off on both books, noted the time, score, team fouls, AP arrow, and who had the ball and reported it to the booking agent.

They never finished the game.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Nov 29, 2001, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

A few years ago we had one stopped due to worsening weather conditions. Picked the game up a week later at point of interuption. Noted whose ball, arrow, time, etc in the book.