The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 12:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike
Actually the SEC has spoken and Rogers Redding confirmed both close calls were correctly dealt with.
Thanks.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually the SEC has spoken and Rogers Redding confirmed both close calls were correctly dealt with.
He has spoken. It doesn't mean that right calls were made, it means they were "correctly dealt with". Interpretation: I stand by the calls my men made on the field because they are my men. I have been here a time or two in basketball. We take our lumps, we shove on and play the next game. Congrats to AU though, they clearly (at this point) have a top 2 team. This game would have killed lesser men.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

One more point

Is it just me or could this promote the tackling of receivers with a defender knocking the ball away and this become accepted as it was not catchable? Playing devils advocate here. And still kind of hacked off as you can tell. I am not one of those guys that come here to aggravate a situation, I have been a lurker on the basketball forum for a while refining the trade.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 12:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerrookie
Is it just me or could this promote the tackling of receivers with a defender knocking the ball away and this become accepted as it was not catchable? Playing devils advocate here. And still kind of hacked off as you can tell. I am not one of those guys that come here to aggravate a situation, I have been a lurker on the basketball forum for a while refining the trade.
BTW, you can tackle a reciever if the ball is not catchable (while the ball is in the air).

You can give all the angles you like, the pass was not catchable. When a pass is not catchable, short of a personal foul you can make contact with a reciever. Also the only way this could be holding is if the ball was not in the air. The contact took place clearly while the ball is in the air. If the ball was tipped at the LOS, a defender could contact the reciever to prevent them from making the catch. You are just searching for an answer you are not going to get.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He has spoken. It doesn't mean that right calls were made, it means they were "correctly dealt with". Interpretation: I stand by the calls my men made on the field because they are my men. I have been here a time or two in basketball. We take our lumps, we shove on and play the next game. Congrats to AU though, they clearly (at this point) have a top 2 team. This game would have killed lesser men.
I realize you may not know much about Rogers Redding yet but since your school is in his conference, you are going to come to know him. And what you will find is that he WILL NOT make that kind of decision. He is going to go with what is right. I ddi not use his exact words but they were much more specific than "correclty dealt with". He explained why there could be no DPI as the ball was uncatchable.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

jRutledge is right on. I had a problem with this at first but it all comes down to the fact that the second auburn defender deflects the ball away making it uncatchable for the receiver. You don't have DPI on an uncatchable pass.

The DB that the deflected the pass saved his teammate from getting a DPI call. It's tough but it's correct.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2006, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I think you are clouded by your affiliation of the LSU Tigers. Once again, the play was changed by the officials on the field. This has been said a few times just on this board. Even on the tape, the play was changed by the officials and there was no review from the replay officials. Sounds pretty traditional to me.

Peace
Absolutely, and if you just said I was right I would at least feel a little better!
Old Fri Sep 22, 2006, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Broker,

What you and everybody I've heard gripe about this call have ignored is that the ball was well underthrown. The angle that Doucet was taking to the end zon was far too wide for the ball to have connected with him had there not been pass interference; without contact on the receiver and the ball, the ball is thrown well behind Doucet, who would not have been able to do a "stop180," which is what he would have had to do, from a full sprint, to catch the ball. The irony is that it was the grab by the Auburn defender that created a situation in which the ball at least had a chance to be caught; until, that is, it was knocked away, making it, for the second time, uncatchable.

jb
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 11:50am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

BTTT.

http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?p=521129
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 12:21pm

Quote:

It's just you. The kids are talented but you'd never be able to coach this. Not in a million years.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 01:02pm

Quote:
Mike-Do you know if he specifically mentioned or confirmed that the B was correct to throw his flag? Meaning that you throw and then, in a case like this, you have the need for someone on your crew to pull you off.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I realize you may not know much about Rogers Redding yet but since your school is in his conference, you are going to come to know him.
Let's try this:

Basically, Redding is to NCAA rules as Moses was to the Ten Commandments.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj
Mike-Do you know if he specifically mentioned or confirmed that the B was correct to throw his flag? Meaning that you throw and then, in a case like this, you have the need for someone on your crew to pull you off.
I don't recall RR talking to that issue (not something the media or crazed LSU fans would much care about anyway). If memory serves, flag was thrown by B and the F was the one who advised pass was not catchable. I can't imagine any supervisor who would want his guys to do otherwise. If you see it as a foul and believe pass was catchable you should flag. But others on the crew might have had a better angle and might be able to give you input that causes you to change your opinionof what you "saw". In that case it seems perfectly acceptable to allow yourself to be "taken off the call".

For the record, the SI still photo is a perfect example of what I have been screaming about for years now, camera perspective distortion. The SI Photographer is obviously using a huge telephoto lens. The result is it make the Auburn defender who knocked the ball away look much closer to the receiver than they were in reality. The video makes clear there was at least 2 yards of separation but the photo makes it look like they were right together. And for anyone who thinks the receiver might have been able to make a play on the ball had he not been held...he had to stop his pattern and jump up as the ball did not lead him enough. He was off the ground, not on the ground trying to run forward to the ball. Meanwhile, forward is where the defender knocked the ball away, making it uncatchable.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

First of all, I agree with the no call. Ball is uncatchable. However, in the first pic posted, I *think* the players look closer than they actually are. The Auburn defender that tipped the ball, when he tipped it, was at least 2 yards in front of the receiver with the receiver moving even further away at the time.

NOW, take the same situation but one where the tip by the second defender is close enough that you believe that without the contact by the first defender, the pass is catchable. In other words, put this same play closer. Do you have DPI then? I hate to sound like I'm thinking too much into it, but I think you have to consider it then.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 10:07am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
First of all, I agree with the no call. Ball is uncatchable. However, in the first pic posted, I *think* the players look closer than they actually are. The Auburn defender that tipped the ball, when he tipped it, was at least 2 yards in front of the receiver with the receiver moving even further away at the time.

NOW, take the same situation but one where the tip by the second defender is close enough that you believe that without the contact by the first defender, the pass is catchable. In other words, put this same play closer. Do you have DPI then? I hate to sound like I'm thinking too much into it, but I think you have to consider it then.
Yup.

IMHO, if the tip comes after illegal contact, and the ball is catchable after the tip, the DPI (or OPI) still remains a possibility.