The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Auburn-LSU PI non-call (https://forum.officiating.com/football/28334-auburn-lsu-pi-non-call.html)

voiceoflg Sun Sep 17, 2006 06:07pm

Auburn-LSU PI non-call

Question for those who saw the LSU-Auburn game or highlights. Pass is thrown but the DB tackles the intended receiver before the ball gets there. Also before the ball gets there, the ball is tipped by another DB. The ruling on the field was since the ball was tipped there is no PI and since the hold happened before the tip, there is no holding so the flag was waved off. I looked up the rules on ncaa.org and that appears to be the correct call. Since the next game I officiate will be my first, what are your thoughts?

BktBallRef Sun Sep 17, 2006 06:54pm

It wasn't DPI because the ball was batted away and was uncatchable, not because it was touched by B ending restrictions.

NickelDeuce Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:59am

It was DPI all the way. Really wasn't even that close. The BJ makes a great DPI call and got talked in to picking it up. The contact happened before the ball was tipped. I think in that particular play, since the DB that tipped the ball was so close to the other DB that made the contact, touching shouldn't have been an issue.

mcrowder Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:15pm

So, Nickel ... you think this ball was catchable?!?!?!

TXMike Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickelDeuce
It was DPI all the way. Really wasn't even that close. The BJ makes a great DPI call and got talked in to picking it up. The contact happened before the ball was tipped. I think in that particular play, since the DB that tipped the ball was so close to the other DB that made the contact, touching shouldn't have been an issue.

The SEC Supervisor does NOT agree with you and that pretty much says it all.

NickelDeuce Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:52pm

Pass was not catchable. I no longer think it's DPI.

brokerrookie Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:09am

Then what?

No pass interference huh? Well at a minimum this should be holding don't you think?http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/917/016066628na7.jpg

brokerrookie Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:12am

And what about

What about the call earlier in the game where Jesse Daniels intercepts the ball and they call pass interference? A pass that is intercepted is clearly uncatchable. Let's not forget the Jacob Hester fumble that is ruled an incomplete pass.

JRutledge Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:18am

So what you are saying is any contact is a foul? If that is what you are saying, you need to do more research as an official. Also holding you would have to actually hold someone. Two players diving and jumping in the air is not quite holding. I saw the replay and I have no problem with the call. The receiver never had a chance at the ball. You have to have a chance to catch the ball to have DPI in NCAA rules.

Peace

brokerrookie Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:39am

I'm Sorry

Sorry I didn't realize they were both jumping in the air at the time the foul was committed. Can I get a Pac-10 official in here with an apology?

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/1790/006aij2.jpg

voiceoflg Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:41am

Here is the play in question

I found it on youtube.

JRutledge Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokerrookie
Sorry I didn't realize they were both jumping in the air at the time the foul was committed. Can I get a Pac-10 official in here with an apology?

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/1790/006aij2.jpg

You still have to be able to catch the pass. Where the pass is ends up matters. Showing all the angles does not change that fact. If that contact took place and the ball was not touched and ended up in the back of the EZ, then it would not be a foul. The officials got this right and maybe why you have not heard an apology or any reference about this play from the SEC.

Peace

brokerrookie Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:57am

Seems to me

Seems that without the defenders arm draped around the receiver he could have adjusted to at least have a play on the ball. I am by no means a football official (basketball, and yes I have blown calls), but a play that affects the outcome, was called on the field, but overturned by replay officials seemed odd. I know it happens but in the manner that the officials met, discussed, walked to the sidelines, made the announcement and then overturned. And before anyone asks, yes I have LSU season tickets. I wish this could have been sorted out by traditional means.

TXMike Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
You still have to be able to catch the pass. Where the pass is ends up matters. Showing all the angles does not change that fact. If that contact took place and the ball was not touched and ended up in the back of the EZ, then it would not be a foul. The officials got this right and maybe why you have not heard an apology or any reference about this play from the SEC.

Peace

Actually the SEC has spoken and Rogers Redding confirmed both close calls were correctly dealt with.

JRutledge Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:09pm

Quote:

Seems that without the defenders arm draped around the receiver he could have adjusted to at least have a play on the ball.

I do not know that I agree with that. I have been a football official for some time know and I have no idea how the receiver would have been able to "adjust" and make a play on a play of this nature. But an uncatchable ball is a judgment call.

Quote:

I am by no means a football official (basketball, and yes I have blown calls), but a play that affects the outcome, was called on the field, but overturned by replay officials seemed odd.

I was under the impression that the officials on the field made this decision and this was not made by the replay official at all. You cannot review a penalty situation in the first place.

Quote:

I know it happens but in the manner that the officials met, discussed, walked to the sidelines, made the announcement and then overturned. And before anyone asks, yes I have LSU season tickets. I wish this could have been sorted out by traditional means.

I think you are clouded by your affiliation of the LSU Tigers. Once again, the play was changed by the officials on the field. This has been said a few times just on this board. Even on the tape, the play was changed by the officials and there was no review from the replay officials. Sounds pretty traditional to me. ;)

Peace